News Stephen Thompson Uninterested in Leon Edwards Bout; Prefers a Fight with Nick Diaz

Damn, that's some no so subtle duck right there.

Everybody ducking Leon Edwards.

I guess Smokin Joe's quote applies, "you're good, you're a brotha, and you're a southpaw."

Diaz is easy money right now for some of these guys...everyone is calling Nick out

This doesn't seem smart. Everyone wants to be Nick's comeback fight. A big name who'll get attention despite not fighting for 5-6 years. Rusty and old. Yet because it's Nick a loss against him wouldn't be that bad. A win-win-win.

Yet these fighters have to realize at which stage Nick is in his career. It's at the end. Last few big fights. Not the number 6 guy or a so-so prospect in Gall. They don't draw. It's Masvidal, Conor, a GSP or Anderson rematch. Or Khabib at whichever weight. Maybe Ferguson if he beats Dustin (just for me).

BIG fights.

WB is standard draw. He's ranked #6. Nick doesn't care about those things. He does care about the martial art WB brings, Nick's always been big on traditional ("ninjas"). So 1/3, probably a no.

While Leon would be the win WB needs to get back into contention. And it's a favorable match-up.

But, who knows, I get the feeling WB is thinking about retirement. Maybe the gold isn't as important to him now than it once was. Pushing 40, as well. Hence avoiding a contender and rather have a big event with Nick.

It puts him over the top. Leon’s best win is RDA. He looked really good but that’s not the kind of win you can just sit on and expect a shot. Losing the Woodley opportunity sucks. He was going to win IMO and that would have been enough. Given the delay and the other contenders lurking he needs a fight. WB has one somewhat flukey loss to Pettis and otherwise (IMO) has not lost since the very first loss of his career.
I see what your saying. That match up really don't move the needle for me. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good.

Wait I thought these guys were booked for October? This would be a good match up for WB.

Why aren't fighters honest about wanting a fight that is more lucrative?

"It would be a really good fight. He's tough etc..

It's annoying af.

Just tell it like it is. You want an easier fight against a bigger name.

He doesn’t care about the title, he wants easy money fights.

Be careful what you ask for WB cuz it bit you in the butt against Pettis

"I think is the scariest guy in the division, he really is. Every time you see this guy fight, he gets better. I mean, he comes into the UFC a striker. Now he’s out wrestling, out grappling guys like RDA, even Vicente Luque when they fought. He was outwrestling him, taking him down, controlling him on the ground. He gets better every time you see him, and those are the guys that you really have to watch out for, really have to study for. Guys like Colby Covington and Usman with that wrestling base, you kind of know what they’re bringing to the game. But with someone like Leon Edwards, he gets better, he’s a scary opponent.”
This is the exact reason why Edwards is ducked.

Ohh F off.
I don't wanna fight a top contender in my division I wanna fight a guy who hasnt fought in over 5 1/2 YEARS.
I get the UFC has made belts far less relevant, but I'm really sick of this bullshit of everyone wanting payday fights that offer nothing but spectacle.

lol wonderboy just giving leon a hard time lol nick diaz? lmao..obviously edwards vs wonderboy is a title eliminator.

come on guys did you see nick diaz in that video. what is wrong with the dude.. i doubt he can even fight at all--which is why wonderboy saying his name is a joke and hilarious to me--its people just showing respect to him..which is cool bc he needs it clearly. talking about nick-

This is hilarious at this point. Edwards being ducked by everyone in the division bc of his nonexistent name value.
its not name value--its bc edwards just sat thinkning he would get a title shot--this is why dana likes guys that fight--come on yall--leon fucked up and he is paying the price--maybe he will catch on--people dont like conor sitting on this cowboy win thinkning hes next after such an easy win. well thats what leon did with rda except its been like 2 years lmao what an idiot

Edwards doesn't deserve the fight. But if he gets it, good for him.

I think his message here was actually Leon deserves a title shot not him. Saying they are from the same management group implies they have talked about it and agreed it doesn't help either of them much.
lots of people not understanding at all where Wonderboy is coming from here lol....

Honestly, I know Wonderboy sometimes says he wants the belt and such, but I really think he's looking for bigger "payday" type fights and to get out in the next few years. His school keeps him busy, his YT channel is pretty good and he can very easily translate to a high level MMA Coach etc.

I mean, if he really wanted to fight for the belt and he thinks Leon is worthy of a title shot, then he'd fight Leon.
I know youre not the only one here not seeing it so sorry for just singling you out on it.....

but hes saying that he will/would feel terrible if he went in there and beat Leon and knocked him away from a title shot he feels that Leon has already earned

NMF for sure

No interest in karate boy vs. diaz. Watching Diaz getting pointed to death usually isn't fun to watch and does nothing for Karateboy's resume or gets him anywhere in the rankings. IMO that would be a completely pointless fight, but Karateboy probably wants it because it would be a bigger money/easier fight. Can't blame him I guess.

Wonderboy would run away and not engage. No point. If anything, him and Leon kind of deserve each other. But it would be an uneventful decision as well.

Thompson wants an easy money fight
Feel bad for Edwards though
I say give him Nick, not sure Diaz would accept though

Stephen Thompson joins growing list of fighters uninterested in Leon Edwards bout

stephen-wonderboy-thompson.jpg

“[I’m]Not really [interested in fighting Edwards]. If I were to be honest, If he ever comes back, Nick Diaz would be a really good fight. Interesting fight for sure. He’s very tough. I think I said something on Twitter the other day about how I would welcome him back to the division for sure,” Thompson said, speaking to Submission Radio.

“But Leon Edwards, he doesn’t have a fight coming up. But I feel almost bad for the guy, because he literally is the guy in the top five who deserves to fight for the title, and I think that him not being able to get out of London and fight had something to do with it, that’s why they put up Gilbert Burns. But he definitely deserves the title for sure." We’re managed by the same management company, and I just kind of feel bad that he hasn’t fought for it yet.

FULL STORY HERE: https://themaclife.com/featured-pos...wards-bout-throws-hat-ring-nick-diaz-contest/

On fighting Nick Diaz

“I just wanted to put my name out there,” he said. “That’s a guy who’s been in the game a long time, he’s a veteran and he’s fought some really good guys. I love the Diaz brothers, just their whole demeanor and their attitude, that’s just who they are. They’re not faking anything about it. And you gotta respect that. That’s just who they are, these guys. They crack me up, it’s awesome. They’re some tough dudes.”

“I think it would be a great test back for him. I’m ranked number six right now. Obviously trying to move up the rankings, if he beats someone in the top 10, maybe in one or two more fights, he could be fighting for a title cause he’s got a name. You’ve seen guys doing that, guys that are popular in the division, go to a division, have one or two fights [and get the title shot].”

You don't want none of this bro
8AL6zHE.gif

Fuck that.

Wonder boy would hop around and kick from a distance. That's not the comeback fight I want to see for Nick

Back