Law Texas social media anti-censorship law goes into effect

Obviously dumb law but some people go full retard when it comes to social media. Don't even know how you'd apply this law, most of the time when people get banned its for breaking ToS so I don't see how this changes anything.
Twitter HQ is in San Francisco. How does TX stop them from banning someone? Any idea?

Fox News isn't protected by lawsuits like social media is with section 230.

that doesn’t change anything. If Fox News had this same status they’d still would not want to sacrifice their ability to moderate their platforms. Rightfully so because this notion that you’re entitled to a private media companies platform to host your opinions is just that, entitlement.

Conservatives are just throwing their hands up and saying “we suck, we can’t make a social media platform we don’t end up hating. We want to use the ones these guys built however we want and want big daddy government to make it so.” It’s a big bitch fit

This is gonna be one of those things that they are all for when its on their side but not when it gets taken to the extremes and does not support their views

Can't wait for them to start screeching when Twitter stops moderating ISIS supporters (or whatever the next Islamist terrorist organization is).

They never think more than one step ahead.

Forces private media companies to dedicate the platforms they built to host content they do not wish to.

This is like arguing Fox News now needs to open up its TV segments to any political content people wish to air because they are popular.

I have big problems with this type of law, but are you sure that's what this is like? Like, are you REALLY going to leave that comparison up without modification?

I live in Texas where compelled speech isn't a thing, thank God, but ur naive if u think the left isn't pushing for it.

I'm not afraid of boogeymen under the bed trying to jail me for not supporting the trans ideology.

I'll speak freely, you'll do the same, neither of us will go to jail despite the contrived political discourse.

You're worrying about nothing.

I'm not afraid of boogeymen under the bed trying to jail me for not supporting the trans ideology.

I'll speak freely, you'll do the same, neither of us will go to jail despite the contrived political discourse.

You're worrying about nothing.
I really hope u are correct.

LOL, right to "ISIS wins"...

This will not interfere with them banning terrorist organizations from using their platforms. Not that they ever gave two shits about that anyways. What's the Taliban up to today?

You think ISIS is going to apply for a blue check mark or something? How is Twitter or Facebook supposed to know that an account belongs to ISIS vs some sympathizer who has the right to express their political beliefs under this law?

Sounds unconstitutionally vague

Twitter HQ is in San Francisco. How does TX stop them from banning someone? Any idea?

Thats what im wondering.
Is it gonna be that they have to allow anything coming from a TX ip?
if so....cool vpn

like Im not sure how this is going to be handled?

that doesn’t change anything. If Fox News had this same status they’d still would not want to sacrifice their ability to moderate their platforms. Rightfully so because this notion that you’re entitled to a private media companies platform to host your opinions is just that, entitlement.

Conservatives are just throwing their hands up and saying “we suck, we can’t make a social media platform we don’t end up hating. We want to use the ones these guys built however we want and want big daddy government to make it so.” It’s a big bitch fit
So you agree your comparison was dumb then?

Thats what im wondering.
if so....cool vpn

the VPN aspect makes it hard to enforce any way except big social media companies will have to allow all speech from all users . If anyone anywhere is censored then texas will fine the company that did it.

sounds totally realistic.

Thats what im wondering.
if so....cool vpn

I can’t see any way some company in San Fran has to give a shit what Texas thinks about them banning a user with a Texas IP. Seems like toothless pandering to a retarded base, unless I am missing something. I suppose it prevents Texas from ever having a successful social media company HQ inside their borders, so there’s that.

big social media companies will have to allow all speech from all users . If anyone anywhere is censored then texas will fine the company that did it.

another example of people making laws not understanding tech
That aint gonna work much lol

I don’t understand how this kind of thing is enforced at a state level, can anyone explain? I mean, my internet happens in Colorado. I’m probably missing something simple, but I am genuinely curious.

If you break the rules Chuck Norris and a few other Texas Rangers will come to Colorado and kick your ass. Then they’ll drink all the beer in your fridge, before heading back to Texas.

If you break the rules Chuck Norris and a few other Texas Rangers will come to Colorado and kick your ass. Then they’ll drink all the beer in your fridge, before heading back to Texas.
I knew we should’ve kept Tim Tebow around, dammit. The only guy that can stop Chuck.

Back