Tommy Morrison Dead

Yeah, just like he said. Average chin, but very good recovery ability.

It’s ironic that both had bad chins, both had crazy left hooks, both were usually reckless and both appeared to be at the same stage of their downslope when they met.

I think Donovan was better, but he literally went left hook crazy after Dokes and never looked back. At least Morrison made adjustments and had some pretty respectable outings on occasion. Shame because it seemed like Ruddock had a pretty crisp right hand when he decided to use it.

Yeah, good post.

Ruddock had quite a nice jab, too IIRC to go with a decent straight right but like you said, post-Dokes he was basically a one-armed fighter.

Just noticed this was a bump, I thought Morrison died again for a minute there.
<45><45>same here I saw it yesterday I was like "Did I think he died and I just accidentally killed him off in my head?" Then I saw the bump and it all came back to me.

Tommy wife is all over one of my boxing fb groups about the aids/HIV rumours.

Think she's taking someone to court over it, I'll try find the post if anyone is actually interested.

I met Morrison back in December of 1990 when we were both on a card full of exhibition matches. He boxed four rounds with a guy from DC & I was the opponent for Mark Breland. Anyhow, Morrison was a nice guy who at the time was preparing for his first fight against a name opponent in James "Quick" Tillis. But he was definitely into the whole party scene as he smoked & drank immediately after his exhibition bout was over & he had a lot of girls hanging around him. When I saw him later on that night ringside at the Mike Tyson - Alex Stewart fight he was with an entirely different group of girls than earlier in the day & he was about three sheets to the wind. So, yeah, he lived a wild lifestyle.

It's really too bad that he didn't completely dedicate himself to boxing or he could have gone even farther than he did. But his lapses are what made him so damn exciting. He was in quite a few classic brawls & his power usually bailed him out. The first time it happened was when he fought the tough Russian southpaw, Yuri Vaulin who outboxed him for most of the first four rounds of the contest & was well ahead on the scorecards until Tommy caught him with a hook & took him out. And he thought that he could take anyone he hit out & he pretty much did until he ran into Ray Mercer. He looked like a machine for the first three rounds against him as he battered Mercer from pillar to post. But Mercer had concrete for a head & survived to take a gassed Morrison out in round five.

Gotta give Tommy credit though because a whole lot of fighters would have never recovered from that brutal beatdown. But Morrison did & came back strong to survive tough fights with Joe Hipp & Carl "The Truth" Williams. Which led to his career-best performance in beating Foreman over twelve one-sided rounds. Then came the debacle against Michael Bentt in which he blew a big money fight with Lennox Lewis but taking Bentt lightly after hurting him in the opening round & walking into a big right hand that he never recovered from. Three knockdowns later & it was over.

But Tommy rose from the dead again by knocking out Razor Ruddock & getting the Lewis fight. Unfortunately, Lewis stopped him in six. But he appeared to have a big career still ahead of him & he'd signed with Don King for a series of fights that were supposed to lead to a shot at Tyson. But then came the HIV diagnosis & it was all over for him aside from a few odd bouts against clubfighters scattered over several years.

What a shame. But it was a wild ride while it lasted. One can't help wonder what could have been had he lived a different lifestyle though.

I met Morrison back in December of 1990 when we were both on a card full of exhibition matches. He boxed four rounds with a guy from DC & I was the opponent for Mark Breland. Anyhow, Morrison was a nice guy who at the time was preparing for his first fight against a name opponent in James "Quick" Tillis. But he was definitely into the whole party scene as he smoked & drank immediately after his exhibition bout was over & he had a lot of girls hanging around him. When I saw him later on that night ringside at the Mike Tyson - Alex Stewart fight he was with an entirely different group of girls than earlier in the day & he was about three sheets to the wind. So, yeah, he lived a wild lifestyle.

It's really too bad that he didn't completely dedicate himself to boxing or he could have gone even farther than he did. But his lapses are what made him so damn exciting. He was in quite a few classic brawls & his power usually bailed him out. The first time it happened was when he fought the tough Russian southpaw, Yuri Vaulin who outboxed him for most of the first four rounds of the contest & was well ahead on the scorecards until Tommy caught him with a hook & took him out. And he thought that he could take anyone he hit out & he pretty much did until he ran into Ray Mercer. He looked like a machine for the first three rounds against him as he battered Mercer from pillar to post. But Mercer had concrete for a head & survived to take a gassed Morrison out in round five.

Gotta give Tommy credit though because a whole lot of fighters would have never recovered from that brutal beatdown. But Morrison did & came back strong to survive tough fights with Joe Hipp & Carl "The Truth" Williams. Which led to his career-best performance in beating Foreman over twelve one-sided rounds. Then came the debacle against Michael Bentt in which he blew a big money fight with Lennox Lewis but taking Bentt lightly after hurting him in the opening round & walking into a big right hand that he never recovered from. Three knockdowns later & it was over.

But Tommy rose from the dead again by knocking out Razor Ruddock & getting the Lewis fight. Unfortunately, Lewis stopped him in six. But he appeared to have a big career still ahead of him & he'd signed with Don King for a series of fights that were supposed to lead to a shot at Tyson. But then came the HIV diagnosis & it was all over for him aside from a few odd bouts against clubfighters scattered over several years.

What a shame. But it was a wild ride while it lasted. One can't help wonder what could have been had he lived a different lifestyle though.

Great post and addition of perspective. Thank you.

Back