Social Tennessee lawmakers pass bill to allow teachers to be armed

Too many psycho and incompetent teachers in public schools for this to make sense.

That said, some teachers at my kids' private school carry, and I'm really glad they do. Our school is a very hard target and an active shooter wouldn't make it far given our armed and trained security and the handful of teachers who carry.

Seems like classism

Last edited:
Fuck this. Especially the part where parents and coworkers don't have the right to know who is armed. Sorry, but I don't want my child being taught by someone concealing a handgun. And if I was a teacher I'd want to know if one of my coworkers was walking around armed.

The people who see this as a "solution" to school shootings and not fucking crazy, are mentally ill.
Everyone where I live is armed most of the time. Doesn't bother me one bit. You would probably be confined to the fetal position, uncontrollably crying.

This is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" argument. Right wingers will use it to say we dont trust teachers and will immediately go to homosexuality or teachers who "teach trans."

The distinction must be made about factoring in the stress levels and pressures that already exists being a teacher, and now legally suggesting they need to get into gunfights inside schools. Getting into gunfights in schools is so stressful we've seen trained Law Enforcement actively refuse to do it.

This seems disingenuous to me because you're making the claim that they're saying teachers NEED to carry guns. Tell me what I'm missing if I am but it doesn't sound like they're going to force people to have guns. They're just going to let people have guns if they want them. Those are two way different things.

I would imagine there are plenty of teachers who would much rather carry a gun than not due to that kind of threat.

Personally, I do not think teachers with guns is an answer though and have serious misgivings about it but for other reasons. Carrying a gun requires an extreme level of discipline and you really can't allow yourself to get into any kind of altercations of any kind or even intervene in any kind of dispute if you're carrying a gun because the gun and the presence of the gun makes that situation a life and death situation when it normally wouldn't be.

I think if a teacher carries a gun in school even if it's concealed carry, they should be barred from engaging in any kind of action whose intervention is physical, even breaking up a fist fight between students. But then that's just less teachers in the school that can handle the day to day events that come up.

This seems disingenuous to me because you're making the claim that they're saying teachers NEED to carry guns. Tell me what I'm missing if I am but it doesn't sound like they're going to force people to have guns. They're just going to let people have guns if they want them. Those are two way different things.

I would imagine there are plenty of teachers who would much rather carry a gun than not due to that kind of threat.

Personally, I do not think teachers with guns is an answer though and have serious misgivings about it but for other reasons. Carrying a gun requires an extreme level of discipline and you really can't allow yourself to get into any kind of altercations of any kind or even intervene in any kind of dispute if you're carrying a gun because the gun and the presence of the gun makes that situation a life and death situation when it normally wouldn't be.

I think if a teacher carries a gun in school even if it's concealed carry, they should be barred from engaging in any kind of action whose intervention is physical, even breaking up a fist fight between students. But then that's just less teachers in the school that can handle the day to day events that come up.

You did see where I said legally suggesting right?

Do we have an epidemic of teachers coming to school and shooting their students ?

I have zero problems with this. Our children should be protected from those who would do them harm.

Train . Put it in a holster and under your shirt. It's attached to you all day and out of sight unless something happens . Where's the problem ? And for whatever potential problem you think you can come up with .....is it worse than ulvalde or columbine?

So many people I know carry and I'm around guns constantly....and nothing ever happens. I really don't see the issue with this at all.
The problem with the teacher having a gun though, is that there are often physical altercations in schools and no teacher with a gun attached to their body should intervene in any kind of physical altercation. I can see it actually making them unable to carry out their duties in many cases and introducing a serious element of danger to those already hot-headed situations.

You did see where I said legally suggesting right?

You said legally suggesting they NEED to carry guns in the context of introducing unwanted stress into their lives.

This bill that I don't support is allowing people who already want to carry guns to do so. That's not the same thing as what you said at all.

You said legally suggesting they NEED to carry guns in the context of introducing unwanted stress into their lives.

This bill that I don't support is allowing people who already want to carry guns to do so. That's not the same thing as what you said at all.

A suggestion is a suggestion dude. You can suggest I need to carry a gun without forcing me to do so.

A suggestion is a suggestion dude. You can suggest I need to carry a gun without forcing me to do so.
its dishonest framing. they are not suggesting any particular personnel "needs" to carry a gun and so are introducing unneeded stress. that paints the teacher as a victim in the situation.

what they are doing instead is making it legal to do so for those that want to do it.

I still think its an I'll thought out policy but we might as well frame it honestly and dispute its actual faults rather them make them up.

We don't yet.

I have a huge problem with militarized schools, especially considering the political landscape going on with people trying to get control of school boards due to their political biases. I generally dont like the idea of armed agents of the State between myself and my kids.

There isnt just danger of the person carrying themselves doing something bad, there's a fundamental problem with the "good guys with guns" argument because in multiple school shootings where armed present officers did nothing. But we default to that adding more guns is the answer. We already had an incident in one State of a kid finding a random gun in a bathroom. Lol
What's your solution then? We are all ears. Let me guess, more gun control?

The problem with the teacher having a gun though, is that there are often physical altercations in schools and no teacher with a gun attached to their body should intervene in any kind of physical altercation. I can see it actually making them unable to carry out their duties in many cases and introducing a serious element of danger to those already hot-headed situations.

It's not like they don't make all different levels of retention and teachers are all alone in the building.

Seems like classicism
I think you mean classism, but that's a fair take. The city school district in the town where I live is run by total mouth-breathers. Types who don't want cops around because cops may shoot the kids or scare them or something. As one person I have no influence on this, so I put my kids in a better place that is safer and has smarter admin and teachers. No guilt.

its dishonest framing. they are not suggesting any particular personnel "needs" to carry a gun and so are introducing unneeded stress. that paints the teacher as a victim in the situation.

what they are doing instead is making it legal to do so for those that want to do it.

I still think its an I'll thought out policy but we might as well frame it honestly and dispute its actual faults rather them make them up.

When abortion bans happen they dont all target IVF clinics, but IVF clinics ultimately shut down because they see the landscape of their operation (and ultimately they are targeted). When you pass a bill allowing teachers to be armed, you are suggesting they should be armed.

There are different tiers of security measures that can be taken that dont need to place guns inside classrooms and kids in direct lines of fire in tentative gunfights.

I think you mean classism, but that's a fair take. The city school district in the town where I live is run by total mouth-breathers. Types who don't want cops around because cops may shoot the kids or scare them or something. As one person I have no influence on this, so I put my kids in a better place that is safer and has smarter admin and teachers. No guilt.

I did indeed but I'm a retard who can't type

But just the same shitty poor kids and kids with moron parents deserve to be protected too.it just seemed funny to me that it's good enough for your school but not someone else's

Everyone where I live is armed most of the time. Doesn't bother me one bit. You would probably be confined to the fetal position, uncontrollably crying.

No, I just don't want my child around someone I don't know all that well all day while they're armed.

But keep living your fantasy tough guy life. Nobody's stopping you.

Well that's not really his solution—it's the solution. There are hundreds of millions of guns in the country and half the population fosters a culture of gun glorification. This is the problem. I know people like to say it's not, but it is, and it's obvious that it is.

If you have a room full of 100 angry people and there are no guns...what are the odds somebody is going to get shot? Zero.

If you throw 50 guns into that room, what are the odds somebody is going to get shot? A lot higher than zero.

Extrapolate that situation out to this nation of 300 million people, tens of millions of whom have been brought up thinking guns are toys and gun violence is cool. You wind up with absurdly high gun violence rates and mass shootings, and people look at it like it's some cosmic mystery with no perceivable causes or solutions. It's not a mystery. It's simple cause and effect.

But twenty years ago Conservatives loved saying how it's not about the number of guns in the country. Twenty years later they say well there are already so many guns that it's impossible to stop it.

Well whatever. Throw more guns into the mix. Arm the teachers and janitors. Put glocks in glass cases next to the fire axes. Once the Conservative dream is complete and every man, woman, and child is strapped 24/7, then clearly gun violence will be solved.

Retards.

Back