Tips for New Fighters Starting Out

Yeah between ts and the brown belt everything here is covered and I can't think of anything else to add. Should be sticky. Took me 10 fights to get my routine right, I wish this would have been around awhilee back.

I'd like to hear more about how one actually goes about getting their first fight (amateur and pro respectively), particularly if they don't train at a gym that currently has any fighters or don't live in an area that has a big MMA scene.

Any thoughts from those who've been down this road? I've been training martial arts all my life and MMA for the past 4 years, but being a working adult, haven't had the opportunity to really pursue a fight until recently. But I'm not sure where to begin looking. Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

I'd like to hear more about how one actually goes about getting their first fight (amateur and pro respectively), particularly if they don't train at a gym that currently has any fighters or don't live in an area that has a big MMA scene.

Any thoughts from those who've been down this road? I've been training martial arts all my life and MMA for the past 4 years, but being a working adult, haven't had the opportunity to really pursue a fight until recently. But I'm not sure where to begin looking. Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

If there are any local/nearby shows just go to one and introduce yourself to the promoter. Tell him your training and experience and give him your info. I've always been at a gym but my coach promotes fights and has had several "Independent" fighters do this. Low-level/amateur promoters are always looking to fill up a card and will usually not turn anyone down. This being said be wary of promoters known for feeding inexperienced guys to fighters that greatly outmatch them. If you watch the show you're at you should be able to get a feel for the matchups.

Honestly I don't recommend going at it independently and think having a seasoned coach is a necessity, but hell, if you put on a good fight you may catch the eye of an MMA gym and they'll invite you to come train (sometimes for free). But to reiterate, I do not recommend doing it without having the approval from a seasoned coach.

I don't know your training experience but be sure to protect yourself. It's only really a dangerous sport if you don't know what you're doing.

Good thread, pretty accurate. People don't realize how much of a mindfuck waiting backstage is. Its exhausting being nervous. Even when you know you can crush the other guy it is still nerve racking. The more you do it, the easier it is to deal with, but beginners are sometimes extremely surprised and don't know how to deal with it.

Enjoyed this read and tweeted a quote from it, haha.

NoodlesRap
"You might feel you're in the greatest shape... but at the end of the day, nerves drain your gas faster than anything else." -Josh Harley

Enjoyed this read and tweeted a quote from it, haha.

NoodlesRap
"You might feel you're in the greatest shape... but at the end of the day, nerves drain your gas faster than anything else." -Josh Harley

is twitter any good? never even looked at it

^ Depending on who you follow and how you use it, it can either be a complete waste of time, or an excellent Primary news-source.

For example; I follow several professional fighters, many of which are excited to post who they are fighting next and when and where.

Rather than waiting for or searching through blogs for that information (when they almost always get something wrong or embellish facts for entertainment purposes) I have the direct source.

It's also good for some novelty fun, in the aspect of talking to celebrities. I've had several celebrities correspond with me on more than one occasion. BJ Penn sent a funny response to a question I asked him once, Paulie Malignaggi is always chatting back/forth with followers, RJD2 inquisited me about some music I compared to his.

It's worth checking out.

Follow me @NoodlesRap and i'll follow back. You can DM me with any questions.

A lot of great info on this. Will have my first amateur match in a few months!

Great read man, thanks for taking the time to pass on your wisdom. Good luck in your future wars.

Good read and great tips. One thing I thought was a little strange though...how the hell do you manage a nap sitting backstage before your last warm up?

If it were me, the last thing I would be able to do an hour or so from a fight is fall asleep!

You must have great composure.

^ Depending on who you follow and how you use it, it can either be a complete waste of time, or an excellent Primary news-source.

For example; I follow several professional fighters, many of which are excited to post who they are fighting next and when and where.

Rather than waiting for or searching through blogs for that information (when they almost always get something wrong or embellish facts for entertainment purposes) I have the direct source.

It's also good for some novelty fun, in the aspect of talking to celebrities. I've had several celebrities correspond with me on more than one occasion. BJ Penn sent a funny response to a question I asked him once, Paulie Malignaggi is always chatting back/forth with followers, RJD2 inquisited me about some music I compared to his.

It's worth checking out.

Follow me @NoodlesRap and i'll follow back. You can DM me with any questions.

You can follow me on twitter now at goldenboy_josh

Good read and great tips. One thing I thought was a little strange though...how the hell do you manage a nap sitting backstage before your last warm up?

If it were me, the last thing I would be able to do an hour or so from a fight is fall asleep!

You must have great composure.

I am very composed, my cornerman/bro/best friend/trainer Jesse Bongfeldt reminds me before a fight not to be too calm, I seem kind of disinterested standing in the cage/ring before a fight.

he told me being calm is good but once you plant your feet its on! he is trying to take everything you worked for and you cannot allow that

never had a problem with nerves, I get butterflies when my music starts and Once I walk out they go away.

I sleep like a baby the night before,

just lucky I suppose,

Great post!! Any experience with dealing with 2 no shows for your first pro fight?

Great post Josh. I'm hoping to get my first fight in April. Haven't put my name down yet, but your advice is greatly appreciated and will be used.

Back