Strickland fought like a better prime Nick Diaz

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
The stance and the way he lifted his knee and used the front kick to create distance, the constant pressure

that performance reminded me of a way better Nick Díaz. Better because Díaz would have eaten all those kicks, but Strickland was so locked in he evaded and checked everything

people are saying Izzy was off, I honestly think Strickland was just that good. I don’t know what Izzy could have done differently. He fought the way he always does. Gastelum almost took his head off years ago; but Izzy is much older and Strickland is much bigger

Izzy excels against people who are timid and play into his game. He will point fight you to death or catch you with the counter

Stricklands defense was incredible and he was countering Izzy’s counters… something no one really does because of the pressure

the problem with pressure fighters is sometimes they have to eat a lot of shots and counters going forward… Strickland was like fricken Machida evading everything while moving forward

The way Strickland fought was incredible, but that game plan would have gotten shred up by a wrestler due to the stance. Izzy should have grappled honestly

FWwdBRWXkAAdFhw.jpg:large

The stance and the way he lifted his knee and used the front kick to create distance, the constant pressure

that performance reminded me of a way better Nick Díaz. Better because Díaz would have eaten all those kicks, but Strickland was so locked in he evaded and checked everything

people are saying Izzy was off, I honestly think Strickland was just that good. I don’t know what Izzy could have done differently. He fought the way he always does. Gastelum almost took his head off years ago; but Izzy is much older and Strickland is much bigger

Izzy excels against people who are timid and play into his game. He will point fight you to death or catch you with the counter

Stricklands defense was incredible and he was countering Izzy’s counters… something no one really does because of the pressure

the problem with pressure fighters is sometimes they have to eat a lot of shots and counters going forward… Strickland was like fricken Machida evading everything while moving forward

The way Strickland fought was incredible, but that game plan would have gotten shred up by a wrestler due to the stance. Izzy should have grappled honestly

Izzy didn’t seem to be his best but it was also a very effective game plan. Strickland seems to be adding some pop as he matures as a fighter. Front kick is a nice weapon to include.

Would like to see Dricus vs Strickland next but seems like we may not.

I was waiting for a slap to be honest and a middle finger and a pointing and laughing as Izzy ran. Got none of those and Strickland just kept walking forward. If nate did that maybe he would’ve reached champion status. Things that make you go hmmmm

Yea that’s a fair assessment. Diaz style pressure and volume, with better defense, a nice front kick, and marginally more power.

If them Diaz boys had great leg checks they would be goats

Nate picked it up at the tail end of his career and broke Pettis off with a block I iirc…

Sean surprised me blocking the kicks whereas I initially thought that would be Izzy’s coin jar. Props to Sean and his kick defense awareness.

He had better defence then most of em had. They relied on chins. But defence makes you win easier on points and saps their cardio more then hitting a punching bag. Deflecting and straight making somoene miss makes it much harder energy wise on retracting those shots.

Strickland that good.... I'll have to see how Izzy responds in his next fight to even say what I just did. Most of Izzy past opponents are better than Strickland from athleticism to skills. Maybe Izzy is just done like Woodley , Usman and many others who got old.

That thought entered my mind as well.

Both guys have Solid hands and boxing, very good pressure in the pocket, and crazy cardio.

Sean did really well not going for the finish when Izzy would cover up. I think Nick would try to pour it on but besides the first round sean was very calculated and never got baited into wild exchanges

Even his post fight sounded like a Diaz interview..

“I think I’m one of the best strikers in the world, I spar world class boxers for 12 rounds every day”

Izzy's boxing has always been mediocre. In a pure boxing world most guys would beat him

Strickland just been the more motivated guy. The hungrier fighter.

Mans been sparring all day every day. His type of sparring is all out war. They don't hold back.

Whereas Izzy just been riding around in his Mclaren. Hard to be motivated when you're at the top for so long.

I don't even think he wins the rematch. The Izzy era might be over. But I do hope he gets to fight DDP. That would be a real grudge match.

Back