Social Tlaib urges boycott of Bill Maher after he slams BDS movement. Update: Maher responds

How does that confirm what he's saying? I'm pointing out that his thinking on the matter is just as shallow as he claims others are and that's true, like for some anti-Zionists his thinking on the matter is primarily driven by identity politics.

Not really though. He's just saying that the Palestinians aren't some innocent victims they're portrayed as, and have done plenty to find themselves in the situation they're in. He's criticizing the identity politics behind the anti-Israel sentiment spouted off by some. He wasn't using identity politics to back up his own position.

Here we go again.

ThEY sHOuLd STop AtTAcK IsrAeL anD Try tO kiLl All jEW -average brainwashed murican*

*Canadian

Not really though. He's just saying that the Palestinians aren't some innocent victims they're portrayed as, and have done plenty to find themselves in the situation they're in. He's criticizing the identity politics behind the anti-Israel sentiment spouted off by some.
Uh yes I get that but his Zionism is also driven by identity politics so he's hardly any better. I mean, does anyone really believe that Maher has a deeply informed, nuanced understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? I certainly don't.

How does that confirm what he's saying? I'm pointing out that his thinking on the matter is just as shallow as he claims others are and that's true, like for some anti-Zionists his thinking on the matter is primarily driven by identity politics. I didn't make any claim on the conflict or even BDS so try again.
You literally said the same thing he did but opposite. So try again.
Edit: actually not even opposite.

Uh yes I get that but his Zionism is also driven by identity politics so he's hardly any better. I mean, does anyone really believe that Maher has a deeply informed, nuanced understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? I certainly don't.

But that would be an assumption based on your own bias. You don't know what he knows about it. You're merely assuming he's uneducated on the matter, because he doesn't agree with you. If he was blindly spouting off talking points in the other direction, would you have the same criticism? Doubt it. You'd be applauding him.

You literally said the same thing he did but opposite. So try again.
Edit: actually not even opposite.
Uh yes exactly, I'm accusing him of being guilty of the same thing he's accusing others of.
But that would be an assumption based on your own bias. You don't know what he knows about it. You're merely assuming he's uneducated on the matter, because he doesn't agree with you. If he was blindly spouting off talking points in the other direction, would you have the same criticism? Doubt it. You'd be applauding him.
No I'm not, I'm assuming that based on what I know of Bill Maher. He's like a friend of mine, a leftist as well. Both very clever but they have tricked themselves into thinking that being clever is a substitute for knowledge and thumb their noses at others despite not being as smart as they think they are. Its a common trait among comedians, they think because they can string together a few quips and make some basic point in some clever manner that suddenly they're the smartest person in the room.

Obviously despite my disagreements with them there are Zionists who are well informed on the topic. Even someone like Alan Dershowitz who is dishonest and speaking outside his area of expertise when discussing the conflict is someone I'd bet has a lot more knowledge about the issue than Maher because he's at least holding himself to a higher minimum standard by tangling with the likes of Chomsky and Finkelstein in a more academic context on the topic. Maher on the other hand is just a comedian delivering a brief monologue.

Secretly buying up property in the region for years until they had a foothold to take over for starters.
The Zionists basically did what right wingers accuse Muslims of doing in Europe; settling in ethnic enclaves and then setting up a parallel society with its own legal system and paramilitary organization for the purpose of taking over the land and pushing out the indigenous people.

The Zionists basically did what right wingers accuse Muslims of doing in Europe; settling in ethnic enclaves and then setting up a parallel society with its own legal system and paramilitary organization for the purpose of taking over the land and pushing out the indigenous people.
Was the land not controlled by the British?

Not an argument, therefore...
<DisgustingHHH>
I was never trying to argue with you. I was pointing out your idiocy. Like I said I have no dog in this fight.
But since the whole sum of your argument is "Maher is not as smart as he thinks he is!"; it must be your high level of intelligence I cant grasp. My bad.

I was never trying to argue with you. I was pointing out your idiocy. Like I said I have no dog in this fight.
But since the whole sum of your argument is "Maher is not as smart as he thinks he is!"; it must be your high level of intelligence I cant grasp. My bad.
And in attempting so you demonstrated your own.

No I'm not, I'm assuming that based on what I know of Bill Maher.

What do you know?

He's like a friend of mine, a leftist as well. Both very clever but they have tricked themselves into thinking that being clever is a substitute for knowledge and thumb their noses at others despite not being as smart as they think they are.

Ah', okay. He's like a friend of yours...even though you've never met Bill Maher in person...but he's like a friend of yours...

No baseless assumptions going on here at all...

Its a common trait among comedians, they think because they can string together a few quips and make some basic point in some clever manner that suddenly they're the smartest person in the room.

He said, while dissecting a man's intelligence and education on a specific matter, based on some clips he's seen on TV...

Tell me more about what you know about Bill Maher's personal education and incite on this matter, despite knowing absolutely nothing about him, but his TV persona.

What do you know?

Ah', okay. He's like a friend of yours...even though you've never met Bill Maher in person...but he's like a friend of yours...

No baseless assumptions going on here at all...

He said, while dissecting a man's intelligence and education on a specific matter, based on some clips he's seen on TV...

Tell me more about what you know about Bill Maher's personal education and incite on this matter, despite knowing absolutely nothing about him, but his TV persona.
If he has a wealth of knowledge on the conflict he's done a poor job demonstrating it. Maybe he's secretly harboring a nuanced, thoroughly researched argument on the conflict for a documentary but until I hear it I am going to judge him based off what he's said and what he has said has not impressed me all that much.

Maybe you can change my mind, perhaps you've seen him make a detailed, convincing argument on the issue and can point me to it.

And in attempting so you demonstrated your own.
You might want to look over this thread and notice how many people "misinterpreted" your brilliance. I guess you are the only smart one in the room.

Back