Crime The Gabby Petito case.

You can't prove a counter factual, but I'm confident that if she were white it would be wall to wall news coverage.

Do you think murders of white women are so rare, that every single story of one of them getting brutally murdered becomes national headline news? For every one case the media does pick up, there are thousands they don't.

I also love how you guys have focused on a story that "People" even reported on, as an example of the media not reporting on cases involving minorities.

Do you think murders of white women are so rare, that every single story of one of them getting brutally murdered becomes national headline news? For every one case the media does pick up, there are thousands they don't.

I also love how you guys have focused on a story that "People" even reported on, as an example of the media not reporting on cases involving minorities.
What i'm saying is this: if there were a very attractive white girl with 2.5 million instagram followers, who was known in celebrity circles, and was then brutally murdered, it would've been wall to wall news coverage. Do you really believe i'm wrong on that?

And please don't tell me about one People story, i had no idea this even happened, and I'm pretty plugged in. With the Gabby Petito case (and so many other cases involving white girls) you literally can't get away from the coverage even if you tried. I remember the Mollie Tibbets chick that was murdered in Iowa, i couldn't get away from the coverage. It was everywhere i turned.

What i'm saying is this: if there were a very attractive white girl with 2.5 million instagram followers, who was known in celebrity circles, and was then brutally murdered, it would've been wall to wall news coverage. Do you really believe i'm wrong on that?

And please don't tell me about one People story, i had no idea this even happened, and I'm pretty plugged in. With the Gabby Petito case (and so many other cases involving white girls) you literally can't get away from the coverage even if you tried. I remember the Mollie Tibbets chick that was murdered in Iowa, i couldn't get away from the coverage. It was everywhere i turned.

Yeah, until it was revealed that Tibbets was murdered by an illegal alien. Then it got dropped and ignored immediately.

It would all depend on the public's appetite for it. There's no magic formula for making the public care about a certain story. I don't believe a simple murder with no mystery to it, would have the same legs as an unfolding mystery like this case, no matter what the race/gender. There are elements to this story that peaked the public's interest. Mainly, the mystery and how the boyfriend was acting. Right there, you have a hook for people to be interested and even feel like a participant in the investigation. That will garner more intrigue than a story about some girl who just got murdered with the case already solved.

In terms of Instagram celebrity influencing coverage, I don't believe that played a part here, or in the other case. Their followers don't translate into mass public appeal. It's a niche brand of celebrity. They're not world renowned movie stars or anything. They're one of many who has a successful channel on social media. You're not gonna see them getting hounded for interviews by the press or anything, and their names are not widely known to the general public.

A predominantly white nation that values attractiveness and notoriety pays more attention to when something happens to a white, attractive, notable female.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

White Privilege Liberal Media always being racist.

A predominantly white nation that values attractiveness and notoriety pays more attention to when something happens to a white, attractive, notable female.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.
Nobody’s shocked by it, someone asked why this case is getting so much attention, we answered. Then posters got butt hurt by the answer.

Nobody’s shocked by it, someone asked why this case is getting so much attention, we answered. Then posters got butt hurt by the answer.

where did i say anyone was shocked by it?

I haven't read the vast majority of the posts in this thread. So maybe this has already been mentioned...

The Petito and Tibbet's cases would not have received anywhere near the same level of media coverage if those young white women had been fat and homely. It is also true that if a young black girl who looked like Beyonce went missing the media would be all over it.

It is far less about race and far more about the sex(iness) angle where missing/murdered women are concerned. Very sad but very true.

It would all depend on the public's appetite for it. There's no magic formula for making the public care about a certain story. I don't believe a simple murder with no mystery to it, would have the same legs as an unfolding mystery like this case, no matter what the race/gender. There are elements to this story that peaked the public's interest. Mainly, the mystery and how the boyfriend was acting. Right there, you have a hook for people to be interested and even feel like a participant in the investigation. That will garner more intrigue than a story about some girl who just got murdered with the case already solved.

In terms of Instagram celebrity influencing coverage, I don't believe that played a part here, or in the other case. Their followers don't translate into mass public appeal. It's a niche brand of celebrity. They're not world renowned movie stars or anything. They're one of many who has a successful channel on social media. You're not gonna see them getting hounded for interviews by the press or anything, and their names are not widely known to the general public.
Cmon man, there are plenty of mysterious disappearances with women who were last seen with sketchy boyfriends. The particular details of this one case don’t really matter, it’s more about the pattern of which victims always seem to get wall to wall coverage. There isn’t a magic formula but there are obvious patterns in what the media determines will get attention. Young attractive white girl is ratings gold, so the media pushes those stories. My hypothesis is that the main consumers of these media platforms are middle to upper class white parents and the fear of what could happen to their own daughters, plus the morbid curiosity of what kind of hellish nightmare a family similar to theirs might be going through keeps them glued to the tv’s and articles. That means great ratings and lots of clicks. These white families can’t relate in the same way to an urban black or Hispanic household whose daughter was killed or kidnapped, it doesn’t bring the same ratings. So the media doesn’t push those stories.

I haven't read the vast majority of the posts in this thread. So maybe this has already been mentioned...

The Petito and Tibbet's cases would not have received anywhere near the same level of media coverage if those young white women had been fat and homely. It is also true that if a young black girl who looked like Beyonce went missing the media would be all over it.

It is far less about race and far more about the sex(iness) angle where missing/murdered women are concerned. Very sad but very true.
You missed the context of my post, there was a very attractive black girl who was murdered in Houston a couple of weeks back. Brutal attack by an obsessed fan. She had 2.5 million Instagram followers. Almost no media coverage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but imo she was easily way hotter than both Pettito and Tibbets. Had she been white, my contention is that everyone would’ve heard about her story. Yes, attractiveness is a key ingredient, but let’s not kid ourselves, being white is also a key ingredient.

My guess. Since she was the aggressor in the last domestic dispute, she probably got uppity again, and the boyfriend probably hit her back, which probably sent her off the side of a cliff. That's the only reason I can figure out why the boyfriend isnt cooperating.

My guess. Since she was the aggressor in the last domestic dispute, she probably got uppity again, and the boyfriend probably hit her back, which probably sent her off the side of a cliff. That's the only reason I can figure out why the boyfriend isnt cooperating.

She probably broke off the engagement cause that dude is creepy, psychotic and had nothing going for him and he killed her in a rage.

You missed the context of my post, there was a very attractive black girl who was murdered in Houston a couple of weeks back. Brutal attack by an obsessed fan. She had 2.5 million Instagram followers. Almost no media coverage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but imo she was easily way hotter than both Pettito and Tibbets. Had she been white, my contention is that everyone would’ve heard about her story. Yes, attractiveness is a key ingredient, but let’s not kid ourselves, being white is also a key ingredient.
I know the story you’re talking about. The “fan” killed himself right after I believe. It didn’t receive as much air time as the Pettito story but that was everywhere for a week in Chicago. You’re right, she was better looking. It might have something to do with that story reaching its conclusion though. This story has a bit of mystery and the boyfriend is on the run/disappeared so of course it’s going to be prolonged.

Must have hit her with that Tani Otoshi

no dude seems like too much of coward to train UFC. Likely smashed her from behind with a crowbar or baseball bat to the head.
Yeah I didn’t think he did I just thought my joke was really clever

Back