Tony (2016) vs. Todays Top 15

Dang good one. I think Tony would be competitive with a lot of them but some of these young super talented guys might be able to negotiate the pocket sand... I kinda agree with other posters that 2016 Ferg does beat some of the old guard.

I would favor 2016 Tony over a bit less than half of the top 15, I don't think he would be ranked as highly as he was in his prime, I think he would lose to about 9 of the top 16(UFC top 15+champ) The issue IMO is there's a lot more very good grapplers in the top 15 right now than there might have ever been.

He would have lost to all of them, though competitively.

Not including the RDA win, Tony was scraping by plenty of low level or washed fighters in his prime.

Kills Chandler, in fact he probably kills Chandler today if not for that front kick

I don't agree with this overly much except for this part. IMO Tony's knockdown against Chandler was overvalued. The momentum of the first round had already turned in Michael's favor by the end of it and even without that front kick I didn't see anything to suggest Tony could take it back or prevent Chandler from going back to the well with takedowns and ground control. It probably would've been a 29-28 Decision IMO.

Gotta go back to this thread to say that Prime Tony definitely beats the Oliveira that showed up last week

Back