This UFC Card Another Example Of Looking Shallow On Paper, But Alot Of Fun Fights

what the fuck is with sherdog's fetish for finishes?

lipski vs silva was a great fight with no finish. same with maheshate/benitez and onama/pearce.

na liang's fight ended in a finish because she only has a gas tank that lasts 3 minutes.

There’s something to be said for pre event hype and actually caring about the results. Makes tuning in more exciting. But if you just enjoy watching the sport, these kind of cards often fulfill that desire and can be fun.

lipski vs silva was a great fight with no finish. same with maheshate/benitez and onama/pearce.

na liang's fight ended in a finish because she only has a gas tank that lasts 3 minutes.
I find it odd people on here love the UFC and will hate on the "B Leagues" but they have a lot more mismatch bouts that end in finishes. Fight nights like tonight have finishes because they are basically regional level fighters with the UFC brand on the screen.

If a fighter has endless finishes it usually means they are fighting too low level fighters. Look at Chimaev for example. His 2 most exciting fights are not finishes.

There’s something to be said for pre event hype and actually caring about the results. Makes tuning in more exciting. But if you just enjoy watching the sport, these kind of cards often fulfill that desire and can be fun.

Names definitely generate atmosphere, and it was a bit quiet in the PBP tonight because there weren't many on offer tonight, but yeah, many of the fights were fun and the action was good.

I wonder if that's why he worded it "a lot of finishes AND FUN FIGHTS." Even if you read nothing but the title, you would have known that.

I find it odd people on here love the UFC and will hate on the "B Leagues" but they have a lot more mismatch bouts that end in finishes. Fight nights like tonight have finishes because they are basically regional level fighters with the UFC brand on the screen.

If a fighter has endless finishes it usually means they are fighting too low level fighters. Look at Chimaev for example. His 2 most exciting fights are not finishes.

I fully agree with this whole sentiment, but I do want to point out that it's the fact that well-known high-level fighters are competing that makes the finishes feel worthwhile. What do I care if some shmuck knocks out some no-name in the basement of a bar in Gary, Indiana? Of course he was going to; it was a mismatch all along. It's when you have the best in the world going at it that fights and finishes are truly exciting, because you know almost no one in the world would be able to do it (that is, finish a particular fighter) - yet they can.

I watch all UFC cards, but it always annoys me when people post stuff like this. If all I cared about was fun fights and finishes, I’d go watch Streetbeefs.

I watch all UFC cards, but it always annoys me when people post stuff like this. If all I cared about was fun fights and finishes, I’d go watch Streetbeefs.

Well, the "what we want to watch" tier list goes like this:

1. Skilled and exciting (Oliveira, Holloway, Poirier, etc.)
2. Less skilled and exciting (Nate Landwehr, Tuivasa, Chandler, etc.)
3. Skilled and boring (Adesanya, Edwards, Strickland, etc.)
4. Less skilled and boring (Unranked heavyweights, women's bantamweight, etc.)

This card was mostly in category 2. Yes, it would be nice if all fights ever were category 1 but we just came off of UFC 300 so the best we can hope for is an exciting card with fun fights, and that's exactly what we got.

Last edited:
Well, the "what we want to watch" tier list goes like this:

1. Skilled and exciting (Oliveira, Holloway, Poirier, etc.)
2. Unskilled and exciting (Nate Landwehr, Tuivasa, etc.)
3. Skilled and boring (Adesanya, Edwards, Strickland, etc.)
4. Unskilled and boring (Unranked heavyweights, women's bantamweight, etc.)

This card was mostly in category 2. Yes, it would be nice if all fights ever were category 1 but we just came off of UFC 300 so the best we can hope for is an exciting card with fun fights, and that's exactly what we got.
I disagree with this. It’s the UFC. Skilled is all that matters. Once again, if all I cared about was unskilled and exciting, I’d go watch Streetbeefs.

In order for fighters to become well known and draws... they gotta fight. I for one don't mind cards that are light on name value.

The sport is watered down. I miss the days of one, maybe two cards a month with only LW-HW. A card a week, 6 million fighters on the roster, the women and the lower weight classes has hurt the sport
Was with you until that dumb ass second part.

I disagree with this. It’s the UFC. Skilled is all that matters. Once again, if all I cared about was unskilled and exciting, I’d go watch Streetbeefs.
Streetbeefs is a different level of unskilled, far below the regional FCs and even amateur scene. UFC-unskilled and exciting is totally fine cause the skill floor to even get signed to the UFC (at least below LHW) is high enough that it's not just a dumb slugfest

I tuned in for Hubbard vs Figlak, two unranked LWs I've never heard of, because they had even Vegas odds, and boom, banger fight

Streetbeefs is a different level of unskilled, far below the regional FCs and even amateur scene. UFC-unskilled and exciting is totally fine cause the skill floor to even get signed to the UFC (at least below LHW) is high enough that it's not just a dumb slugfest

I tuned in for Hubbard vs Figlak, two unranked LWs I've never heard of, because they had even Vegas odds, and boom, banger fight
I’m joking about Streetbeefs. The point is that cards are judged based on the skill and name value of the fighters on the card. It’s what separates the UFC from other organizations. Once the skill and name value drop below a certain level, there is no difference between the UFC and a lot of other MMA organizations. The fact that a card ends up being entertaining is irrelevant when it comes to judging the value of a card.

Back