Locked STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obligatory: The Last Jedi sucked.

I still strongly feel that Disney/Lucasfilm screwed up big time with the Star Wars brand with the direction that they chose. They should have continued with the story a few years after Return of the Jedi and just recast all the characters with new actors. In that way, they could have expanded the adventures of Luke, Han and Leia ad infinitum.

Franchise was already killed with those terrible prequels; that someone is still fucking the corpse doesn't bother me as much as the killing. Therefore I think the Disney Star Wars is better than 1-3.

I think if you are a kid when any of this was released it's all good (original / prequels / disney / doesn't matter), that's the intended audience anyway.

From the recent article the key points:

Abrams: “That’s the challenge of this movie,” Abrams says. “It wasn’t just to make one film that as a stand-alone experience would be thrilling, and scary, and emotional, and funny, but one that if you were to watch all nine of the films, you’d feel like, Well, of course—that!

“This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before.”

Sources close to the movie say that Skywalker will at long last bring to a climax the millennia-long conflict between the Jedi Order and its dark shadow, the Sith.

Picture of Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and Rey battle it out with lightsabers in a stormy confrontation. Their Force-connection—what Driver calls their “maybe-bond”—will turn out to run even deeper than previously revealed.

Driver says, “and it kind of ends with the question in the air: is he going to pursue that relationship, or when the door of her ship goes up, does that also close that camaraderie that they were maybe forming?”

Rey, of course, who sources say will have progressed in her training since the end of The Last Jedi to the point where it’s almost complete.

A source close to the movie says that their Force-connection will turn out to run even deeper than we thought. They’re uniquely suited to understand each other, but at the same time they are in every way each other’s inverse, down to Kylo’s perverse rejection of his family, which is the one thing Rey craves most. “I think there’s a part of Rey that’s like, dude, you fucking had it all, you had it all,” Ridley says. “That was always a big question during filming: you had it all and you let it go.”

“It’s nice having that shot at the beginning of the teaser,” Ridley says, over avocado toast at a fancy Chicago hotel, “because I think it’s quite a good visual representation of where she is now: confident, calm, less fearful.… It’s still sort of overwhelming, but in a different way. It feels more right—less like inevitable and more like there’s a focus to the journey.”

“I think he’s just an active member of the Resistance now,” Boyega says. “Episode Eight, he couldn’t decide what team he was fighting for. But since then he’s made a clear decision.”

There has been a bit of shared history that you haven’t seen,” Isaac says. “Whereas in the other films, Poe is this kind of lone wolf, now he’s really part of a group. They’re going out and going on missions and have a much more familiar dynamic now.”

Disney will have released five Star Wars movies in five years. “I think there is a larger expectation that Disney has,” Kennedy says. “On the other hand, though, I think that Disney is very respectful of what this is, and right from the beginning we talked about the fragility of this form of storytelling. Because it’s something that means so much to fans that you can’t turn this into some kind of factory approach. You can’t even do what Marvel does, necessarily, where you pick characters and build new franchises around those characters. This needs to evolve differently.”

Regardless of whether or not Star Wars has changed since 1977, the world around it has, profoundly. “There’s a loss of innocence, a sense of innocence that existed in the 70s that I don’t think to any extent exists today,” Kennedy says. “I think that has to permeate the storytelling and the reaction to the stories and how they’re set up. It has to feel differently because we’re different.”

“Evil needs to feel and look very real,” Kennedy says, “and what that means today may not be as black-and-white as it might have been in 1977, coming off a kind of World War II sensibility.”

The Rise of Skywalker might be that point. “Working on nine, I found myself approaching it slightly differently,” he says. “Which is to say that, on seven, I felt beholden to Star Wars in a way that was interesting—I was doing what to the best of my ability I felt Star Wars should be.” But this time something changed. Abrams found himself making different choices—for the camera angles, the lighting, the story. “It felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, Fuck it, I’m going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something.”

“This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before,” Abrams says. “And it’s the sins of the father, and it’s the wisdom and the accomplishments of those who did great things, but it’s also those who committed atrocities, and the idea that this group is up against this unspeakable evil and are they prepared? Are they ready? What have they learned from before? It’s less about grandeur. It’s less about restoring an old age. It’s more about preserving a sense of freedom and not being one of the oppressed.”

Abrams: “The idea of the movie is kind of how I felt going into the movie as a filmmaker,” he says, “which is to say that I’ve inherited all this stuff, great stuff, and good wisdom, and the good and the bad, and it’s all coming to this end, and the question is, do we have what it takes to succeed?”
Thank you for breaking it down like this... Great key points you posted here!! Lots to consider. Can't even begin to speculate just yet.

Abrams: “That’s the challenge of this movie,” Abrams says. “It wasn’t just to make one film that as a stand-alone experience would be thrilling, and scary, and emotional, and funny, but one that if you were to watch all nine of the films, you’d feel like, Well, of course—that!

“This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before.”

Sources close to the movie say that Skywalker will at long last bring to a climax the millennia-long conflict between the Jedi Order and its dark shadow, the Sith.

Picture of Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and Rey battle it out with lightsabers in a stormy confrontation. Their Force-connection—what Driver calls their “maybe-bond”—will turn out to run even deeper than previously revealed.

Driver says, “and it kind of ends with the question in the air: is he going to pursue that relationship, or when the door of her ship goes up, does that also close that camaraderie that they were maybe forming?”

Rey, of course, who sources say will have progressed in her training since the end of The Last Jedi to the point where it’s almost complete.

A source close to the movie says that their Force-connection will turn out to run even deeper than we thought. They’re uniquely suited to understand each other, but at the same time they are in every way each other’s inverse, down to Kylo’s perverse rejection of his family, which is the one thing Rey craves most. “I think there’s a part of Rey that’s like, dude, you fucking had it all, you had it all,” Ridley says. “That was always a big question during filming: you had it all and you let it go.”

“It’s nice having that shot at the beginning of the teaser,” Ridley says, over avocado toast at a fancy Chicago hotel, “because I think it’s quite a good visual representation of where she is now: confident, calm, less fearful.… It’s still sort of overwhelming, but in a different way. It feels more right—less like inevitable and more like there’s a focus to the journey.”

“I think he’s just an active member of the Resistance now,” Boyega says. “Episode Eight, he couldn’t decide what team he was fighting for. But since then he’s made a clear decision.”

There has been a bit of shared history that you haven’t seen,” Isaac says. “Whereas in the other films, Poe is this kind of lone wolf, now he’s really part of a group. They’re going out and going on missions and have a much more familiar dynamic now.”

Disney will have released five Star Wars movies in five years. “I think there is a larger expectation that Disney has,” Kennedy says. “On the other hand, though, I think that Disney is very respectful of what this is, and right from the beginning we talked about the fragility of this form of storytelling. Because it’s something that means so much to fans that you can’t turn this into some kind of factory approach. You can’t even do what Marvel does, necessarily, where you pick characters and build new franchises around those characters. This needs to evolve differently.”

Regardless of whether or not Star Wars has changed since 1977, the world around it has, profoundly. “There’s a loss of innocence, a sense of innocence that existed in the 70s that I don’t think to any extent exists today,” Kennedy says. “I think that has to permeate the storytelling and the reaction to the stories and how they’re set up. It has to feel differently because we’re different.”

“Evil needs to feel and look very real,” Kennedy says, “and what that means today may not be as black-and-white as it might have been in 1977, coming off a kind of World War II sensibility.”

The Rise of Skywalker might be that point. “Working on nine, I found myself approaching it slightly differently,” he says. “Which is to say that, on seven, I felt beholden to Star Wars in a way that was interesting—I was doing what to the best of my ability I felt Star Wars should be.” But this time something changed. Abrams found himself making different choices—for the camera angles, the lighting, the story. “It felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, Fuck it, I’m going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something.”

“This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before,” Abrams says. “And it’s the sins of the father, and it’s the wisdom and the accomplishments of those who did great things, but it’s also those who committed atrocities, and the idea that this group is up against this unspeakable evil and are they prepared? Are they ready? What have they learned from before? It’s less about grandeur. It’s less about restoring an old age. It’s more about preserving a sense of freedom and not being one of the oppressed.”

Abrams: “The idea of the movie is kind of how I felt going into the movie as a filmmaker,” he says, “which is to say that I’ve inherited all this stuff, great stuff, and good wisdom, and the good and the bad, and it’s all coming to this end, and the question is, do we have what it takes to succeed?”
cliffs

She didn't change her clothes after all this time? You didn't see Luke wear his farmboy get up in ROTJ.

She didn't change her clothes after all this time? You didn't see Luke wear his farmboy get up in ROTJ.

Nope she has a few of them.. but she does have a certain style that seems to be kept in all the choices they make for her outfits.

reymask-1.jpg

65fe96d4edae228e71dbab3d665962f3.jpg

dfdbfbaffd8b0826f75b8ef30f5b837e.jpg

star-wars-portfolio-06-2017-ss02.jpg

tumblr_p5dt9iyDiF1v03umko2_540.gif

New-The-Last-Jedi-8-Star-Wars-Rey-Cosplay-Costume-Adult-Women-Halloween-Carnival-Cosplay-Costumes.jpg_640x640.jpg

star-wars-episode-9-group.jpg

star-wars-episode-9-rey.png

Rey's parentage will be answered according to Daisy in new interview with USA TODAY:

Q: "The Force Awakens" was a familiar, fun reintroduction to the "Star Wars" universe, while "The Last Jedi" was a darker, riskier installment. How does "The Rise of Skywalker" compare?

Ridley: Genre-wise, it’s different from the other two, which will become clear when the film comes out. It's quite emotional. There's a different drive than the previous two films, but there's a lot of fun. I really missed John (Boyega) during the last one, but we're back together and now Oscar (Isaac) is part of it. To me, it felt like kids going on an adventure.

Q: There's been an intense obsession with Rey's parents, and many fans were dissatisfied when they were revealed to be "nobodies" in "The Last Jedi." Is there more to their story in the new film?

Ridley: (Director J.J. Abrams) did say the question is answered. So at the end of the film, you do know what the dealio is.

Q: People lost their minds for Rey's backflip over a TIE fighter in the "Rise of Skywalker" trailer. How much of that was actually you?

Ridley: I had learnt a version of it, but there was a risk of breaking ankles so I couldn't do the full thing. But there’s a bit in the film where you see me upside down. It's funny because I did 95% of my (stunts), but that's the one thing I didn't fully do. People are like, "Oh, that’s so cool," and I’m like, "Ugh."

Q: Are there any "Episode IX" fan theories that you find particularly amusing?

Ridley: I haven’t seen much this time, but last time I found it pretty hilarious because people were talking about time travel and that Kylo Ren was a baby. It was nuts. The one thing (with "Skywalker") was my agent’s son said, "I bet you the title is going to be blue," and I was like, "How’d you know that?"

Q: Writer/director Rian Johnson received a ton of backlash online after "The Last Jedi," with many fans petitioning to remake the film and redeem Luke Skywalker's character. Were you surprised at all by the controversy?

Ridley: I wasn't surprised, no. It’s just a different thing. Everyone’s going to have an opinion now anyway on the internet, but I also think it’s fair. If people hold something incredibly dear and think they know how it should be and it's not like that, it’s fair for people to think they were done wrong. It doesn’t mean they were – ultimately, Rian’s a filmmaker and one person can’t dictate how a film is supposed to be – but freedom of expression, sure.

Rey's parentage will be answered according to Daisy in new interview with USA TODAY:

Q: "The Force Awakens" was a familiar, fun reintroduction to the "Star Wars" universe, while "The Last Jedi" was a darker, riskier installment. How does "The Rise of Skywalker" compare?

Ridley: Genre-wise, it’s different from the other two, which will become clear when the film comes out. It's quite emotional. There's a different drive than the previous two films, but there's a lot of fun. I really missed John (Boyega) during the last one, but we're back together and now Oscar (Isaac) is part of it. To me, it felt like kids going on an adventure.

Q: There's been an intense obsession with Rey's parents, and many fans were dissatisfied when they were revealed to be "nobodies" in "The Last Jedi." Is there more to their story in the new film?

Ridley: (Director J.J. Abrams) did say the question is answered. So at the end of the film, you do know what the dealio is.

Q: People lost their minds for Rey's backflip over a TIE fighter in the "Rise of Skywalker" trailer. How much of that was actually you?

Ridley: I had learnt a version of it, but there was a risk of breaking ankles so I couldn't do the full thing. But there’s a bit in the film where you see me upside down. It's funny because I did 95% of my (stunts), but that's the one thing I didn't fully do. People are like, "Oh, that’s so cool," and I’m like, "Ugh."

Q: Are there any "Episode IX" fan theories that you find particularly amusing?

Ridley: I haven’t seen much this time, but last time I found it pretty hilarious because people were talking about time travel and that Kylo Ren was a baby. It was nuts. The one thing (with "Skywalker") was my agent’s son said, "I bet you the title is going to be blue," and I was like, "How’d you know that?"

Q: Writer/director Rian Johnson received a ton of backlash online after "The Last Jedi," with many fans petitioning to remake the film and redeem Luke Skywalker's character. Were you surprised at all by the controversy?

Ridley: I wasn't surprised, no. It’s just a different thing. Everyone’s going to have an opinion now anyway on the internet, but I also think it’s fair. If people hold something incredibly dear and think they know how it should be and it's not like that, it’s fair for people to think they were done wrong. It doesn’t mean they were – ultimately, Rian’s a filmmaker and one person can’t dictate how a film is supposed to be – but freedom of expression, sure.

Didn't she get the memo? She's supposed to call everyone who didn't like The Last Jedi a sexist racist toxic piece of shit. You can't tell people they're allowed to have a different opinion about the movie. There will be chaos, anarchy, cats and dogs living together.

Didn't she get the memo? She's supposed to call everyone who didn't like The Last Jedi a sexist racist toxic piece of shit. You can't tell people they're allowed to have a different opinion about the movie. There will be chaos, anarchy, cats and dogs living together.
She is essentially pulling a Game of Thrones season 8 cast interview. Being diplomatic while subtly letting fans know "I get it".

lol.

A far cry from:

CNN interviewer: Looking back, do you think any of the criticism was fair?
RJ: No, no. <shakes head>
Mark Hamill: <sarcastic> We love ruining ppl's childhoods <looks at camera smiles and gives a thumbs up>

When she said JJ already answered the question (Rey's parents) I didn't realize that a few months ago JJ already said "There is more to that story" in IX.

Franchise was already killed with those terrible prequels; that someone is still fucking the corpse doesn't bother me as much as the killing. Therefore I think the Disney Star Wars is better than 1-3.

I think if you are a kid when any of this was released it's all good (original / prequels / disney / doesn't matter), that's the intended audience anyway.

Revenge of the Sith shits all over FA and TLJ. Hell, the Darth Maul scene in PA is better than both those movies:rolleyes:

Mass hysteria!:D

Having to read Kennedy of all people speak about respect to source material is unbearable.

Prob has that good stank down below .

<escalate99>

Having to read Kennedy of all people speak about respect to source material is unbearable.

I liked what KK said in that article.. now it could only be good PR from her, so remains to be seen.

I'm sure Disney would have loved 2 Star Wars movies a year one in May and one in December but they did mistakes and now will focus on TV show and come back in a few years on that December date.

In retrospect my only real issues with KK is that she shouldn't have decided to go with the Solo movie (yes I like TLJ and I'm on sherdog xD) no one really asked for that and I feel maybe she should have rein in Rian a bit on some of the choices that stick out and are harder for some fans to accept (ex: myself even now I'm not a fan of that throw the iconic lightsaber hilt away after we waited 2 years for that moment to continue).. I think it all comes down to TLJ being a movie for grown ups and forgetting that adventure fun side of kids and then half the hard-cores expected Luke to hulk out and be the God Jedi.

<{imoyeah}>

Last edited:
Mass hysteria!:D

Funny you should say that..

That's what I'm feeling about all them Endgame fans.. they literately took a dump on the great Thanos character from Infinity War and you are celebrating some of those moments in your avatar.

Yet that's the subjectivity of movies, you like stuff that I don't like and round and round we go.

tenor.gif

You silly goose you.

Michelle+Rejwan+Star+Wars+Celebration+Rise+nLmtu4Z4SCZl.jpg

Funny you should say that..

That's what I'm feeling about all them Endgame fans.. they literately took a dump on the great Thanos character from Infinity War and you are celebrating some of those moments in your avatar.

Yet that's the subjectivity of movies, you like stuff that I don't like and round and round we go.

While it was far from perfect, it's difficult to see how else they could have handled it. Thanos from that point in the time line had to be different from his future self.

I'd swap it for a gif from a great Batman movie, but there hasn't been one of them in more than a decade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back