Tony (2016) vs. Todays Top 15

Tony beats them all. Maybe SSJ olives can take him

FerGOATson bless
200w.gif

His loss against Justin is one of the more painful things happened. Only later I found that he had serious mental issues, almost got divorced, thought FBI is in his walls lost his team. It all made sense because there is not one thing (maybe one, leg kicks) that Justin does better than Tony. It was really weird to watch the shell of Tony that fought all those years before.

It is my firm belief that he would kill Justin in his prime, would have a war with Dustin because they both get sucked into firefights, would defeat Chandler because od Chandlers IQ and chin. Would give great fights to Islam and Charles also, much better than he can now. So yeah, pretty solid. Would be top 5 fighter easily, unlike top 20 where he is now.

Loses to Charles who has become the same type of chaos fighter as Tony was but with better control over the chaos and way better ground skills.

Dustin and Gaethje are coin flips, could go either way. The Gaethje that beat Tony was Justin's best fight ever, Tony wasn't at his best obviously. Peak Dustin vs. peak Tony is a back-and-forth wild ride, who knows how it ends.

Kills Chandler, in fact he probably kills Chandler today if not for that front kick

Problem overall is there are too many great grapplers coming up in the top 15 which would give even prime Tony trouble due to stylistic matchup. So I don't think prime Tony would have as long of a win streak in today's 155.

I think he could beat all of them on any given night, but also possibly lose to all of them on any given night too. Today's top 10 at 155 is extremely stacked with talent. However Tony's creativity and unpredictability in his prime, combined with above average skills in basically every area of MMA along with elite cardio and killer finishing instinct, gave him a pretty good chance against any 155er on the planet.

I disagree with most people who confidently think Oliveira would beat him. We've never seen Charles fight for over 3 rounds. Historically, he's lost when fights go into deeper waters...which is exactly where Tony excelled. Prime Tony was like a zombie, who got stronger as the fight wore on and he got more bloody. And he was all but impossible to finish. It's hard fight to call, but if I had to predict, I'd say Tony finishes Charles in the championship rounds, probably submitting a gassed or overly aggressive Charles who makes a strategic mistake on the ground. Or possibly via UD by winning the last 3 rounds. In 42 fights, Charles only has 3 wins by decision.

Prime Tony could be top 10 today. I'd pick 2016 Tony over Dariush, or old man RDA.

Finishes all them in the same night

I disagree with most people who confidently think Oliveira would beat him. We've never seen Charles fight for over 3 rounds. Historically, he's lost when fights go into deeper waters...which is exactly where Tony excelled. Prime Tony was like a zombie, who got stronger as the fight wore on and he got more bloody. And he was all but impossible to finish. It's hard fight to call, but if I had to predict, I'd say Tony finishes Charles in the championship rounds, probably submitting a gassed or overly aggressive Charles who makes a strategic mistake on the ground. Or possibly via UD by winning the last 3 rounds. In 42 fights, Charles only has 3 wins by decision.
SSJ Oliveira is the closest thing to prime Tony Ferguson we have at this point.

SSJ Oliveira is the closest thing to prime Tony Ferguson we have at this point.
That may be true. My point is that prime vs. prime, we know Tony had a 5-round gas tank and excelled at both winning and finishing opponents in the later rounds. We also know how hard he is to finish. Prime Charles couldn't finish a washed, 37-year old Tony. And Charles has never gone over 3 rounds. Add those facts together, and I'm not sure sure Charles would beat him as many others say.

I think he'd lose to Charles and Dustin, beat Gaethje and Chandler in fun bloody fight of the year type wars

I think he'd lose to Islam like he did to Dariush even with Tony in his prime, the bloody elbows from the bottom wouldn't be enough although we'd have sherdog threads that it should be

2016 Tony vs 2022 Dariush, I think Tony manages to win off his back with some wild sub even though Dariush has all the BJJ background to defend that. I just think he'd manage to pull something out of his ass for that

I think Oliviera and Islam beat him. Poirier can go either way. Based on his last fight, he beats Chandler and Gaethje.

Prime Tony could be top 10 today. I'd pick 2016 Tony over Dariush, or old man RDA.
Well he beat RDA when both were in their primes, so...

Back