Media The new gloves are trash

I think a widely unspoken part of the problem is that a new pair of gloves will always have rigidity. So when a fighter spars with their own gloves that are broken in, it's much less resistance to them making a fist than when they're going to get a new pair of gloves at an event they fight at. While glove design can change to try and prevent that, a fighter should already be aware of that going in, and any glove excuse about eye pokes at that point is more on the fighter than the promotion.

Melton Bowen never wanted it to be like this

Those who know, know!

Jesus, they look worse than the old ones for eyepokes.

Pride/Rizin and those had the best gloves ever.

I actually got to try some of the Pride ones (Rampage's gym was hosting a grappling tournament)on years and years ago. They had a natural curve to them that basically pointed your fingers down at a 45ish degree angle. They also felt really solid and well put together. High quality.

How do you find a glove like that for grappling out of interest? If I'm attacking an RNC I'd like to be able to flatten my hand as much as possible if I'm trying to dig under the chin.

running-fast.gif

Hackney didn't arrive on scene until UFC 3, fyi.
Thanks Cap'n Obvious!

You
While I don't think these gloves will do anything to help, this video is also looking at a brand new gloves that hasn't been broken in yet. I'm sure a broken in glove will form much better, the same way you don't walk into a baseball field without a broken in glove.

That being said, I see virtually no difference with these and don't understand how they address eye pokes at all lol
They don't break in gloves for the fights, you get the gloves either in the locker room or earliest after weigh in to prevent tampering.

i don’t think the curve will prevent eye pokes, but it might go some way in making fouls seem clearer. harder to argue that a poke is “inadvertent” in these.

You

They don't break in gloves for the fights, you get the gloves either in the locker room or earliest after weigh in to prevent tampering.
They most definitely break them in LOL. You think guys are walking out with brand new gloves every fight?

They most definitely break them in LOL. You think guys are walking out with brand new gloves every fight?
Please elaborate on how the gloves are 'broken in' (unless its done at the factory) or done when the fighters hand wraps are signed off by the SAC and they are gloved (and warming up)

EVERY event that I have worked (at least on the professional circuit) used new gloves for every fighter. (And more times than not the fighters were able to take them with them sans fight)

The only time I have seen gloves be 'recycled' was on some of the lower tier ammy promotions.
And well, recycled gloves should have been the least of your worries then.

Please elaborate on how the gloves are 'broken in' (unless its done at the factory) or done when the fighters hand wraps are signed off by the SAC and they are gloved (and warming up)

EVERY event that I have worked (at least on the professional circuit) used new gloves for every fighter. (And more times than not the fighters were able to take them with them sans fight)

The only time I have seen gloves be 'recycled' was on some of the lower tier ammy promotions.
And well, recycled gloves should have been the least of your worries then.

They get gloves at the beginning of the week and break them in as well as they can before the fight, have teammates help out too

Only thing I was hoping for was a curved finger improvement, oh well. Maybe 20 years from now. I hope fighters just go for eyepokes so often now until they change the rules or gloves. Honestly I don't think there needs to be a new glove, just instant point deduction from ref every time and it'll fix itself.

While I don't think these gloves will do anything to help, this video is also looking at a brand new gloves that hasn't been broken in yet. I'm sure a broken in glove will form much better, the same way you don't walk into a baseball field without a broken in glove.

That being said, I see virtually no difference with these and don't understand how they address eye pokes at all lol
I don't know about UFC but the shows I fought on gave us brand new gloves. There was no breaking them in. Don't UFC do the same? Fresh out of packet?

In the first video, the glove is way too big for that small hand, and hence it looks rigid.

Gotta wait for a video where someone is wearing the right size gloves

They barely have a bend in the fingers, eyepokes will still be a thing, hell they are a thing because of the fighters in the first place.

lol at taking a brand new leather glove out of a box and complaining about stiffness. That's no different than every other boxing, mma, baseball, hand warming, whatever leather glove ever designed. There's a reason they break em in prefight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back