Tired of the money begging by fighters

piropiro

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

1) You signed a contract

If you didn’t like the amounts or they weren’t sufficient for you to live, then you should have asked for more or if impossible then focused on alternative means of employment / earning. In all professions when anyone is about to sign a contract they negotiate the pay, not sign then later complain it’s not enough for them and they are broke.

2) It’s the way most sports careers begin

Plenty of athletes before becoming superstars (for example most olympians, especially in the less popular disciplines and until they get to medal level) struggle and make ends meet with second jobs or family support. If you don’t like it then choose a different more immediately rewarding career.
You couldn’t because you are an ex convict degenerate (exaggerating obviously) who can only fight? Well then be glad you are getting a - high by general population standards - income instead of being on welfare or in jail.

3) You anyway earned enough not to be broke

The latest cry-babies, Tate and Cannonier, have been earning way over 100k per year fron the UFC (plus likely some personal sponsors, other things on the side such as teaching gigs, etc) … that is absolutely enough to not be broke at all: the median family income in the USA is 60k, so you are making at least double that. If you are still broke because of “heart monitors and healthy food” (Tate’s response) you are frankly an idiot.

PS: just saw in another thread that Cannonier made over 1/2 million in the last 3 years … as usual athletes being “broke” is about money management not salary, after all there have been plenty of footballers and other highly paid athletes declaring bankruptcy despite earning tens and in some cases hundreds of millions.

Last edited:
Imo the fighters are just being honest.

MMA as a sport began to make more coverage these days but their payout are unmatched by NBA, football and soccer.

To be a ranked fighter in UFC is a sign that you had "made it" in the game - but the payout didn't matched the brand. Just my 2 cent.

If you were at a party and heard some guy say he hates his job, the pay, health benefits and his boss your first question to him would be "Why don't you change careers?". That or you would drag him outside and give him something to really complain about.

Some of these low level guys should be eternally grateful that the UFC has to put on 40 events a year and have as many fighters on the roster as they do.

I agree TS.

I hate those bastards for trying to make a better life for their families.

Let the c*nts starve eh?

You know you are absolutely missing the point for the sake of cheap morals. Of course everyone wishes everyone the best, but with some realism. If I sign a contract getting me 150k per year, then I spend excessively and so complain to my employer that I’m broke he should pay me more … you see where I’m going I think …

It’s not even about how much they earn in the end, in many cases: recently I read about a footballer who was earning 200k per month, for years, and was completely broke … I don’t think his employer was making him “starve” to quote you.

Woodley endlessly complained about income and being almost broke … whilst making videos about buying thousand-dollar sneakers.

Perry, who I doubt has the intellect to get any other job except fighting, was buying multiple cars and LV goods as soon as the fight was over … then was totally broke.

I think there are hundreds of examples.

Last edited:
Well buddy,Miesha Tate said she lost abaut 80 percent of her purse on taxes and training expenses.Considering her purse was 200 k thats leaves here with 40 k. And she is kinda off a big name so do the math.

1) You signed a contract

If you didn’t like the amounts or they weren’t sufficient for you to live, then you should have asked for more or if impossible then focused on alternative means of employment / earning. In all professions when anyone is about to sign a contract they negotiate the pay, not sign then later complain it’s not enough for them and they are broke.

2) It’s the way most sports careers begin

Plenty of athletes before becoming superstars (for example most olympians, especially in the less popular disciplines and until they get to medal level) struggle and make ends meet with second jobs or family support. If you don’t like it then choose a different more immediately rewarding career.
You couldn’t because you are an ex convict degenerate (exaggerating obviously) who can only fight? Well then be glad you are getting a - high by general population standards - income instead of being on welfare or in jail.

3) You anyway earned enough not to be broke

The latest cry-babies, Tate and Cannonier, have been earning way over 100k per year fron the UFC (plus likely some personal sponsors, other things on the side such as teaching gigs, etc) … that is absolutely enough to not be broke at all: the median family income in the USA is 60k, so you are making at least double that. If you are still broke because of “heart monitors and healthy food” (Tate’s response) you are frankly an idiot.

PS: just saw in another thread that Cannonier made over 1/2 million in the last 3 years … as usual athletes being “broke” is about money management not salary, after all there have been plenty of footballers and other highly paid athletes declaring bankruptcy despite earning tens and in some cases hundreds of millions.

You are definitely part of the problem. Dana loves fans like you.

Technically, Cannonier didn't ask for more money. He asked for more fights.

He just said, I will take a fight instead of sitting on the sidelines waiting for a title shot because I need the money, and TS still found a way to complain about it.

You know you are absolutely missing the point for the sake of cheap morals. Of course everyone wishes everyone the best, but with some realism. If I sign a contract getting me 150k per year, then I spend excessively and so complain to my employer that I’m broke he should pay me more … you see where I’m going I hope.

It’s not even about how much they esrn in the end, in many cases: recently I read about a footballer who was earning 200k per month, for years, and was completely broke … I don’t think his employer was making him “starve” to quote you.
fighters spend excessively? rather than simply not earning enough? Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a training camp?

I understand what you are saying but that doesn’t make it fair what the UFC is doing. I don’t mind them complaining.

Boy are you in the wrong sport.

If you want to watch unpaid athletes, who have never and will likely never get paid, give it all on the regular and piss away their athletic career for a tiny chance to make it big go watch NCAA sports.

If you want to go all the way to the pros then watch top athletes and competitors employed by an owner and practically never complain about pay then watch any of the ball and stick alphabet soup of sports or any top motorsports.

fighters spend excessively? rather than simply not earning enough? Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a training camp?

Yes I know, it’s more complex than that.

It’s about approaching earning and spending with a modicum of logic and realism, otherwise it’s the same situation with 200k a year or a month.

Fighting and sports in general are jobs and careers with the same complexities as all others, accountants or plumbers or consultants or chefs, plus some serious additional challenges chiefly the short duration.

An athlete - or his advisors - needs to plan, budget, diversify, etc ….. and most of all be realistic ….. it’s not just a matter of asking the employer to pay me more, as we already see people getting several multiples of the average family income being broke anyway.

Well buddy,Miesha Tate said she lost abaut 80 percent of her purse on taxes and training expenses.Considering her purse was 200 k thats leaves here with 40 k. And she is kinda off a big name so do the math.

I call BS on her claim. Any accountant would deduct most work related expenses leaving a tax burden which would unlikely be more than 30-40k and a 70-80k camp would already be stretching it unless she just did silly stuff like super expensive hotels etc.

Of course I can complain I earned 100k and it’s all gone! Taxes, home, food, car, bills, etc … but that’s what your earnings are for, to pay for your life … what she thought, she earns 100k and magically it all becomes savings?

Last edited:
I still don't see why ts cares at all. You don't go out there and fight? You complain about them complaining to a bunch of Cheeto eating sweat hogs. Go and do everything in your power to tell them and then report back bud.

I did actually. I was a martial arts professional athlete 30 years ago when earnings (if you won) barely covered travel expenses to the events … so I went to college and developed in parallel to martial arts a related (in the field of fitness and health) more viable career, rather than complain about being broke.

You know you are absolutely missing the point for the sake of cheap morals. Of course everyone wishes everyone the best, but with some realism. If I sign a contract getting me 150k per year, then I spend excessively and so complain to my employer that I’m broke he should pay me more … you see where I’m going I think …

It’s not even about how much they earn in the end, in many cases: recently I read about a footballer who was earning 200k per month, for years, and was completely broke … I don’t think his employer was making him “starve” to quote you.

Woodley endlessly complained about income and being almost broke … whilst making videos about buying thousand-dollar sneakers.

Perry, who I doubt has the intellect to get any other job except fighting, was buying multiple cars and LV goods as soon as the fight was over … then was totally broke.

I think there are hundreds of examples.
You can spend 50k that year on a few camps sure but your opponent with a similar skillset and experience may end up spending 150k. Maybe they can afford to fly in someone who fights exactly like you do while you can only get someone local to try and mimic your opponent and maybe they aren't quite so good at it. Your opponent spent that $ on trips to or flying in some of the best coaches in the world. Meanwhile you are doing your best with your local coaches.

Yeah you may win. But the deck is continually stacked against you and you have to rely on your opponent making glaring amature hour mistakes as opposed to winning because you are actually better than they are. Then you find out for real when you face an opponent who doesn't make such mistakes and they give you a career's worth of damage. Maybe all it takes is one really hard punch that sits you down and your confidence is shot for the rest of your career. There are fights and fighters like that almost every card.

Money makes an enormous difference and the more difficult the opponent the more difference it can make. If not then you have to rely on your opponent and their coaches being incompetent in leaving massive holes in their game. It happens even at the elite level but that's a hell of a gamble and you have to be insanely well trained and dialed in to take advantage of that. You're not getting that level of attention at any gym without a shit load of money and/or the coach seeing something in you that they want to build up and they are willing to spend years of their lives to bring that out.

While some of your criticism is completely valid like how they spend their money on personal frivolous shit. Probably because they are depressed as shit. The truth is we know what it can cost to run an elite level camp and that's not in the 10s but 100s of thousands of dollars.

Back