"to be the champ you have to beat the champ" is a lie

What's not fair is not definitively winning a title fight as a challenger and getting the benefit of the doubt.

Sean left no doubt as the title challenger.
What is this "as a challenger" bullshit? The rules don't distinguish between champion and challenger.

You can't have that for sports legitimacy. Sometimes your guy loses but you just have to accept it because it's part of the game. Why should it be any different than the rest of the fights?

Now you've crossed a line, pal.

If I see red, you're done for.

I wake up to reality and everything is smeshed.
OK I don't want to be a dick, you have a point, theres a bunch of locals here in South Africa who also support a rematch, me included, that'd be fkn badass.

My worry is what happens if Sean loses again? That won't be good for the dude's career and psychology. Not trying to duck the rematch, I'm also a Sean fan.

Apples. Oranges.

Don't try too hard to be smart.

Completely different.

Winning by a number is factual.

Just like the numbers show Sean won big on strikes.
Should a straight right be worth as much as a jab? If you jab me 40 times but I hit you with 25 power shots is that still 1:1?

What is this "as a challenger" bullshit? The rules don't distinguish between champion and challenger.
They don’t and they shouldn’t. It is against the rules by omission, meaning using it as part of your judgment violates the defined criteria. Giving a fighter an advantage due to something outside of the competition itself should be wholly rejected by anyone that wants any integrity in the sport.

Should a straight right be worth as much as a jab? If you jab me 40 times but I hit you with 25 power shots is that still 1:1?
straight rights should be worth 2 jabs, and 1 jab should be worth 1 jab. Therefore you won via 10 units of jabs. I welcome our AI overlords

So if your sports team wins by a point it's not a real win?
the issue is that fighting is judged, and if we're just going by points via strikes, strickland would have won easily, 4 rounds to 1. Even if you score takedowns very highly, he would have won 3 rounds to 2.

These arguments in favor of explicitly biasing the decision process in favor of the champ are very dumb. If the champ lost by the slightest margin they deserve to lose the belt, being champion means you do better than your opponent, not worse. And if it's a 50/50 toss-up, the champ should have a 50% chance of losing their belt. They should've fought better to have it not be a 50/50 toss-up if they wanted more than a 50% chance of keeping the belt

The champion should be a man or woman that decisively, unquestionably, won a title fight.

Sean Strickland won the title decisively against Izzy. He left no doubt. It was a schooling from beginning to end.

The champion deserves the benefit of the doubt, such as Jones has gotten numerous times in his career, or GSP against Hendricks, etc.

This is extremely sad and Strickland's life will change dramatically without the belt.

You can't be serious.

Strickland is a mid-tier scrub, who was lucky he got to keep the belt warm for 4 months.

In no universe is Strickland "long-standing Champion" material.
Strickland excels at nothing. No left hook, no right across, no power, no submissions.

He plods forward behind the jab, jabbing & parrying, snapping out of front kick to win (or lose) boring decisions.

Du Plessis equals the same thing, except less-polished technique, and a little more power.
Don't worry, Du Plessis will get dethroned soon enough.

Both are merely "gatekeepers" gifted the benefit of a weak division.

Disagree. A win is a win no matter how close or wide. Factors outside the fight itself should have no bearing.

I agree with this, but sometimes find it extremely difficult in practice....like when someone misses weight. I go lookimg for rules that just aren't there.

Rule 24.2(a). No close rounds shall be awarded to the unprofessional fat ass who refused to cut the last 4 lbs

You can't be serious.

Strickland is a mid-tier scrub, who was lucky he got to keep the belt warm for 4 months.

In no universe is Strickland "long-standing Champion" material.
Strickland excels at nothing. No left hook, no right across, no power, no submissions.

He plods forward behind the jab, jabbing & parrying, snapping out of front kick to win (or lose) boring decisions.

Du Plessis equals the same thing, except less-polished technique, and a little more power.
Don't worry, Du Plessis will get dethroned soon enough.

Both are merely "gatekeepers" gifted the benefit of a weak division.
Be sure to bet the house, champ.

Back