News Stephen Thompson Uninterested in Leon Edwards Bout; Prefers a Fight with Nick Diaz

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Stephen Thompson joins growing list of fighters uninterested in Leon Edwards bout

stephen-wonderboy-thompson.jpg

“[I’m]Not really [interested in fighting Edwards]. If I were to be honest, If he ever comes back, Nick Diaz would be a really good fight. Interesting fight for sure. He’s very tough. I think I said something on Twitter the other day about how I would welcome him back to the division for sure,” Thompson said, speaking to Submission Radio.

“But Leon Edwards, he doesn’t have a fight coming up. But I feel almost bad for the guy, because he literally is the guy in the top five who deserves to fight for the title, and I think that him not being able to get out of London and fight had something to do with it, that’s why they put up Gilbert Burns. But he definitely deserves the title for sure." We’re managed by the same management company, and I just kind of feel bad that he hasn’t fought for it yet.

FULL STORY HERE: https://themaclife.com/featured-pos...wards-bout-throws-hat-ring-nick-diaz-contest/

On fighting Nick Diaz

“I just wanted to put my name out there,” he said. “That’s a guy who’s been in the game a long time, he’s a veteran and he’s fought some really good guys. I love the Diaz brothers, just their whole demeanor and their attitude, that’s just who they are. They’re not faking anything about it. And you gotta respect that. That’s just who they are, these guys. They crack me up, it’s awesome. They’re some tough dudes.”

“I think it would be a great test back for him. I’m ranked number six right now. Obviously trying to move up the rankings, if he beats someone in the top 10, maybe in one or two more fights, he could be fighting for a title cause he’s got a name. You’ve seen guys doing that, guys that are popular in the division, go to a division, have one or two fights [and get the title shot].”

Meh. I love Wonderboy and all, but he needs to fight a real contender if he really wants to rebuild himself and get back in title contention at his age. That's Leon. Edwards deserves as much, too. Guy has been outright neglected lately.

Nick isn't relevant these days. All he's got going for him is name recognition.

Stephen Thompson joins growing list of fighters uninterested in Leon Edwards bout

“[I’m]Not really [interested in fighting Edwards]. If I were to be honest, If he ever comes back, Nick Diaz would be a really good fight. Interesting fight for sure. He’s very tough. I think I said something on Twitter the other day about how I would welcome him back to the division for sure,” Thompson said, speaking to Submission Radio.

“But Leon Edwards, he doesn’t have a fight coming up. But I feel almost bad for the guy, because he literally is the guy in the top five who deserves to fight for the title, and I think that him not being able to get out of London and fight had something to do with it, that’s why they put up Gilbert Burns. But he definitely deserves the title for sure." We’re managed by the same management company, and I just kind of feel bad that he hasn’t fought for it yet.

FULL STORY HERE: https://themaclife.com/featured-pos...wards-bout-throws-hat-ring-nick-diaz-contest/

On fighting Nick Diaz

“I just wanted to put my name out there,” he said. “That’s a guy who’s been in the game a long time, he’s a veteran and he’s fought some really good guys. I love the Diaz brothers, just their whole demeanor and their attitude, that’s just who they are. They’re not faking anything about it. And you gotta respect that. That’s just who they are, these guys. They crack me up, it’s awesome. They’re some tough dudes.”

“I think it would be a great test back for him. I’m ranked number six right now. Obviously trying to move up the rankings, if he beats someone in the top 10, maybe in one or two more fights, he could be fighting for a title cause he’s got a name. You’ve seen guys doing that, guys that are popular in the division, go to a division, have one or two fights [and get the title shot].”
Just fight him

On fighting Nick Diaz

Why so we could see Run-there-boy?

No thanks

I wouldn't be interested in a fight with leon if i was him too, imagine beating a guy with no name value who is a very tough fight. In the end of the day this is all leon's fault, he's not the most exciting fighter on the planet and refuses to promote his fights, the only times he goes on twitter is to be cringe

We already saw Diaz vs Condit, and Condit was a more reckless striker than Thompson, and it was SUPER boring. In fact, one of the worst title fights in UFC history. Worse than any Woodley or Usman fight. People forget this. LOL

I don't want to see two guys who don't want to go first staring at each other, while the other guy just taunts to make it seem like he wants the smoke, but he really doesn't. LOL

The Diaz bros wait for the opponent to beat up on them first, so they can do something. Thompson is point-fighter first, and he is not necessarily looking to destroy the opponent, but to pick him apart.

This match-up often turns up to be boring.

I'd much rather fight Nick Diaz coming off a long, long, long break then fighting Leon Edwards too if I'm WB.

One fight is most likely a win. The other fight is most likely a loss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
africancelary
Back