The 2020 Heavies Awards - Fighter of the Year - Winner: Deiveson Figueiredo

Who's your 2020 Fighter OTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No Khamzat and no Izzy? Astonishingly bad nominations.

No Khamzat and no Izzy? Astonishingly bad nominations.
With a March head-to-head brewing against nominee Jan and having effectively sent Olympian Yoel his walking papers while also making a meme-orable show of Paulo, Izzy was right there for me -- just before publishing even, but I didn't want to exceed 4 to keep any pick a hotly-contested one. For Khamzat, his 2020 efforts were squarely Breakout material, IMHO. Sorry if you disagree. Who was your pick from above nominees?

I almost hate to give it to Figueiredo after taking teh 5th off vs Moreno, but his whole year with devistating finishes AT TEH TOP OF THE DIVISION... is significant... & beats out Holland if I have to fooking choose. o_O

With a March head-to-head brewing against nominee Jan and having effectively sent Olympian Yoel his walking papers while also making a meme-orable show of Paulo, Izzy was right there for me -- just before publishing even, but I didn't want to exceed 4 to keep any pick a hotly-contested one. For Khamzat, his 2020 efforts were squarely Breakout material, IMHO. Sorry if you disagree. Who was your pick from above nominees?
None from the above. Gun to my head I would say Figueiredo.

I can’t wrap my head around how Yan or Oliviera had a better year than Izzy. Izzy defended his title twice

-3 fights: 2 dominant fights in 10 days, and a 1-punch KO
-Became 2 division champion
-P4P GOAT

GettyImages-1227779624.jpg
Imagine taking this serious when he and Israel aren't even options. Sherdong gonna sherdog.

Izzy beat YOEL AND PAULO in 2020. Talk about inept. Anyway, carry on with the pointlessness. :)

Imagine taking this serious when he and Israel aren't even options. Sherdong gonna sherdog.

Izzy beat YOEL AND PAULO in 2020. Talk about inept. Anyway, carry on with the pointlessness. :)
Adesanya participated in one of the worst fights of all time. He's disqualified from Fighter of the Year consideration.

And as much as I like Khamzat Chimaev, his best win is Gerald Meerschaert.

Fig and Holland deserves to be the fighter of the year because they fought many times in 2020 and they won in all of their fights

Div deserves it but my personal fav is Jan
Jan fought only 2 times in 2020 but his biggest win is against Reyes because it was for the title whereas Fig fought 4 times this year and all of his 4 fights are Title Fights

Fig hands down.

But that being said, Adesanya should also be included in the poll since he won it at the World MMA awards

Would be nice to have the poll reflect how much more fans feel Fig to be deserving of it, even over Adesanya
Izzy that fought Romero should not be even considered the Fight of the Year but his fight against Costa was a spectacular win for Izzy but that does not mean that he is the Fighter of the year for 2020

Jan fought only 2 times in 2020 but his biggest win is against Reyes because it was for the title whereas Fig fought 4 times this year and all of his 4 fights are Title Fights
That's why I said Div deserves it.
But I like Jan more.

Fig and Holland deserves to be the fighter of the year because they fought many times in 2020 and they won in all of their fights
Fair take, dude. On the note, an interesting poll would be each entry a criterion for what the most important grounds for FrOTY actually are, e.g., times fought, means of victories, streak(s), intangibles whatnot displayed, setting records, no-one-factor viewpoint et cetera. It sounds like you most appreciate and would vote streak, a combination of winning and in some succession; can't knock that.

Part man -- part beast, warrior Fig is running away with this at near 2x the closest nominee.

200.gif

Absolutely 4 fights all of them are Title fights and he won all of them (He won the fight against Moreno it should not be a draw)
I agree. I haven’t rewatched it, it at the time I had it 48-47 Fig.

Back