The fight that defined GSP

The oddest thing about these threads is that so many people (but not everyone) are pissing on either Anderson or GSP. I'd love to have had either of their careers, and both have a lot of fans (meaning both entertained a lot of people). You'd think everyone would be saying good things about both of them, but instead a lot of people seem to think they're only allowed to think one was good and that the other was a bum.

Seriously, if either visited the club you work out at, would you tell one or the other they weren't very good? I think most of us would be thrilled by a visit from either. I also think almost everyone would find, if they worked out with the one they thought wasn't very good, that they were a lot better than they thought.

When GSP beat Bisping to become a 2 division Champ there were a lot of GSP 'hate threads'.
During this lockdown people have shown they are still not over it.
It's like the second wave.

Since I got the Win...

tumblr_ou0aj7pFyQ1u2ragso2_500.gifv

The oddest thing about these threads is that so many people (but not everyone) are pissing on either Anderson or GSP. I'd love to have had either of their careers, and both have a lot of fans (meaning both entertained a lot of people). You'd think everyone would be saying good things about both of them, but instead a lot of people seem to think they're only allowed to think one was good and that the other was a bum.

Seriously, if either visited the club you work out at, would you tell one or the other they weren't very good? I think most of us would be thrilled by a visit from either. I also think almost everyone would find, if they worked out with the one they thought wasn't very good, that they were a lot better than they thought.
I dont necessarily disagree with you but its the gsp fanbase that maintain a zero tolerance policy for any dissention or suggestion that georges is not the greatest fighter ever. Is he one of the greats, i would tend to say yes hes probably top 10 which means yes he had an amazing career.

I have been presenting arguments against his level of competition and his inability to finjsh seemingly easy fights.

Fedor anderson and bones all finished top level fighters and former champs.

Gsp has not. I have argued that finishing the husk of matt hughes, 40 year old cyclops bisping and lw bj penn is not on the same level as finishing 2009.arlovski, 2008 tim sylvia, 2007 hendo, 2010 vitor, 2012 lyoto...im not even 100% sure on these dates but you get the point i hope.

Lol .... cant tell if being serious.
Bisping is a solid striker and quite a bit bigger. He had just knocked out Rockhold and held his own against an aging Anderson. That ain't bad at all. It was a decent showing for GSP off a 5 yr layoff.

Having said that, TS, didn't he also jab Koscheck to death? GSP wasn't the best pure striker but he was fuckin' good and he mixed his wrestling in beautifully.

Georges was a great fighter, for sure.

Are you saying Bisping is not a talented striker?
He's definitely a talented striker. A world beater? Certainly not, but this is another thread trying to marginalize another all time great by saying he wouldn't strike with anyone. That's simply incorrect.

I have a suggestion if mods read this:

Sticky a fan thread for GSP fanboys to unite and talk about the greatest WW, and possibly P4P, fighter of all time.

Sticky a hate thread where people like Thespider can rejoice at the fact that he tapped to strikes, won mostly by decision, and robbed a horseshit decision over Hendricks.

And now we can move on to 2020. Don't we have an all time great card coming up in a couple weeks. Literally maybe the greatest week of fights we've ever had.

So when sometimes I sidebar and describe the worst of sherdog, this is absolutely representative of that.

Fighting a lw is not a legacy defining fight. Actually I take that back, fighting a lw will define your legacy. Losing to Matt Serra trumps anything you can throw at me.

Buddeh... context.

It was literally the biggest fight in mma history until that time. One where 66% of the phone in audience picked Penn to win.

Don’t you realize that by shitting on GSP you’re only making Penn look worse? Why don’t you just say the better man that night won, and move along? In my mind you’re the worst kind of fan for crapping on your damned NAMESAKE fighter just to discredit another. Grow up, change your name, whatever. With fans like you, no athlete ever needs detractors.

Bisping is a solid striker and quite a bit bigger. He had just knocked out Rockhold and held his own against an aging Anderson. That ain't bad at all. It was a decent showing for GSP off a 5 yr layoff.

Having said that, TS, didn't he also jab Koscheck to death? GSP wasn't the best pure striker but he was fuckin' good and he mixed his wrestling in beautifully.

I cant really disagree with most of this but jabbing a one eyed predictable free swinging shot koscheck to death for 5 rounds and never trying to finish the fight is just typical georges st pierre. So when fans like myself go on about legacy and immortality, this kind of stuff factors into my judgement. I have never said georges was not a great human or a great ambassador of the sport. The guy is top 5 gentleman all time not just in mma but in the world. However with that being said, i feel his career resume is absolutely bloated and highly exaggerated.

I dont necessarily disagree with you but its the gsp fanbase that maintain a zero tolerance policy for any dissention or suggestion that georges is not the greatest fighter ever. Is he one of the greats, i would tend to say yes hes probably top 10 which means yes he had an amazing career.

I have been presenting arguments against his level of competition and his inability to finjsh seemingly easy fights.

Fedor anderson and bones all finished top level fighters and former champs.

Gsp has not. I have argued that finishing the husk of matt hughes, 40 year old cyclops bisping and lw bj penn is not on the same level as finishing 2009.arlovski, 2008 tim sylvia, 2007 hendo, 2010 vitor, 2012 lyoto...im not even 100% sure on these dates but you get the point i hope.
See, but you're kinda doing the opposite.

"Probably top 10"?

You know damn well he's one of the 10 best fighters ever. He is, at the very very worst, 4th. He has a seriously claim at #1 but I'm not going to split hairs. There are 4 names. Fedor-GSP-Jones-Silva. I don't care to debate the order.

I cant really disagree with most of this but jabbing a one eyed predictable free swinging shot koscheck to death for 5 rounds and never trying to finish the fight is just typical georges st pierre. So when fans like myself go on about legacy and immortality, this kind of stuff factors into my judgement. I have never said georges was not a great human or a great ambassador of the sport. The guy is top 5 gentleman all time not just in mma but in the world. However with that being said, i feel his career resume is absolutely bloated and highly exaggerated.
Finishing fights is more important to you than just winning. That's fair. But he absolutely overwhelmed 80% of the guys he fought, which is also impressive. His legacy? Well, check the stickied GOAT poll. He sits at #1 amongst the devoted fanbase that frequents this site. I'd say his legacy is set.

Finishing fights is more important to you than just winning. That's fair. But he absolutely overwhelmed 80% of the guys he fought, which is also impressive. His legacy? Well, check the stickied GOAT poll. He sits at #1 amongst the devoted fanbase that frequents this site. I'd say his legacy is set.

I think its entirely fair to dispute the idea of georges being the goat or even one of the goats regardless.of how consensus mma mt rushmore is.

Maybe i do value finishes above decisions too much, but imo that shows true dominance. Trying to armbar then kimura dan .500 hardy for three rounds in a title fight is outrageous.

You should watch him fight Koscheck the second time. I heard he stood with him for a while

I think its entirely fair to dispute the idea of georges being the goat or even one of the goats regardless.of how consensus mma mt rushmore is.

Maybe i do value finishes above decisions too much, but imo that shows true dominance. Trying to armbar then kimura dan .500 hardy for three rounds in a title fight is outrageous.
You’re entitled to your opinion and at least you acknowledge what is commonly accepted. His legacy isn’t remotely questioned by anyone objective. Yeah, he has his annoying fans as well. The “well, it comes down to how you score the first round” crowd that are entirely off base. I’d be interested in hearing who the people you have in front of him are. If you suggest BJ Penn, say no more. That’s all I need to hear.

Bisping is a solid striker .... stop - I agree , that's as far as I go. In hindsight IN HINDSIGHT, I really dont know what to make of rockhold ko....and neither do u .
* context * * timing * * circumstances *

Bisping edged by an aging Silva ( before that - Leites walked him down for 25 in a split that couldve GONE EITHER WAY....and before that, eeked by the like of ,lol, cb dolloway - CONTEXT - His behavior and performances after winning title , lmfao.... REALLY ?

GSP is one of the greats of our sport BUT I WOULDN'T REFERENCE A JOSH KOSCHECK fight to validate his stand up. Yes, GSP knew how to throw a jab . Ok.
He also took the path of easiest way to win which was mostly 25 minute smotherfests- the first part of that is smart ....it shows fight IQ but for heavens sake if you want to be considered thee goat, you got to have some stoppages ESPECIALLY over fighters you're HEAVILY favored to beat.

Gsp still one of the goats but further down the goat ladder than his fans think.

I calls em as I sees em. That's an honest and reasonable opinion for both. I can't take away bispings ko of rockhold - but in hindsight- things fell into place for him as the integrity of Luke's defense/chin caught up with him. If Rockhold started to destroy people left and right after that then my take would be FAR different. That didnt happen.

Bisping is a solid striker .... stop - I agree , that's as far as I go. In hindsight IN HINDSIGHT, I really dont know what to make of rockhold ko....and neither do u .
* context * * timing * * circumstances *

Bisping edged by an aging Silva ( before that - Leites walked him down for 25 in a split that couldve GONE EITHER WAY....and before that, eeked by the like of ,lol, cb dolloway - CONTEXT - His behavior and performances after winning title , lmfao.... REALLY ?

GSP is one of the greats of our sport BUT I WOULDN'T REFERENCE A JOSH KOSCHECK fight to validate his stand up. Yes, GSP knew how to throw a jab . Ok.
He also took the path of easiest way to win which was mostly 25 minute smotherfests- the first part of that is smart ....it shows fight IQ but for heavens sake if you want to be considered thee goat, you got to have some stoppages ESPECIALLY over fighters you're HEAVILY favored to beat.

Gsp still one of the goats but further down the goat ladder than his fans think.

I calls em as I sees em. That's an honest and reasonable opinion for both. I can't take away bispings ko of rockhold - but in hindsight- things fell into place for him as the integrity of Luke's defense/chin caught up with him. If Rockhold started to destroy people left and right after that then my take would be FAR different. That didnt happen.
Your pontification of assumption is super annoying. Don’t assume I don’t know what to make of the rockhold KO. You can fuck right off with that. You could even acknowledge BJ Penn getting KO’d.

i have a solution to my problem. The ignore button. Then poof, I don’t get annoyed by your obnoxious post style. “I calls em as I sees them” has got to be the most ignorant/arrogant statement ever. We don’t give a shit how you “sees em”. You rub everyone the wrong way.

Your pontification of assumption is super annoying. Don’t assume I don’t know what to make of the rockhold KO. You can fuck right off with that. You could even acknowledge BJ Penn getting KO’d.

i have a solution to my problem. The ignore button. Then poof, I don’t get annoyed by your obnoxious post style. “I calls em as I sees them” has got to be the most ignorant/arrogant statement ever. We don’t give a shit how you “sees em”. You rub everyone the wrong way.
Lol- tell me how u really feel.

I could give 3 fucks if u cant handle my reasonable post( or my hubris - fuck u).

You started the css'n so fuck u , fuck that pussy closet mirko and his, lol, Duran Duran.

You can't handle a truthful post , I dont know what to tell u.

I calls em as I sees em .

* Edit - CC- just in case your surfing, I know you're a bad mofo. This was just in response to one your fans .

Last edited:
Ahead of gsp on my goat list

Bones
Fedor
Anderson
MM
Amanda
DC
GSP
Aldo or max if he wins the belt back and has another big run

thats where I rank him somewhere around 7 or 8. So he is top ten yes.

GSP is one of the greats of our sport BUT I WOULDN'T REFERENCE A JOSH KOSCHECK fight to validate his stand up.

What fight would you use to validate Silva's standup? Non-TRT Vitor who literally never won a fight? Who else?

GSP knocked out Hughes twice in one fight.
Scored 3 brutal knockout against prime Fitch.
Outstruck Penn badly in the rematch.
Outstruck Alves with 1 KD.
Outstruck Bisping who outstruck Silva rather easily.

Ahead of gsp on my goat list

Bones
Fedor
Anderson
MM
Amanda
DC
GSP
Aldo or max if he wins the belt back and has another big run

thats where I rank him somewhere around 7 or 8. So he is top ten yes.
People can agree or disagree.
That s a reasonable opinion.

Gsp supporters get their panties in a twist.....and over what ?

The crazy thing is that I honestly believe that Amanda Nunes has a better resume than Georges and she has also beaten better fighters. Her list of finishes and wins completely trumps gsp.

Back