The Striking of Conor McGregor (with GIF's) -- RETRO BUMP

Like I said, a major lack of technical analysis with a whole lot of innuendo.

You completely fail to understand that you haven't seen him do anything yet. YOu watched him in one round and make a ton of assumptions. A lot of people did the same with Gunnar Nelson.

You're right that I don't have a ton of technical analysis on him, BECAUSE I'VE ONLY WATCHED HIM FOR ONE ROUND. LOL! How on earth could I say it one way or the other, and that is point that you don't want to accept.

If Connor McGregor was black, no one would be hardly talking about him at all. He'd be just another brother with explosive striking that we've seen a ton of times. Connor McGregor has the Irish accent and looks like a guy from Braveheart so you guys come up with all of this magical stuff about him with your imaginations that he hasn't proven yet. You guys watch to many shows like Braveheart and the Vikings. Lol!

This guys hype is out of control.

He beats a solid but fairly new, young, fighter who is just getting into the swing of things and now he should be fighting top 10 guys? Remember, when Marcus entered TUF he didn't know some of the basics of BJJ/grappling and pretty much was just a brawler that got by with his athletic abilities. The dude had four fights.
After TUF he started to get in some serious training, improved, and won a few in a row against some other prospects. His best win was against Hettes who himself his a young up and comer that ended up being a good style match up for him because Hettis was pretty much a grappler who he could handle in the stand up.

The dude has 7 fights going into his fight with Conor a guy who was a terrible match up for him because Conor was also a stand up fighter with more reach and superior stand up. Marcus did what he does and he brawled with Conor. He got dominated since he wasn't the best striker.

Now that Conor beat an inexperienced young brawler in his 8th fight now he can handle the elites like Cub? Give me a break.
Don't get me wrong, Conor is a great prospect but I think all the top 10 guys dominate him via grappling. Shit I think any good wrestler gives him fits, no matter what they're ranked. I need to see more than him KOing Marcus to say he should fight guys like Cub.
Hell, by the way he fought Marcus keeping his hands low, using movement, and his reach I could see a good striker with superior reach give him fits if he fights the same way, which I haven't seen enough to say he will.

The guy is new, let him learn and improve before we throw him to the wolves. I think if you give him time to improve, one day he may be able to hang with the elite but not right now.

Last edited:

He beats a solid but fairly new, young, fighter who is just getting into the swing of things and now he should be fighting top 10 guys? Remember, when Marcus entered TUF he didn't know some of the basics of BJJ/grappling and pretty much was just a brawler that got by with his athletic abilities. The dude had four fights.
After TUF he started to get in some serious training, improved, and won a few in a row against some other prospects. His best win was against Hettes who himself his a young up and comer that ended up being a good style match up for him because Hettis was pretty much a grappler who he could handle in the stand up.

The dude has 7 fights going into his fight with Conor a guy who was a terrible match up for him because Conor was also a stand up fighter with more reach and superior stand up. Marcus did what he does and he brawled with Conor. He got dominated since he wasn't the best striker.

Now that Conor beat an inexperienced young brawler in his 8th fight now he can handle the elites like Cub? Give me a break.
Don't get me wrong, Conor is a great prospect but I think all the top 10 guys dominate him via grappling. Shit I think any good wrestler gives him fits, no matter what their ranked. I need to see more than him KOing Marcus to say he should fight guys like Cub.
Hell, by the way he fought Marcus keeping his hands low, using movement, and his reach I could see a good striker with superior reach give him fits if he fights the same way, which I haven't seen enough to say he will.

The guy is new, let him learn and improve before we throw him to the wolves. I think if you give him time to improve, one day he may be able to hang with the elite but not right now.

Thank you.

Finally guy that comes in here with some common sense.

I bring up all of this stuff and people want to bring up ridiculous claims like jealousy and hate and all of this other stuff. Lol!

He is a young fighter with one fight that he won. Let him develop and prove who he really is before talking about him against top 10 guys and especially an elite guy like Cub Swanson. Lol!

This is very fair and a strong assessment that I can agree with.

However, he shouldn't be in talks amongst guys like Aldo or Cub Swanson. No one knows if he has any sort of wrestling at all or what he can do on his back. People talk as if he has KO'd like 5 guys already. It's crazy. Hell, people don't even know what his cardio is like. Lol!

And another thing is that he doesn't even train with any top camp yet. UNtil he does that, he will be soon for a fall. We've seen a ton of these guys over the years from other countries look good for a little while until they start facing top 10 types of guys that are training with a ton of great fighters every day in American camps and they can't measure up after while. There are a few other top camps outside of America like Blackhouse and Tristar, but a guy like Connor Mcgregor won't go that far until he gets with a top camp that can show him how to continually evolve. He'll eventually his a ceiling, and that isn't just some assumption. THat's based off of years of MMA history showing that it will happen.

I kind of like his training camp. His head coach, from what I've seen with Gunar, and conor, he makes one of the best corner man I have ever seen. I think his camp is fine, and I haven't seen any reason to dispute that to this point. Just because it's relatively unheard of in the big leagues, does not mean it sucks. There was a beginning to every one of these "great camps" that you mentioned. Just as there was a beginning to all of these great fighters you have mentioned. Is conors hype crazy right now? yes, but that's what happens when you look that good in your debut. We will see where he goes from here.

To me, your view point is kind of like an employer who would hire the veteran, over the young rookie fresh out of college and full of potential.

Everyone needs to start somewhere, and this kid shows hope.

Also, when it comes to cub swanson. I think it is fair to compare the striking of conor and cubs. I think over conors career he has shown enough striking to put up a great fight in a striking match against cub. However, in MMA you are right that cub has proven to be ahead of him. Conor needs more wins, and to show off a more well rounded game if we were to debate a straight mma match between the two. None the less i see no problem with comparing their striking.

Last edited:
You completely fail to understand that you haven't seen him do anything yet. YOu watched him in one round and make a ton of assumptions. A lot of people did the same with Gunnar Nelson.

You're right that I don't have a ton of technical analysis on him, BECAUSE I'VE ONLY WATCHED HIM FOR ONE ROUND. LOL! How on earth could I say it one way or the other, and that is point that you don't want to accept.

If Connor McGregor was black, no one would be hardly talking about him at all. He'd be just another brother with explosive striking that we've seen a ton of times. Connor McGregor has the Irish accent and looks like a guy from Braveheart so you guys come up with all of this magical stuff about him with your imaginations that he hasn't proven yet. You guys watch to many shows like Braveheart and the Vikings. Lol!

I knew it. I pinpointed your obvious bias towards him in my first response to you. It's superficial alright; based on race. I knew it had something to do with that because of your emotional overtones.

So you've seen one round of him in the UFC? Therefor you cannot make any technical analysis of what you saw?

1. If you're 'a long time MMA fan' as you like to claim, you would have seen him fight before.

2. His other fights are available on YouTube.

Maybe you can watch them and get back to us. Then we can talk some striking analysis. Because so far all you have done is thrown out generalized talking points.

Watch a few of his fights. Don't be ignorant and/or lazy. Try to at least back up your opinion of what makes his striking so overrated. Kind of hard to do that without technical analysis.

Conor is going to beat Aldo and Bendo at the same time. Being the first man to unify the 145 and 155 titles. Aldo will match up easier, since he is a striker too. Benson is a tougher fight, but Conor will find a way.

The only thing worse than hype trains are hatetrains :icon_sad:

Kid has great potential, can't wait to see him again.

I knew it. I pinpointed your obvious bias towards him in my first response to you. It's superficial alright; based on race. I knew it had something to do with that because of your emotional overtones.

So you've seen one round of him in the UFC? Therefor you cannot make any technical analysis of what you saw?

1. If you're 'a long time MMA fan' as you like to claim, you would have seen him fight before.

2. His other fights are available on YouTube.

Maybe you can watch them and get back to us. Then we can talk some striking analysis. Because so far all you have done is thrown out generalized talking points.

Watch a few of his fights. Don't be ignorant and/or lazy. Try to at least back up your opinion of what makes his striking so overrated. Kind of hard to do that without technical analysis.

Obviously this. I knew nothing of Conor before his UFC debut but decided to check up on his fights and subsequently was firmly swinging from his nuts even before he made quick work of Marcus. If you can't see he's a class striker with exceptional timing, composure and skill then you're simply doing it wrong...

This is very fair and a strong assessment that I can agree with.

However, he shouldn't be in talks amongst guys like Aldo or Cub Swanson. No one knows if he has any sort of wrestling at all or what he can do on his back. People talk as if he has KO'd like 5 guys already. It's crazy. Hell, people don't even know what his cardio is like. Lol!

And another thing is that he doesn't even train with any top camp yet. UNtil he does that, he will be soon for a fall. We've seen a ton of these guys over the years from other countries look good for a little while until they start facing top 10 types of guys that are training with a ton of great fighters every day in American camps and they can't measure up after while. There are a few other top camps outside of America like Blackhouse and Tristar, but a guy like Connor Mcgregor won't go that far until he gets with a top camp that can show him how to continually evolve. He'll eventually his a ceiling, and that isn't just some assumption. THat's based off of years of MMA history showing that it will happen.

Agreed. No one should be reading to much into his fight with Marcus as the match up was basically gift wrapped for Conor. And anybody who says Conors name in the same breathe as Aldo is INSANE. All we can go on is Conors past fights and this one and let time dictate where he goes, with respect to a camp, and how he develops. From a striking standpoint for a green fighter in the UFC he is quite advanced and has some solid boxing skills that could potentially develop into a very dangerous attack. But again, ALOT of questions are left unanswered, specifically his grappling skills, gas tank, and tendencies in later rounds.

Don't get me wrong, Conor is a great prospect but I think all the top 10 guys dominate him via grappling. Shit I think any good wrestler gives him fits, no matter what they're ranked. I need to see more than him KOing Marcus to say he should fight guys like Cub.

It's hardly out of control. It was an extremely impressive debut, reminiscent of Anderson Silva's, and he has been impressive in his previous fights as well where he won two belts in Cage Rage. He has also visibly been improving a lot from fight to fight. That is all you can judge him on, and that is what people are doing. It's pretty easy to see, if you have the slightest idea what you are looking at, that he is an incredible talent. Not to mention his psyche seems to be rock solid.
Whether he has the grappling to hang with high level guys that obviously remains to be seen, but seeing as he regularly trains with Gunnar Nelson and seems to have a good coach and team, I for one have high hopes.

Obviously this. I knew nothing of Conor before his UFC debut but decided to check up on his fights and subsequently was firmly swinging from his nuts even before he made quick work of Marcus. If you can't see he's a class striker with exceptional timing, composure and skill then you're simply doing it wrong...

Exactly the same here. I got myself up to speed ASAP after his UFC debut.

This other dude is just crying because people are hyping him. He can't even back up his (very ridiculous) claims of McGregor's striking being overrated.

All I get from his posts are emotional tantrums. Nothing whatsoever of substance.

I think I should clarify I'm not talk about keeping your hands up at all times as a defence. But more in response to what I immediately see in the gifs. When Conner strikes most of the time he has his chin in the air and hands down (Maybe he just felt comfortable with Brimage). It just takes a fighter to counter his counter and he gets caught clean. Keeping his hands up while countering as Machida did against Bader would make it harder for the opponent to land when they're both throwing.

This I agree. It's okay for you to keep your hands low while re adjusting position and maybe looking for counters or baiting the opponent. I just think that it would be better if you "can" keep your hands up while countering and attacking.

Conor Mcgregor is awesome! I don't even care if the hype-train gets derailed. I'm a fan. Love that Irish boxing, and those kicks.

EDIT: Found it
conor.gif

Just watched this match. Sick gif.

Max Holloway will be a tough test though and Mcgregor hasn't faced a guy with standup as good as his before.

Last edited:
McGregor has that certain flash and style that could make him a potential superstar someday. He could be to Ireland what GSP is to Canada.
this post is from a year ago, and now what was prophecized has become reality.

Let us bask in this glorious dawn of the McGregor era.

I watched his other fights after he beat Brimage and you can see a steady improvement and an impressive list of inherent qualities. He is fast, accurate, powerful, agile and a quick learner. Add to that his mental toughness displayed by his lack of jitters and actually throwing Brimage off his game instead and you have a possible future contender.

It's a debut that is almost Anderson vs Leben like. It'd be cool to see him continue in the vein that AS did.

Mah man right here!

Back