• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social The destruction of critical thinking in higher education

Are institutes of higher education declining in their ability to teach critical thinking?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some data would be nice yeah.

Arguments have been made and its been pointed out how vague they are.

Something more tangible would be nice.

Ok i sincerely hope that you find a data set someday that allows you to have an opinion. Until then, just bravely continue your search for that excel spreadsheet. Someday it'll allow you to emerge from the darkness

Ok i sincerely hope that you find a data set someday that allows you to have an opinion. Until then, just bravely continue your search for that excel spreadsheet. Someday it'll allow you to emerge from the darkness

I'd be open to any evidence you'd like to present that isn't 100% anecdotal.

I'd be open to any evidence you'd like to present that isn't 100% anecdotal.

It doesn't matter to me if you believe it. Go search for the evidence yourself if you're curious on the topic.

I don't think Shapiro wants to debate anyone who has a background in climatology (or scientifically literate in this area) nor healthcare economics. At least, I haven't seen any willingness to do so or engage in any serious way.

That said I don't really follow Ben Shapiro because it's just tripe on its face. I only really know him from him destroying liberals with facts and logic memes, and of course that time he humiliated himself with Andrew Neill.

If you take him seriously it's a bit worrying.

You're free to believe what you want. I'd like to see him either debate a climatologist or publicly turn it down to make an actual informed opinion. I also know jack shit about climatology so I'm not sure how interested I'd be. Shapiro has been very unpopular with the left, as he has repeatedly dismantled the narrative about America being a "white supremacist country" and absolutely destroyed Black Lives Matters' entire existence in a debate. He makes a habit of calling out both left wing and right wing politicians. It's silly to see people claim he's a Trump fan too.

A lot of his detractors hang on to the Andrew Neil interview, as it's the best example of him not looking that great. But if you pay attention to that, you should pay attention to all of his debates as well.

You're free to believe what you want. I'd like to see him either debate a climatologist or publicly turn it down to make an actual informed opinion. I also know jack shit about climatology so I'm not sure how interested I'd be. Shapiro has been very unpopular with the left, as he has repeatedly dismantled the narrative about America being a "white supremacist country" and absolutely destroyed Black Lives Matters' entire existence in a debate. He makes a habit of calling out both left wing and right wing politicians. It's silly to see people claim he's a Trump fan too.

A lot of his detractors hang on to the Andrew Neil interview, as it's the best example of him not looking that great. But if you pay attention to that, you should pay attention to all of his debates as well.

Ben Shapiro has zero qualifications in climate science or healthcare economics. What value does he supposedly bring to either debate? His arguments are at best not made in good faith, and at worst just utter tripe.

Shapiro, like many conservatives, starts with the conclusion (climate change isn't a big problem) and works backwards towards conclusions about scientific matters which he doesn't understand.

Ben Shapiro has zero qualifications in climate science or healthcare economics. What value does he supposedly bring to either debate? His arguments are at best not made in good faith, and at worst just utter tripe.

Shapiro, like many conservatives, starts with the conclusion (climate change isn't a big problem) and works backwards towards conclusions about scientific matters which he doesn't understand.

I'll say it again: I'd like to either see that debate or see him publicly turn it down before I form an opinion on it.

Honestly.

I'm not even the biggest Shapiro fan, but I do find it hilarious when people bring up his debates with college kids as if to suggest they would do any better.

I've seen college kids kick Shapiro's ass plenty of times.

When pressed by someone who actually knows the material he retreats into rhetorical tricks and changes the subject.

I've also seen him cede ground to people like Rogan he didn't expect to him. Joe Rogan forcing Shapiro to admit something about the contemporary effects of racism was one of his finest moments. Shapiro will continue making claims Rogan debunked but at least there's a record of Shapiro agreeing to the opposite.

I've seen college kids kick Shapiro's ass plenty of times.

When pressed by someone who actually knows the material he retreats into rhetorical tricks and changes the subject.

I've also seen him cede ground to people like Rogan he didn't expect to him. Joe Rogan forcing Shapiro to admit something about the contemporary effects of racism was one of his finest moments. Shapiro will continue making claims Rogan debunked but at least there's a record of Shapiro agreeing to the opposite.

Yea I don't know, I don't spend much time watching all of his debates but I've seen him win some and lose some.

I keep reading media stories of how colleges are now brainwashing students into being cartoonishly woke.

But is that really true in real life? I haven't been to college in many years so have no idea.

Maybe it is just outrage media stories trying to magnify a small portion of the college population? Are most colleges that retarded or is it just the media?

I keep reading media stories of how colleges are now brainwashing students into being cartoonishly woke.

But is that really true in real life? I haven't been to college in many years so have no idea.

Maybe it is just outrage media stories trying to magnify a small portion of the college population? Are most colleges that retarded or is it just the media?

Well if I look at the voting habits of college students it definitely seems to confirm the suspicion.

There's an over emphasis on readings rather than actual application

I mean the vast majority do not even vote.

I'm taking my own country as an example. Last elections there was a 80% turnout rate in the 18-24 age bracket. I don't think the US even gets that as an overall turnout rate.

It's also way harder to judge by the voting habits of US students because there's only two flavours to pick from. You can't just assume everybody who votes blue is a woke idiot.

Just an anecdote, my wife has a Cousin who is one of the most genuine and empathetic people I've ever met. Truly a remarkable person. She was raise Mormon in Logan, Utah because her Mom married a guy who lived there and they literally joined the Church because they noticed people who didn't were treated differently in the Community. I had another student later whose Father is a Christian Youth Minister in St. George who said the same thing. Anyhow, prior to marrying this man and joining the Church her Mom was very socially liberal. She was in an interracial relationship, the Dad is a Cali-born Puerto Rican surfer/skater who went into tattooing, they were huge metalheads and often bucked authority or button-down social ideologies. Well, her Mother is now the opposite of that.

The daughter goes to college and finally sees a World bigger than Logan, Utah. She makes friends, expands horizons, etc. Mind-you she went to UNLV, so when I say she ventured out she literally went 2hrs from home. She studies criminal justice for a year, then switches to education. She also comes out as bisexual, turns out she thinks girls are just as hot as boys are. Can you envision her Mother's reaction to all this?

"College ruined my daughter and turned her woke."

The reality is her daughter came to certain conclusions because she is better educated. I can actually have a cohesive conversation with her about History that isnt reactionary. She is currently in a long-term relation ship with a guy who treats her well, who she has known since before college, and is a full time teacher...ya know, one of them woke teachers, I guess.

At the end of the day it looks like her Mother and Step-Father just never truly wanted her to grow up or change. They're horrified that her choices dont echo those of the community they felt sanctity in.

BTW, when she was in grade school in Logan a bus driver once dropped her off at the nearby Native Reservation. She tried to tell the lady she wasnt Native, she was Puerto Rican. She was told not to be embarrassed and left at the Res. Her Mom had to pick her up from there.

The reality is her daughter came to certain conclusions because she is better educated.

No, that's just your bias. And what the hell does being a sexual deviant have to do with being "better educated"?

Honestly.

I'm not even the biggest Shapiro fan, but I do find it hilarious when people bring up his debates with college kids as if to suggest they would do any better.

He studied law at Harvard, he's intelligent and comfortable in adversarial discussion. Obviously he's going to have a huge advantage debating much younger students in a subject he's dedicated his life to.

We'll never know how good he or most anyone in the public eye is, they're far too careful to take a risk and debate in a truly neutral arena. If I had to guess I'd say Shapiro would do better than most if the rules were clear and he had time to prepare.

Yes, it's true. There's still a lot of great education to be had at universities but they're mostly just indoctrination centres, to churn out revolutionaries.

No, that's just your bias. And what the hell does being a sexual deviant have to do with being "better educated"?

No, that's what happened as per her now better-educated perspective. Lol@"sexual deviant" Many people's political perspectives are formed by their social ones, and many place their sexuality at the center of it. It's no coincidence that conservatives and fascists tend to have weird sexual rules for everyone and tend to be hypervigilant about social roles, using any sense of sexual liberation as an enforcement of classes. This girl's parents were mortified when she became open about her sexuality, as if it implicates them. They also dont think too fondly of her empathy towards people currently being otherized as the causes of all the current socioeconomic woes.

No, that's what happened as per her now better-educated perspective.

No, that's your bias.

Lol@"sexual deviant" Many people's political perspectives are formed by their social ones, and many place their sexuality at the center of it.

Only deviant leftists.

It's no coincidence that conservatives and fascists tend to have weird sexual rules for everyone and tend to be hypervigilant about social roles, using any sense of sexual liberation as an enforcement of classes.

No, that's just something you made up.

This girl's parents were mortified when she became open about her sexuality, as if it implicates them. They also dont think too fondly of her empathy towards people currently being otherized as the causes of all the current socioeconomic woes.

They were mortified because it's more likely she'll go off the rails. It's a natural, normal, healthy response from parents. All this obsession over making your 'sexuality' your identity is due to a lack of a real, healthy identity (ethnic & religious).

I'll say it again: I'd like to either see that debate or see him publicly turn it down before I form an opinion on it.

What would you think you'd see from someone with no qualifications in a topic debating a professional who has advanced knowledge in their field? Someone getting destroyed with FACTS and LOGIC?

Back