The .45 Caliber Dead

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I went to few stores this morning and didn’t anything new for the 45. everything was micro 9. What is new with the .45 in subcompact. Where are the single stack 45s

Last edited:
Here you go: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/45acp

Plenty of .45 to be had at pretty low prices

thanks but I should have been cleared. I meant, is there any new pistols in chambered in 45. Didn’t see a single single stack 45 other than high end 1911. Almost like the gun manufacturers gave up on it and only making Mirco 9

Last edited:
thanks but I should have been cleared. I meant was there any new pistols in chambered in 45. Didn’t see a single single stack 45 other than high end 1911. Almost like the gun manufacturers gave up on it and only making Mirco 9
I don't know man. I just saw a pretty awesome Wesson 1911 / 2011. I agree there's not a ton of innovation but how do you improve on perfection?

I think people are starting to go with more 10mm.

.45 is terrible in a subcompact. the round dimensions hard limit the size the gun can be, the ballistics of a large dumpy round from a micro barrel are laughable. Nobody makes one because nobody wants to be the guy releasing a $1000 handgun with 5 round capacity that cant pass a standard gel test. and to be honest, if you're gonna single stack it, its just another mini 1911 clone to throw at a market full of them with a customer base thats dying off. .45 from a sub is such a let down that if you do a ballistics gel search on the 'tube specifically for performance from compact .45's the ONLY round you'll see used is the federal .45 HST. everything else would make you switch to 9mm.

I went to few stores this morning and didn’t anything new for the 45. everything was micro 9. What is new with the .45 in subcompact. Where are the single stack 45s

Today's Youth can't handle the Masculinity of the 45. That's why they're all 9s.

If they tried to shoot one they'd walk away like this:
giphy.gif

Today's Youth can't handle the Masculinity of the 45. That's why they're all 9s.

If they tried to shoot one they'd walk away like this:
giphy.gif
The body armour their wearing would laugh at the .45 and probably be more intimidated by a 9mm travelling at near twice the velocity though.

The body armour their wearing would laugh at the .45 and probably be more intimidated by a 9mm travelling at near twice the velocity though.
<MaryseShutIt><DisgustingHHH>

You goons under the misconception there's no such thing beyond standard ball ammo in 45..

I think the biggest issue with the 45, other than size reducing it's capacity, is not that it can't be made more powerful, its that most shooters nowadays won't put in or can't afford the extra amount of training necessary to deal with the recoil associated with said extra power.

I have 225grn bullets going 1075 fps in an XD45, but it's taken an extra 1000 rnds of practice to adjust and bring the shots back into competitive times with it.
I have 200grn bullets going 1100-1200fps depending how much powder I want to splurge out of a 2inch barrel on a carry comp 1911. (You wouldn't want to shoot that stuff in Commander or regular gov't models)

Those are numbers within the realm of 40s and some 10mms, (until you start hot loading the 10mm) All of those take more effort to deal with the recoil.

Nobody wants to factory ammo 45 like that, cause it competes with other shit they sell, and recoils more than the customer base wants to deal with.

They've had to come up with something to help 9mms though cause it's working with less potential.

It's too bad, instead of 9mms there weren't just 38 supers. Had that been more prevalent there prolly would be a need to make 40s and 10mms
http://www.ballistics101.com/38_super.php

You goons under the misconception there's no such thing beyond standard ball ammo in 45..

I think the biggest issue with the 45, other than size reducing it's capacity, is not that it can't be made more powerful, its that most shooters nowadays won't put in or can't afford the extra amount of training necessary to deal with the recoil associated with said extra power.

I have 225grn bullets going 1075 fps in an XD45, but it's taken an extra 1000 rnds of practice to adjust and bring the shots back into competitive times with it.
I have 200grn bullets going 1100-1200fps depending how much powder I want to splurge out of a 2inch barrel on a carry comp 1911. (You wouldn't want to shoot that stuff in Commander or regular gov't models)

Those are numbers within the realm of 40s and some 10mms, (until you start hot loading the 10mm) All of those take more effort to deal with the recoil.

Nobody wants to factory ammo 45 like that, cause it competes with other shit they sell, and recoils more than the customer base wants to deal with.

They've had to come up with something to help 9mms though cause it's working with less potential.

It's too bad, instead of 9mms there weren't just 38 supers. Had that been more prevalent there prolly would be a need to make 40s and 10mms
You forget you're talking to a .44 magnum fan
<{ohyeah}>

This is become a habit but I agree with most of your post.

That said, most people aren't buying guns as a hobby. Rather, its a tool that serves a purpose. For the former, .45 / 10mm / 30-super / etc etc etc are fun calibers to play with. For the latter, 9mm is more then adequate for the job.

Let's face reality. 99% of the time anyone that's had to use their weapon in a real setting has had to do it at 10-20yds. from an attacker. 1 or 2 shots with a 9mm center-mass will drop all except the most methed out attackers like a bag of shit.

That said, most people aren't buying guns as a hobby. Rather, its a tool that serves a purpose. For the former, .45 / 10mm / 30-super / etc etc etc are fun calibers to play with. For the latter, 9mm is more then adequate for the job.

Let's face reality. 99% of the time anyone that's had to use their weapon in a real setting has had to do it at 10-20yds. from an attacker. 1 or 2 shots with a 9mm center-mass will drop all except the most methed out attackers like a bag of shit.

That's true, hopefully.

And I myself, (when I do carry) carry either hellcat pro, or a VP9sk, 9mm not a 45, (accept for in the truck)

I wouldn't bother with a 40 or 10mm since I can already load the 45 pretty close to the power factor of either without having to buy anymore different shit.

Of course balance is always an issue, more horsepower, more projectile weight, higher power factor comes at the expense of control. 9mms are so much easier to control the recoil. Ammo is cheaper too, which makes it attractive to agencies, etc...

On the other hand if you got a way to mitigate the recoil issue, and cost isn't an object, a 200grn bullet going 1080fps is pretty neat too.

best gun is the one you have on u.

so I agree the 9mm or even .380 is mostly to be carried due to is smaller size and larger capacity but even the army went 9mm and I never understood that cause they are gonna be carry full size and the .45 seems perfect for them. So why did they switch

best gun is the one you have on u.

so I agree the 9mm or even .380 is mostly to be carried due to is smaller size and larger capacity but even the army went 9mm and I never understood that cause they are gonna be carry full size and the .45 seems perfect for them. So why did they switch

Its not perfect for a number of reasons. Here's a few:
1) Most, if not all, European militaries were and are using 9mm as their standard side arm ammo. The US had to make itself NATO compliant so 9mm it is.
2) There's not a meaningful reduction of stopping power between 45 and 9mm. Yes, I know 45 has more power but its not relevant since the military's goal is removal of the enemy from the field (as opposed to killing them outright).
3) 45 weighs more. Not as much of an issue today but, before "light weight" gear, every single oz / lb mattered

Guess Im just old. I love the 45acp. I have a couple including a single stack subcompact.

thanks but I should have been cleared. I meant, is there any new pistols in chambered in 45. Didn’t see a single single stack 45 other than high end 1911. Almost like the gun manufacturers gave up on it and only making Mirco 9

You want a micro .45acp?

there is really nothing a guy shooting a .45 can do, that he wouldnt do faster and better with a 9mm. Thats not even hyperbole, its statistically verifiable fact by now. Im a big 10mm fan but i only carry in woods carry for situations where the penetration value is an absolute must have. Against a man sized threat? the ability to score rapid accurate shots is the single biggest determinant to effectiveness and repeated training experience has show that no matter HOW well trained a person is in any caliber, the easier to shoot caliber will when in that metric. 9mm is close enough to .45 in trauma performance that the better recoil characteristics give it a big lead.

even the rounds you're touting arent really that impressive. 225 gr at 1075? the most common 10mm loads on my shelf right now are 200 gr at 1250. these arent 'super charged' rounds. its just factory ass FMJ. thats what i dont get about .45 anymore. it forces you into big clunky guns. lacks capacity. and even with BIG BOY rounds, you're still underperforming average 10mm. Why buy a Glock 21 when you can get a Glock 20 with roughly the same 'throw weight' but 30% more energy per magazine all for similar recoil?

Back