The Ultimate Superfight: Edwards vs Makhachev

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
I get it, we're all tired of the endless talk about super fights and wishing champs would just stick to defending their titles. Totally on the same page. But, if things work out just right, we might actually have a legit superfight on our hands: Edwards vs Makhachev.

Now, hear me out.

O'Malley's wants to move up to take on Topuria, who's also looking to climb a weight class to challenge Makhachev, who’s also looking to move up to challenge Edwards. In an ideal scenario, this could set the stage for the greatest match up in UFC history.

Bare with me.

- O'Malley against Merab, then possibly Sandhagen or Umar, and then Yan or Cejudo.

- Topuria rematches Volkanovski, followed by Holloway, and then Evloev. And if all goes well, Topuria vs O'Malley.

- Makhachev fights Gaethje, Oliveira or Tsarukyan, and a then maybe Poirier. And if all goes to plan, Makhachev vs Topuria.

- Edwards fights Belal, then Shavkat, and maybe a fight with Garry, MVP, or Madallena. All building up to the big one: Edwards vs Makhachev.

Sure, this will probably not happen, but imagine if it actually does – Edwards vs Makhachev would be this era’s Silva vs GSP.

Honestly, I'd rather Islam break the record for most defenses before any kind of super fight talk. Having both Ilia and O'Malley chirping about it post fight has really tired the whole double champ talk. Not only does it logjam two divisions, the champion rarely ever defends both.

I get it, we're all tired of the endless talk about super fights and wishing champs would just stick to defending their titles. Totally on the same page. But, if things work out just right, we might actually have a legit superfight on our hands: Edwards vs Makhachev.

Now, hear me out.

O'Malley's wants to move up to take on Topuria, who's also looking to climb a weight class to challenge Makhachev, who’s also looking to move up to challenge Edwards. In an ideal scenario, this could set the stage for the greatest match up in UFC history.

Bare with me.

- O'Malley against Merab, then possibly Sandhagen or Umar, and then Yan or Cejudo.

- Topuria rematches Volkanovski, followed by Holloway, and then Evloev. And if all goes well, Topuria vs O'Malley.

- Makhachev fights Gaethje, Oliveira or Tsarukyan, and a then maybe Poirier. And if all goes to plan, Makhachev vs Topuria.

- Edwards fights Belal, then Shavkat, and maybe a fight with Garry, MVP, or Madallena. All building up to the big one: Edwards vs Makhachev.

Sure, this will probably not happen, but imagine if it actually does – Edwards vs Makhachev would be this era’s Silva vs GSP.
1710289865984.gif

The ulti....... mate??????? In what reality?

Edit: oh holy fuck now I read the actual thread. This is a troll post. Only a filthy casual or a troll would think Edwards and Makhachev is ANYWHERE NEAR Silva vs GSP. What a disgraceful comparison. Trash.

I’m all for it if Makhachev beats Gaethje and Arman. That’s a tall task tho because Gaethje will KO him if that fight ever happens

I’m all for it if Makhachev beats Gaethje and Arman. That’s a tall task tho because Gaethje will KO him if that fight ever happens
Depends. If Islam gets a hold of him, he likely Khabibs him.

DGUXJ-wVYAElTVV.jpg:large

They both have work to do in their own divisions. Islam has Gaethje/Holloway winner and Oliveira/Tsarukyan winner. Leon has Belal and Shavkat lined up. They should both have at least 2 more title defenses before this is even worth discussing.

Honestly, I'd rather Islam break the record for most defenses before any kind of super fight talk. Having both Ilia and O'Malley chirping about it post fight has really tired the whole double champ talk. Not only does it logjam two divisions, the champion rarely ever defends both.
It's not really to defend both. If you win, you give up the lower belt and stay at the higher division and 2 contenders get to fight for a vacant belt, and if you lose, you move back down to defend the only belt you have.

Not sure why it's that crazy or why being a dominant champ of another division is any less deserving than a contender who's won a few in the same weight class but never been a champ. They've usually beaten better guys than someone who beat random contenders in the same division.

It's not really to defend both. If you win, you give up the lower belt and stay at the higher division and 2 contenders get to fight for a vacant belt, and if you lose, you move back down to defend the only belt you have.

Not sure why it's that crazy or why being a dominant champ of another division is any less deserving than a contender who's won a few in the same weight class but never been a champ. They've usually beaten better guys than someone who beat random contenders in the same division.
I wouldn't call any of the current champions dominant at the moment and how many champions actually vacated a belt to defend the new one?

in my mind, this is the absolute worst kind of super fight. Two guys who have very few top 5 or 10 wins against the current rankings NOT fighting other ranked opponents in their division while having only a few title defenses.

Luke warm for me.

Rather see Francisco vs Henan in PFL than that shit TBH

I wouldn't call any of the current champions dominant at the moment and how many champions actually vacated a belt to defend the new one?
They don't usually win, but Conor got stripped after winning the LW title, DC gave up the LHW belt, and the guys who lost went back down.

They don't usually win, but Conor got stripped after winning the LW title, DC gave up the LHW belt, and the guys who lost went back down.
So there isn't any proof that one guy would even defend his newly won belt and vacate the other one? I don't know... I don't like that at all and would prefer fighters defend the belt and clear out their division. That's why GSP vs Anderson was so enticing.

Islam is in my opinion the best pound for pound fighter in MMA today (Dagestani fanboy, Khabibs top prospects have lost a bunch). Every Champ in the UFC has clear contenders who could beat them and would be close in odds or even the favorite over the Champ. Merab is the favorite over Omalley, Holloway may very well be a favorite over Topuria, Shavkat may be over Leon, Izzy probably would be over Dricus, Ankalaev would be over Pereira and who's to say with Jones and Aspinall. Islam however? His biggest threat is Arman and I still think he's like a 3 to 1 favorite there. Even outside the UFC, Islam's biggest threats are all Russian guys in Usman N., Shabliy and Vartanyan.

That said, Islam hasn't defended vs a Lightweight yet. And Poirier doesn't cut it as a fucking defense lmao. Have him defend vs Arman/Oliveira winner and then Gaethje pending he beats Holloway. After that? Well if Leon also still has the title and gets through probably Belal and then Shavkat...I'd love to see this fight. Champs gotta defend though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back