Media The worst stoppage in MMA history just happened

young-woman-helping-blind-person-long-cane-white-background-148537532.jpg
5C84D8D1-82BF-4DF0-A20A-172E7943176A.jpeg

If he was unconscious, why TF did the opponent break his arm?

You feel a limp body when attached to you.

If he was NOT out and did not tap, what was the ref supposed to do?

Yeah that was nearly as fucked up as the ref not doing his job. There is no way his opponent didn't realize he was done, he just wanted to take an arm home. I realize fighters are drilled to fight until it's stopped, but that's too far.

Jesus. This legit just made me sick. The refs are there to protect you from shit like this.

can’t imagine what that dudes family went through watching that.

We have seen bad stoppage but this..

There must be an explanation.

We don't have the audio between the ref and the fighters, maybe the dude was saying to the ref he was ok until he tapped.

Texas commission and Fury both comment on the referee fail. The commission seems to want Fury to share blame, while Fury trying to wash their hands.
Texas Commission Releases Statement on Officiating Gaffe at Fury FC 76

Commission Statement:
“TDLR is aware of concerns about the officiating in one of last night’s fights,” the statement read. “All TDLR officials receive ongoing training and we monitor each fight for consistency in officiating.
“Fight officials for each competition are always selected in conjunction with promoters.”

Fury Statement
"It is the referee’s job to protect the fighter when the fighter cannot protect him or herself. In last night’s main event, the referee failed to do this. While the job of a referee is one of the hardest to do in this sport, the need for proper and continued training would help to alleviate things like this incident."
"We do not hire, train or select refs for our shows, but we would be more than willing to lead a revamp and overhaul of the reffing and judging selection and training process."

As if this is something new. Remember Dollaway vs. Khalid Murtazaliev? Watch that horrible sequence in its full lenght. Dean didn't even stopped the fight until C.B. clearly couldn't get up between rounds. The refs that are used for the UFC events, who should be the most competent, are often really incompetent.

Ref HAD a reason NOT To Stop the fight IF VICTIM WAS LOSING.
Threat or debt... PERIOD.

ANYONE CAN SEE THIS CLEARLY WAS A CRIME.

How is this a bad stoppage? Are we supposed to be convinced the guy was out just because the commentator said so?

I'm not even saying he wasn't out but its silly to be 100% sure one way or the other. Yall know nothing

I think people with actual functioning eyes could see he was clearly out while in the choke.

It has nothing to do with listening to a commentator. It's literally watching what is happening. Surely, you can't be this dense?

Then the armbar after while he is still completely unconscious...but yeah, the ref did a great job, he knew best, while we "know nothing".

<YeahOKJen>

Jones vs Hammill was pretty fucking horrible that fight shouldve been stopped minutes before the hellbow

That's a bit extreme, he wouldn't have died, the brain can go without oxygen for about 3 minutes before brain damage occurs.

Still absolutely terrible reffing and the Vazquez needlessly got his arm broken though.
triangles are blood chokes. you can breathe in a triangle but still go out, this is stopping blood to the brain. not sure how long you can last without blood going to the brain but i thought i’d bring it up

Texas commission and Fury both comment on the referee fail. The commission seems to want Fury to share blame, while Fury trying to wash their hands.
Texas Commission Releases Statement on Officiating Gaffe at Fury FC 76

Commission Statement:
“TDLR is aware of concerns about the officiating in one of last night’s fights,” the statement read. “All TDLR officials receive ongoing training and we monitor each fight for consistency in officiating.
“Fight officials for each competition are always selected in conjunction with promoters.”

Fury Statement
"It is the referee’s job to protect the fighter when the fighter cannot protect him or herself. In last night’s main event, the referee failed to do this. While the job of a referee is one of the hardest to do in this sport, the need for proper and continued training would help to alleviate things like this incident."
"We do not hire, train or select refs for our shows, but we would be more than willing to lead a revamp and overhaul of the reffing and judging selection and training process."

That's a new one for me. Hasn't the commission always been the one that assigns refs and shit like that? I mean that's a big part of the job as a commission, right!? You can't have the organization assigning their own refs because that can quickly become sketchy.

Just seems like they are trying to remove any responsibility on their part. Now, I wouldn't even blame them. They couldn't know the ref was gonna fuck up this bad. (unless he has a track record of doing retarded shit then it's on them)

Jesus christ, just about every person involved in this needs to be punched in the nuts

The ref for obvious reasons
The other fighter for not just letting the choke go once he knew guy was out
The corner for not throwing in the towel or fucking jumping the fence to stop it

Back