SUMO - 2022 Aki Basho (Sept. 11th - 25th)

And with that Tamawashi has as many yusho as the 72nd Yokozuna Kisenosato.
With his age it would be a great opportunity to retire while his body is still intact. But with the current opposition you can't fault him for trying to get another one. Could also be the start of an ozeki run.

Mitakeumi definitely looked injured this basho. Shodai physically appears to be healthy but fought worse than a lot of injured guys.

I wanna know what it's like being Shodai's coach during a tournament.

Takayasu now has 6 jun-yushos, I wonder what the record is for someone who's never won a yusho.

Former sekiwake takatoriki disclosed the reason behind shodai's ongoing slump, diabetes.

Former sekiwake takatoriki disclosed the reason behind shodai's ongoing slump, diabetes.

How does having diabetes explain getting pushed out of the dohyo in 20 seconds? That's not how diabetes works. Unless we're saying Shodai doesn't know how/what to eat because of his blood sugar level going too high/low.

I run between 5-10k every tuesday on my treadmill, and to make sure my blood sugar level doesn't drop while i'm running i have a little chocolate bar beforehand, and that will counteract my level dropping in the next hour while i run. There isn't an exercise on the planet that i could do for 30 seconds to a couple of minutes that would be hampered by me having diabetes.

Again, maybe i've misunderstood but that excuse isn't valid in my opinion.

Last edited:
How does having diabetes explain getting pushed out of the dohyo in 20 seconds? That's not how diabetes works. Unless we're saying Shodai doesn't know how/what to eat because of his blood sugar level going too high/low.

I run between 5-10k every tuesday on my treadmill, and to make sure my blood sugar level doesn't drop while i'm running i have a little chocolate bar beforehand, and that will counteract my level dropping in the next hour while i run. There isn't an exercise on the planet that i could do for 30 seconds to a couple of minutes that would be hampering by me having diabetes.

Again, maybe i've misunderstood but that excuse isn't valid in my opinion.

This is the same man who needed to be told to warm up first.

Diabetes and its complications are historically giving sumo wrestlers nightmares and are known as the major cause of their early retirement.

Fatigue, loss of focus, altered consciousness, frequent faint all affect training and fight performance as well as daily life. Those chronic symptoms could attack you any minute regardless of carb consumption.

Former sekiwake takatoriki, however, has a habit of exaggerating the facts and letting his imagination run away too far sometimes. He might be just making a guess based on something he learned from Chinese whispers. (Or Mongolian? )

But again severe diabetes is a serious condition that could cost wrestlers career.

Warmed up post-diabetic Shodai will be yokozuna

Source? I tried googling "Takatoriki Shodai diabetes" and this post was like the first relevant result that came up.

Last edited:
32 Makuuchi wrestlers participated in the 79th All Japan Rikishi tournament at Kokugikan. It's a regular round-robin tournament that was on hiatus that past several years due to COVID.

Your winner
FeIlAYfacAAFGiO

32 Makuuchi wrestlers participated in the 79th All Japan Rikishi tournament at Kokugikan. It's a regular round-robin tournament that was on hiatus that past several years due to COVID.

Your winner
FeIlAYfacAAFGiO
How do they have time to do a round-robin with 32 rikishi? Trying to find the match results for this tournament but my google fu is failing me.

Also because Hakuho has to do Hakuho shit

hahaha, nice. Hiro Morita has a video of the event i'm guessing this was done at. they also did a guinness world record for most people doing shiko stomps at the same time.

Terunofuji might be done after double knee surgery.

Probably January, I think March. He wasn't going to get the operation but the Sumo Association told him it's probably a good idea. He's got some good will built up with all the hard work he put in and they desperately need a Yokozuna because these bum ass Ozeki ain't it.

I'm pretty certain that both wakatakakage and Hoshoryu will be ozeki sooner or later as long as they're free from major injuries. But my imagination hits the wall when I try and visualize them performing unryu-kata. In other words, I think it might take them much further improvement to reach the highest position.

A few months ago, former yokozuna Hakuho made a bold statement that the best wrestler in the current makuuchi rankings he thinks is Takayasu which took me by a little surprise.

Focused Takayasu might be promoted back to ozeki in the real life scinario, but him being yokozuna is unthinkable to me.

Why there is no yokozuna candidate today, in my opinion, has the same reason as to why there's no white American boxer fighting heavy weight championships.

The last white hope in boxing was terminated when Gerry Cooney's short range hooks started looking comical. Since then, WASP in American boxing almost always means someone fighting from UK. Did something happened to American white man's punching ability? Nope. Are they discriminated against by WBC and other organizations? Nope. They have disappeared from the competition because Americans came to a conclusion sometime during the civil rights movement that it is no longer a white people's job.

Mongol invasions in sumo (from 2000- current) made such a tremendous social impact that they tend to only accept a Mongolian as a real yokozuna. Every single non-mongolian ozeki promoted during the last 2 decades except for one wrestler failed to move up or even successfully maintain the position (not just mitakeumi and shodai, everyone) because of their firm belief that only mongolians deserve to be the king of the sport.

Once Mongol invasion is over with the retirement of terunofuji (unless mitoryu increases training time by 300%), I think the domestic talent pool will be filled with fresh water again.

Back