Social Tennessee lawmakers pass bill to allow teachers to be armed

So you’re expecting teachers to be John Rambo.
Good god. Y’all will go to just about any lengths to do anything other than address the problem.
Plenty of regular people in the world carry guns and are able to shoot and defend themselves. It doesn't take John Rambo to do that. And in an active shooter situation why wouldn't you want innocent people to defend themselves?

And this would help solve the problem. Wonder why people don't shoot up police stations?

Running away and hiding give you a MUCH better chance of surviving a mass shooter than engaging. Especially if you're surrounded by children.
Well then your point can be inverted in the same way you used it. Running away and hiding is not the only means of defense against a school shooter. Nearly anyone on earth would rather run and hide while having a gun than running and hiding while not having a gun.

As a parent nearly 100% of the time, I would rather that the teacher also had a gun in case of a shooter breaking into the room.

This is such a terrible idea. I would predict zero shootings get stopped and more than likely a teacher "has a bad day" and shoots himself or a student when he reaches his boiling point. Scenario B the teacher gets over powered or their gun stolen.

People really over estimate how well they can shoot in a high stress situation.
I have serious misgivings about this policy also but can see the plus side to it. With proper training, if a teacher was waiting in the classroom at the door and the shooter broke the door down or shot it down to get into kill students, I think there's a very good chance that teacher gets the first shot in on the shooter.

The thing its just so absurd that we're even having this discussion and need to. It's just such a terrible unthinkable absurd situation that any solutions we come up with are also themselves. Absurd.

Personally, I dislike the framing that people are trying to turn schools into fortresses. I think very effective measures can be taken in schools to ensure that shooters can't shoot through doors or break through doors to kill students. And I dislike the framing that we are trying to turn them into fortresses when I think that's actually a really good solution.

Lockable blastproof doors are the very best idea I can think of for securing a school along with many other measures that are not contradictory to that.

If a plan was well thought out, I'm sure you could coordinate with law enforcement so that they had access to all those doors and can open and close them at will.

Strategically placed security doors could also be put in hallways to wall off various sections of a school. And yeah, it's absurd that we are thinking of this, but it happens enough that it's probably a good idea.

Democrats are against teachers arming themselves because they know it will deter school shootings. If school shootings stop their whole anti-gun grift begins to fall apart. They want innocent children to be slaughtered so they can continue to disarm the American people.
<{walkerwhut}><bball1>

Well then your point can be inverted in the same way you used it. Running away and hiding is not the only means of defense against a school shooter. Nearly anyone on earth would rather run and hide while having a gun than running and hiding while not having a gun.

As a parent nearly 100% of the time, I would rather that the teacher also had a gun in case of a shooter breaking into the room.

If you would get into a gunfight with kids around you, handgun vs AR, in an enclosed space, then I'd be very thankful youre not that teacher with a gun.

We live in clown world. They don't even do this in 3rd world conflict stricken shitholes. How did it get so bad that this might be the new norm for this generation.
<Ellaria01>

Running away and hiding give you a MUCH better chance of surviving a mass shooter than engaging. Especially if you're surrounded by children.
But both is better than just one which was your point inverted against you.

If you would get into a gunfight with kids around you, handgun vs AR, in an enclosed space, then I'd be very thankful youre not that teacher with a gun.
This is really dumb.

The gunman enters the room to shoot all the kids in the room and the teacher, but the teacher is waiting by the door to shoot the gunman. You really think that's worse than no guns at all?

I also have misgivings about it but we are in anabsurd situation and with the right training and the right teacher the kids would be better off with someone with a gun.

Nearly all the solutions end absurd because it's an absurd situation. That's the problem.

But both is better than just one which was your point inverted against you.

What? I dont think I advocated specifically for either running or hiding. If you're talking about adding a gun, it's hard to imagine a worse course of action in the given scenario. It all bit guaranteed bullets flying in fits of rage and fear.

Do we have an epidemic of teachers coming to school and shooting their students ?

I have zero problems with this. Our children should be protected from those who would do them harm.

Train . Put it in a holster and under your shirt. It's attached to you all day and out of sight unless something happens . Where's the problem ? And for whatever potential problem you think you can come up with .....is it worse than ulvalde or columbine?

So many people I know carry and I'm around guns constantly....and nothing ever happens. I really don't see the issue with this at all.
The thing is you have to constantly train and recertify people on this. You can’t just have them showing up with whatever and having whatever training they went and did on their own. Who’s going to pay for this? And shouldn’t they get a raise if we added armed guard to their list of responsibilities?

This is really dumb.

The gunman enters the room to shoot all the kids in the room and the teacher, but the teacher is waiting by the door to shoot the gunman. You really think that's worse than no guns at all?

I also have misgivings about it but we are in anabsurd situation and with the right training and the right teacher the kids would be better off with someone with a gun.

Nearly all the solutions end absurd because it's an absurd situation. That's the problem.

Why would a teacher be waiting by the door to shoot the gunman if the gunman randomly entered the room? Lol teachers need to teach. They arent going to be exclusively posted up by a door. And yes, I think there is significant argument to be made that a gunfight in an enclosed space full of terrified children is an altogether bad idea.

I think the kids are better off with better design of the school, and someone who can think quickly to hide them and evacuate them, and I dont find it convincing that adding a firearm skirmish makes the situation better.

I wish I could find it but there was a video where a guy who had some shooting experience did a drill about this from inside a classroom with like ballistic dummies where the kids would be. He kept either repeatedly killing kids, or drawing fire towards them while getting shot himself. And it didnt even have the chaos of the kids screaming, crying, and running around.

Plenty of regular people in the world carry guns and are able to shoot and defend themselves. It doesn't take John Rambo to do that. And in an active shooter situation why wouldn't you want innocent people to defend themselves?

And this would help solve the problem. Wonder why people don't shoot up police stations?

Stop it. People engage in shootouts with police at a staggering rate in this Country. The CiCi's Pizza shooting here was targeting Cops, only 2 Cops, 1 hero who tried to intervene, and the shooters died. Dont act like police having guns means no one attacks them.

In the bill teachers have to register themselves, the gun, pass mental health screening, and have qualification and periodic training. This is so the children and everyone around them is safe.
Well if you're going to do it then I'd think this is a good start. Like I said before, I'd like to see that any off body carry is prohibited. Interested to see how many teachers commit to doing all of this.

Strongly disagree again. Any altercation is exactly where a gun would get exposed and used. You can't bring deadly force into a situation that does not require deadly force. Everyone who I know who has guns knows this, so I'm surprised you as an ex cop are arguing otherwise. It's basic principles that if you carry a gun you don't ever get to get involved in any s*** of any kind unless absolutely necessary.

And that means that your basic teacher would be useless 99.9% of the time at school if they had a gun on them and I think that has to be considered. Or else some other tragic thing is going to happen..

But I'm not even really against teachers having guns, but the kind of training it would take has to be pretty serious to avoid unintended consequences. And I'm not even sure that every school would have a suitable teacher for that job let alone several.

Yep, we disagree. I have fought countless people with my gun open carry and never had an issue. Maybe along with gun retention, they go through some defensive tactics training as well. My point has been that it needs to be more than 40 hours. More like 40 days

Shit I think shooting drills with the police should be mandatory for everyone on the monthly. Spend my tax dollars well . I'm a nerd and really like that kind of thing and want everyone else to too and think it would be great for people to know their neighbors cops and teachers. There's always one totally unexpected performer in the bunch and finding out who it is is always fun.

Then you would have loved my Christmas present to my brothers one year. I arranged a ride along for both of them(my oldest got to go twice) and part of it was wearing a bite suit and taking bites from one of the k-9s. The first day, it was my oldest and I, and he got to see me make a felony arrest and they guy resisted and got slammed on the hood two feet from my brother and I looked over and his jaw was on the floor. I think it is moments like that where my family got to see a different side of me and I wasn’t just the little brother anymore

Soon mandatory Kevlar vests for every teacher/student/staff member in a school and Americans will still treat it as normal. Meanwhile no other civilized nation on the planet has to resort to this lunacy.

Luckily, it's looking like only the ass backwards towns of 20 people, 15 which are relatives, are moving forward with this.

Surely putting guns in every school is the right idea. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Everyone will be properly trained and the weapons will be properly stored, surely.

It will definitely be handled equally across dozens of independent school districts with varied amounts of funding.

Back