The backfist

JohnPJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
why does it seem that the only time you really see the backfist in the spinning form.

why does it seem that the only time you really see the backfist in the spinning form.
Would it not simply be called a backhand if you were to just stand in your normal stance and pimp slap your opponent?

Spinning back fist is retarded. At least that's the view in most muay thai schools. If someone is blocking and your extended elbow hits the point of their elbow you're fucked. Spinning elbows much cooler and safer.

Normal back fists like in Karate lack a lot of power. For it to be any good you need to have your body weight behind it, like with the Karate Blitz.

Once landed a lead back fist to the body for no reason other than to win a bet lmao

Hammerfist >>> backfist all-day and can actually knock people out.

Spinning back fist is retarded. At least that's the view in most muay thai schools. If someone is blocking and your extended elbow hits the point of their elbow you're fucked. Spinning elbows much cooler and safer.
+++

It's a silly view. Unless you're fighting FTR, which most people won't be, you're never gonna be allowed to throw a spinning elbow - the back fist is much easier to land and a spinning back fist shouldn't be done with a locked elbow anyhow. I think a spinning elbow is more optimum at close range though, especially if you go about it how Somrack did

Spining back fists work for recover if you miss a kick. If you miss and the opponent is in your blind spot, a spinning back fist allows you a safe recovery, even if the attack misses because the opponent has to get out of the way or be hit with a spinning technique with a lot of momentum.

Would it not simply be called a backhand if you were to just stand in your normal stance and pimp slap your opponent?
Not in karate. Then again in karate its intended to strike with your knuckles. Seems the spinning backfist is just hits with whatever they hit it with.

Not in karate. Then again in karate its intended to strike with your knuckles. Seems the spinning backfist is just hits with whatever they hit it with.
I like your funny words magic man.

I know as much about Karate as I do about the fundamentals of piloting the Mars Rover.

Normal back fists like in Karate lack a lot of power. For it to be any good you need to have your body weight behind it, like with the Karate Blitz.

Once landed a lead back fist to the body for no reason other than to win a bet lmao
Jabs lack a lot of power as well.

Yes, and standard straight jabs still have more stopping power than a lead hand back fist. Which is why you see more spinning back fist than lead back fist.
To be fair, the lead back fist and spin back fist are used in completly different situations so it's hard to compare them like for like. One has more stopping power so way more useful.

basic karate backfist (or uraken -it does not really mean backfist) = boxing flicker jab

Why is it used less or more under different rules? because of differing rules.

Few boxers use jabs as a punch to do significant damage, guys like GGG and Cotto had very strong jabs, but its supposed to be used as a means to open up your opponents for shots from your power hand or to simply gauge distance. if you can land a jab you can land a power shot. Good luck doing much of that with a backfist.

Few boxers use jabs as a punch to do significant damage, guys like GGG and Cotto had very strong jabs, but its supposed to be used as a means to open up your opponents for shots from your power hand or to simply gauge distance. if you can land a jab you can land a power shot. Good luck doing much of that with a backfist.
I do not understand this post.
in the first paragraph you say boxers use jabs to open up for shots from the power hand or gauge distance.
In the second paragraph you say that if you can land a jab you can land a powershot and that is not possible with the backfist.
what happened between paragraph one and two? and why do you think a basic karate backhand needs to be used for powershots?
Flicker jab backhand style that is basically the same as karate uraken uchi, is used frequently in boxing. Are you saying they should stop jab and go all powershots all the time?

I do not understand this post.
in the first paragraph you say boxers use jabs to open up for shots from the power hand or gauge distance.
In the second paragraph you say that if you can land a jab you can land a powershot and that is not possible with the backfist.
what happened between paragraph one and two? and why do you think a basic karate backhand needs to be used for powershots?
Flicker jab backhand style that is basically the same as karate uraken uchi, is used frequently in boxing. Are you saying they should stop jab and go all powershots all the time?

The last sentence should have had a comma not a full stop. "simply to gauge distance, if you can land a jab you can land a power shot" I'm saying you can use it to judge distance if your jab lands you know you're in range for a near perfect power shot.
I'm not at all saying jabs are pointless, they're the most important tool in a boxers arsenal. I used a flick jab all my life I didn't even know it was a karate thing. I don't know anything about karate.

Karate has plenty of different jabs that are not really that different from boxing -a fist can only be used in so many ways effectively.
Unfortunately due to competition rules they are seldom used as what they are (point karate breaks after every hit, knockdown karate bans punches to the head). You see it a lot in old-school american style full contact karate (Bill "superfoot" Wallace loved doing the backhand flicker jab back in the days -but who watches that nowdays), but usually it is just taught as a curiosa technique noone really bothers to learn as more than the formal basic (which is always greatly exaggerated and different from the practical version).

As why people see the spinning backhand more often than the regular backhand?
Partially it is because fighters like to go for flashy knockdowns, partially it is because people do not recognize the flicker jab as the regular "backhand".

Karate has plenty of different jabs that are not really that different from boxing -a fist can only be used in so many ways effectively.
Unfortunately due to competition rules they are seldom used as what they are (point karate breaks after every hit, knockdown karate bans punches to the head). You see it a lot in old-school american style full contact karate (Bill "superfoot" Wallace loved doing the backhand flicker jab back in the days -but who watches that nowdays), but usually it is just taught as a curiosa technique noone really bothers to learn as more than the formal basic (which is always greatly exaggerated and different from the practical version).

As why people see the spinning backhand more often than the regular backhand?
Partially it is because fighters like to go for flashy knockdowns, partially it is because people do not recognize the flicker jab as the regular "backhand".
A spinning back fist also generates more velocity, Similar to a spinning elbow (or reverse elbow whatever the hell its called). I know for a fact my spinning backhand would hit a lot harder than a simple backhand. But I also rarely employed spinning backhands in Muay Thai because I felt they left me over exposed a lot of the time.

Backfist can be used in a similar way, particularly after a missed hook

Seems the spinning backfist is just hits with whatever they hit it with.

That is true...I had a friend during a match throw it and it was a "Spinning Back Forearm". The thing with the Spinning Back Fist is that sometimes you think you are in the correct range, but either you aren´t, your opponent moves or you move and most of the times you hit with anything but the fist. Seen an ammy fight stopped because the guy threw a Spinning Back Fist, the other guy stepped forward and hit him with the elbow instead of the Fist.

Back