*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
In round 2 Sterling had 3:50 of control time and out struck Yan by 42-21.
In round 4 Yan had 3:51 of control time and out struck Sterling by 48-8

The only reason half of you think Sterling had a 10-8 but ignore the statistically more dominant round by Yan is because you had lower expectations for Sterling.

No round in that fight was a 10-8, it's clearly 48-47 either way depending on how you score the 1st.

See a lot of people scoring 10 8 for Aljo. Holding a position for a whole round doing nothing with it does not equal a 10 8 round. You don't see people getting 10 8 for staying in guard a whole round. In a 5 round fight and especially 3 round fights, 10 8 rounds is a pretty damn huge impact on a scorecard so they shouldn't be handed out just for holding a position.

Ur ignorance is showing...

Guard isnt the not the same as back mount with a body triangle on lol...

Sterling controlled the whole round...landed strikes... flattened petr out and went for chokes...

The correct analogy would be a fighter sitting in mount the whole round...in which yes that would be a 10-8 ...

Petr did nothing offensive that round and therefore that means he was dominated

The only reason half of you think Sterling had a 10-8 but ignore the statistically more dominant round by Yan is because you had lower expectations for Sterling.

No round in that fight was a 10-8, it's clearly 48-47 either way depending on how you score the 1st.

I had it 48-47 Yan (rounds 1,4,5), but I can see the argument for a 10-8.

God forbid backpacking someone an entire round is a 10-8. If they start scoring it like that nobody will watch MMA in 6 months or less.

I dont think so, he was in a superior position but didn't have any submissions locked in nor did he land really any significant strikes. he only held a position

I'd argue that it is stalling in many cases and should be stood up just like holding someone against the cage or in guard and doing nothing

Agreed. After 4 minutes, it's stalling.

Aljo had ten minutes.

This is the fundemental issue with "dominant position".
It's not full mount. Yan showed why, and what the difference is.

What did he do in the entire fight to warrant a win? To take the title home you need to decisively beat the champ. It was his own fault Sterling became the champ and the onus was on him to prove the title belonged to him. He did not deserve to take the title home last night.

Getting DQed for not knowing the rules in the first fight and then putting up a lackluster performance in the subsequent rematch is deserving of the title? Nah... the title is in the right hands.

aljamain-sterling-ufc-title.jpg

the tears taste delicious

Only 18-8 in significant strikes though. Sterling round was 17-4 in significant strikes. Also pretty much all of Yan’s control time was not in positions as dangerous as full back mount. You’re intentionally skewing the stats to fit a narrative.

With the ten point must system, a 10-8 should need damage. Even if someone is in dominant position, if there's no significant damage, it should be 10-9. In my opinion. I absolutely hate the new 10-8 rules. In a three round fight, it's almost impossible to overcome. It also gives idiot judges the opportunity to fuck up a fight outcome more.

Just my two cents, lol.
I think the problem is they don't give enough 10-8 rounds; there should be a difference between winning a round that could have gone either way and the judge is basically forced to flip a coin to pick a winner (if you give many 10-10 rounds you don't get hired again) and being dominant for the round.

When the Peter's lil hoodlums have to downplay Aljo's dominant rounds where the most damage and domination took place... and then you look at Peter's rounds... that says it all. Also the fact that Aljo outstruck Peter in round 1. The belt is in the right hands indeed.

You can always tell the people that post here that have never done one competitive thing in their life. You can tell the TS has never done any grappling because he uses the “guard” as his example when controlling someone’s back is a much more dominant position. Quite possibly the most dominant position.

people have no clue how hard it is to hold a guy like Yan’s back for 2 rounds.

But Aljo didn’t do anything …. Soooooooo

This isn’t a wrestling match. He did nothing. He had maybe 1? Attempt at a choke. Should be a 9.5 round. Implement half scoring because tonight the better fighter “lost”

Man is this post stupid

What did he do in the entire fight to warrant a win? To take the title home you need to decisively beat the champ. It was his own fault Sterling became the champ and the onus was on him to prove the title belonged to him. He did not deserve to take the title home last night.

Getting DQed for not knowing the rules in the first fight and then putting up a lackluster performance in the subsequent rematch is deserving of the title? Nah... the title is in the right hands.

aljamain-sterling-ufc-title.jpg

the tears taste delicious
Lots of hypocrisy in this post. You mentioned that you have to decisively beat the champ to take home the title, yet Aljo didn't do that either time. It's so contentious that you have to make a thread about it.

Last edited:
Back