The Ultimate Superfight: Edwards vs Makhachev

But won't Leon want to fight at 185 for double champ status by the time all that happens?

So there isn't any proof that one guy would even defend his newly won belt and vacate the other one? I don't know... I don't like that at all and would prefer fighters defend the belt and clear out their division. That's why GSP vs Anderson was so enticing.
Not sure what proof you're looking for other than the times it's happened. It's up to the UFC how fast they're stripped, but Cejudo stayed at BW and defended, DC stayed at HW and defended, Conor got stripped to go box but came back to LW. They're probably not going to strip them before the fight so they can move back down to defend if they lose like BJ, Adesanya, Volk, but if they win they get the same PPV points to defend at the higher weight class but they don't have to starve themselves for the lower one anymore.

Like I said, the UFC can have an interim title fight already set, and just strip the current champ if he wins at the higher weight class and make it for the vacant title, which would give 2 contenders a title shot at each other. So for LW, since nobody is really on a long win streak or a clear #1 contender, they could have the winner of Charles/Arman fight the winner of Gaethje/Max for the interim title in August, and if Islam were to beat Leon in June or July, he gives up the LW belt and that becomes a vacant title, which frankly is the best shot those guys have at becoming champ anyway.

I think it's even sillier for every guy in the division to call for a title shot after every win and take a year between fights because they don't want to risk their ranking by fighting other contenders. Dustin just took 8 months between fights, it'll be 9 for Gaethje, Oliveira, it'll be 10 for Oliveira, and they're all only on 1 or 2 fight win streaks and expect a title shot.

Not sure what proof you're looking for other than the times it's happened. It's up to the UFC how fast they're stripped, but Cejudo stayed at BW and defended, DC stayed at HW and defended, Conor got stripped to go box but came back to LW. They're probably not going to strip them before the fight so they can move back down to defend if they lose like BJ, Adesanya, Volk, but if they win they get the same PPV points to defend at the higher weight class but they don't have to starve themselves for the lower one anymore.

Like I said, the UFC can have an interim title fight already set, and just strip the current champ if he wins at the higher weight class and make it for the vacant title, which would give 2 contenders a title shot at each other. So for LW, since nobody is really on a long win streak or a clear #1 contender, they could have the winner of Charles/Arman fight the winner of Gaethje/Max for the interim title, and if Islam were to beat Leon, he gives up the LW belt and that becomes a vacant title, which frankly is the best shot those guys have at becoming champ anyway.

I think it's even sillier for every guy in the division to call for a title shot after every win and take a year between fights because they don't want to risk their ranking by fighting other contenders. Dustin just took 8 months between fights, it'll be 9 for Gaethje, Oliveira, it'll be 10 for Oliveira, and they're all only on 1 or 2 fight win streaks and expect a title shot.
You might think it's silly for a guy to hold up two divisions in-between fights but that's only because the UFC allows them too. No reason a guy can't defend their belt in January and be ready to defend by May or June but no later. However, I still think the appeal of a champ vs champ fight is when it's actually 2 established champs and are viewed by everyone that they are the very best of their division.

in my mind, this is the absolute worst kind of super fight. Two guys who have very few top 5 or 10 wins against the current rankings NOT fighting other ranked opponents in their division while having only a few title defenses.

Luke warm for me.
Totally agree, the only way this is a potential Spider v. GSP superfight is if they both are still champions in 2027-2028 while also having cleaned out their division.

Even Dana doesn't like his fighters going for double champ status this fight would be the perfect headliner for the Saudi event.

I think Edwards and Islam super fight is fine. LW new contenders can't beat the old guard or already lost to Islam. 170 is also a bit weird. I rather see Leon fight Islam than fight Belal. You can scream and shout how it isn't fair but nobody wants to watch that matchup. Shavkat seems like he is due for a title shot but the promotion is probably going to hold him for one more fight with JDM. I wouldn't be surprised if they push MVP vs Garry for a title eliminator so they can have mega UK event with two locals fighting for the title.

Back