• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Striking of Conor McGregor (with GIF's) -- RETRO BUMP

I saw that fight live and i was super impressed how he looked. movement, range, attacks, counters etc. He defently a threat to the gold!

His striking really strikes out as being very striking.

It will be extremely intresting to follow this guy...

I recently started following Conor on Twitter and seen that his next fight will be televised on the new Fox Sports 1. Now is that a channel that I'm gonna have to pay extra for? Because if so, I will, as long as it allows me to witness this kid do battle.

Last edited:
He's good. claims of him being the future champion are unwarranted, but we'll see in the future when he fights tougher competition.

glad to see Ireland bringing the ruckus to the UFC now!

He threw some of his uppercuts really weird as well, anyone else think about that? He was kind of winding up from down at his hips, flicking his wrists like when you're skipping stones.

Anyone have the stats from this fight? Did marcus hit him with anything? And how many strikes did McGregor miss?

Marcus countered the front kick with a straight punch that didn't move McGregor's head the slightest bit, and actually landed one of his strong hooks but McGregor was unaffected. Other than that he landed a couple punches in the exchanges highlighted and I don't know what else if anything. I don't have the stats.

And yeah he wound up some of those uppercuts in a silly telegraphing way which is why i mentioned him "clowning" Brimage with his uppercuts because Brimage was helpless to them.

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4297

12 KO's in 13 wins is no fluke. Thats some boxing shit. Dudes a young killer.

The first post can be essentially summarized with the statement that it proves what everyone already knows: McGregor has boxing fundamentals down, which makes him stand out in the context of MMA because the average UFC fighter, like Brimage, displays very little technical striking facility. However, keep in mind McGregor's only had one fight in the UFC, and nobody knows whether or not he can be rendered helpless simply with a takedown (e.g. Melvin Manhoef) yet. Beyond that, nobody knows how well he would do against someone who was not a mediocre striker like Brimage, and even so, being able to use boxing fundamentals to success in MMA doesn't necessarily make a fighter championship material, especially if he doesn't have the rounded skill-set to meet the variety of challenges presented in a fight with a top-10 ranked opponent.

tl;dr McGregor has some legitimate skills, and definite potential beyond that, but it's really not fair to presume that he'll do well in the UFC on the basis of one fight inside of it thus far. Being able to recognize flaws in an opponent's game and exploiting them is something any serious contender should be able to do. As it stands, Bendo could keep him at range with kicks and probably take him down with ease, and there is no way McGregor could beat Pettis at FW or LW.

The first post can be essentially summarized with the statement that it proves what everyone already knows: McGregor has boxing fundamentals down, which makes him stand out in the context of MMA because the average UFC fighter, like Brimage, displays very little technical striking facility. However, keep in mind McGregor's only had one fight in the UFC, and nobody knows whether or not he can be rendered helpless simply with a takedown (e.g. Melvin Manhoef) yet. Beyond that, nobody knows how well he would do against someone who was not a mediocre striker like Brimage, and even so, being able to use boxing fundamentals to success in MMA doesn't necessarily make a fighter championship material, especially if he doesn't have the rounded skill-set to meet the variety of challenges presented in a fight with a top-10 ranked opponent.

tl;dr McGregor has some legitimate skills, and definite potential beyond that, but it's really not fair to presume that he'll do well in the UFC on the basis of one fight inside of it thus far. Being able to recognize flaws in an opponent's game and exploiting them is something any serious contender should be able to do. As it stands, Bendo could keep him at range with kicks and probably take him down with ease, and there is no way McGregor could beat Pettis at FW or LW.

Asks us not to make assumptions about who the kid could potentially beat as we haven't had the oppurtunity to see how he can deal with various situations at a high level yet, proceeds to make assumptions about who would or wouldn't beat the kid regardless of previously mentioned evidence.

Oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

Asks us not to make assumptions about who the kid could potentially beat as we haven't had the oppurtunity to see how he can deal with various situations at a high level yet, proceeds to make assumptions about would or wouldn't beat the kid regardless of previously mentioned evidence.
I suppose that's fair, but for all intents and purposes, McGregor is a striker. It thus stands to reason that most of his victories will come by way of (T)KO, and as such, he would probably need to finish Bendo or Pettis to pull off a win, which is just unlikely to happen.

That said, I do freely admit that I will have no qualms in eating my words if he does end up as a worthy title contender.

Great read/thread! I really like those since I still can't fully appreciate striking by not understanding it!
But damn, he gets out of the way by a fucking inch! :eek:

Chin up and too stiff

Bingo

He's standing straight up and down and his footwork is average. Alot of moving backwards instead of side to side. No head movement.

He's got good reaction time and very good punches. Nice straights and uppercuts etc. but he would get eaten alive by kickboxers like Thompson, Cerrone, and Pettis.

They should put him against a wrestler to see if he's got big potential. And if he wins another match up I would love to see him fight Nate Diaz. I think he would get outworked and beaten up.

Bingo

He's standing straight up and down and his footwork is average. Alot of moving backwards instead of side to side. No head movement.

He's got good reaction time and very good punches. Nice straights and uppercuts etc. but he would get eaten alive by kickboxers like Thompson, Cerrone, and Pettis.

They should put him against a wrestler to see if he's got big potential. And if he wins another match up I would love to see him fight Nate Diaz. I think he would get outworked and beaten up.

What?

He was fighting a man he towered over - yet he's supposed to fight crouched and fight small so Brimage could get at him easier?

Conor fought tall because he had a significant reach and height advantage. He also took advantage of Brimage overextending his punches (which Conor acknowledged).

Great read/thread! I really like those since I still can't fully appreciate striking by not understanding it!
But damn, he gets out of the way by a fucking inch! :eek:

That's all any great counter puncher needs is an inch. Not dodging a punch by 2 feet (wasted movements).

Back