*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
FP9Vb9saMAIsA46

Don't think anyone thought there were a 10-8 after the scores were read.

Sterling had 19-13 significant strikes in the first round which doesn't surprise me 2 of the judges saw it in his favor. Lack of activity cost Yan the round, which has been the story of his career in first rounds. It would be rough for sterling to have 50% more significant strikes and lose the round.

I am not arguing that aljo didnt win the rd or the fight. Just saying that is not a 10 8. This is my main argument.

Well yeah I agree, maybe round 2 because he took like 10 unanswered shots. But i think arguing about 10-8s is pointless because it is confirmed there was no 10-8s

round 1 needs to be discussed more than anything

How was round 2 a 10-8? What are you smoking? Controlling a position doesn’t make the round a 10-8x you have to do a lot of significant damage

Pretty sure in Nevada 10-8 is a lot easier. I don't think Florida has adopted the same scoring rules though

Yan should have fought out of those bad positions and not whine after the fact or throw blows after the horn.
Yan is the “better” fighter. Aljo is the “smarter” fighter
I mean I'm not sure what your arguing.

I'm just saying it shouldn't be called a 10 8

I recognize Sal but I don't know the other two guys.

Aljo didn’t land anything significant. Yan was the aggressor landing the more significant shots . Sterling landed good on the ground but not on the feet.

Sterling landed the better shots in round one, and 30% more. You're the same guy that tried telling me that Yan was a better grappler than Aljo, though, so I'm not surprised to see that you're still on that Yan ship. Aljo won. People just don't like how he did it.

Yan should have fought out of those bad positions and not whine after the fact or throw blows after the horn.
Yan is the “better” fighter. Aljo is the “smarter” fighter

Better is interesting. He was badly exposed on the ground. One dimensional might be Yan's problem.

Everyone did. No way Sterling won that first round or the fight. He was controlled in 3 rounds while he was running and panic wrestling.

2/22 takedown attempts

It used to be. They said they revised all that a while back to give out 10-8s more often and that you could do it with simply control.

It's more likely if one guy is on his back getting pummeled by GNP for 5 mins straight.

Sterling having a body lock, throwing a few punches and trying to get the RNC for the entire round isn't exactly the same.

I mean I'm not sure what your arguing.

I'm just saying it shouldn't be called a 10 8
Certainly no 10-8s

I am more laughing at the fact that Yan has now lost twice to Aljo. I found it funny When Yan said he won round 2.

<Dany07>

Well yeah I agree, maybe round 2 because he took like 10 unanswered shots. But i think arguing about 10-8s is pointless because it is confirmed there was no 10-8s

round 1 needs to be discussed more than anything
That's the rd I need to re watch. The other ones were much easier to score.

rnd 1 is a 10-10 feeling out rnd
fight is a draw
Well too bad there is no dedicated feeling out round and 10-10 is not applicable here.
It has to be scored 10-9 and strikes come before aggressiveness in scoring. That's the rules.

MEDIA SCORES
Drake Riggs
MMAMania.com 48-45 Sterling
Nick Baldwin
theScore 48-46 Sterling
Matthew Wells
MMAJunkie.com 48-46 Sterling
CombatPress.com 48-46 Sterling
Scott Fontana
New York Post 48-46 Sterling
MMAMania.com 48-46 Sterling
Jay Pettry
Sherdog.com 48-46 Sterling
Tristen Critchfield
Tyler Treese
MMAJunkie.com 48-46 Sterling
Seán Sheehan
SevereMMA.com 48-47 Sterling
Nolan King
MMAJunkie.com 47-47 DRAW
Dayne Fox
BloodyElbow.com 47-47 DRAW
Marcel Dorff
Eurosport Nederland 47-47 DRAW
Hadi Mohamed Ali
albiladpress.com 47-47 DRAW
Ryan Frederick
WrestlingObserver.com 47-47 DRAW
Dan Levi
Best Fight Picks 47-48 Yan
Dominik Durniat
ddreporter Tv 47-48 Yan

Dana still wants that Russian market.
Lol so you post only the ones that fit your narrative. Most had Yan winning

honestly even if yan won the split i'd still be upset. terrible performance. yan with the low fight iq and aljo turtling / backpacking / exploiting downed opponent rules.

How do u win round 1 getting out struck? And nobody took each other down lmao.

because there were no 10-8 rounds. Sterling did 0 damage in all that time he had control.

Well too bad there is no dedicated feeling out round and 10-10 is not applicable here.
It has to be scored 10-9 and strikes come before aggressiveness in scoring. That's the rules.
Why is it not applicable?
10-10 rnds are allowed.

Better is interesting. He was badly exposed on the ground. One dimensional might be Yan's problem.
Both fighters struggled when the other was on top or had the dominant ground position.

overall, I still think Yan is the “better” fighter while Aljo is the smarter fighter who knows how to use the rules to his advantage, knew to draw Yan into fighting emotional, and implemented his game well until Yan eventually took over.

I do not know if Yan really “took round one off” because if he did, that’s just dumb. I think Aljo just out hustled him in R1 and it paid off.

Back