Torn ACL, what can I do to keep my skills up?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Been training grappling for probably 14 years now. I finally caught the dreaded acl injury.

anything I can do to stay up
On my skills? Has anyone found a brace that will isolate and protect the knee enough to do any training?

advice? I’m beyond bummed about this injury.

im waiting on a surgery date and doing physical therapy but trying to do something useful in the meantime

Been training grappling for probably 14 years now. I finally caught the dreaded acl injury.

anything I can do to stay up
On my skills? Has anyone found a brace that will isolate and protect the knee enough to do any training?

advice? I’m beyond bummed about this injury.

im waiting on a surgery date and doing physical therapy but trying to do something useful in the meantime

Just study instructionals and rehab it properly. Danaher it up for a bit if you have been training so long and do some coaching.

I would still train positional stuff if it's pre surgery. My previous knee surgery (nothing ligament related) they just told me they would fix whatever I broke when they went in.

I don't think I would even bother with ACL surgery at this point in my life if mine went. Plenty of people get by without them, but it would depend on how unstable things were.

Interesting I didn’t know no ACL was an option?
Seems to be conflicting schools of thought on it but worth discussing with your physical therapist and potential surgeon as to your individual case.

I had one in my right knee from before I ever did BJJ I never got surgery on but have ended up having two meniscus ops and cortisone injections on it during the time I've been grappling. I think it's possible to not do it and have no long-term issues based on some things I've read over the years with the right PT program even if that hasn't been true in my case and I seemed to have a lot of associated issues with the knee.

Interesting I didn’t know no ACL was an option?

Speak to a good sports physio, preferably one that trains BJJ.
Give BJJ athletes without ACLs a google. There is a heap of info and well known guys who do it.

I am not a doctor but just gave my opinion as a recreational BJJ athlete and what I would do.
If I was younger I would get the surgery, but I know of plenty of guys who just got super strong legs instead and that would be my strategy.

Im in my early 40s for info. At this point it just feels terrible so I’m not sure how I would do without it. Maybe when it recovers I can evaluate

Teach, I injured my LCL and I was out for 6 weeks. So I offered to teach (I am a blackbelt), translating moves I see into my head into good instruction really helped.

A lot of my students asked me about LegLocks and tbh I was very bad at them. But when I was teaching it I noticed I got better (lots of BJJ fanatics helped me teach).

I did 3 tournaments after 60% submission rate, all leg locks

Hang in there mate, i did mine a bit under 3 months ago - i feel your pain.

i've been doing the rehab and it's getting better all the time. Feels ok, definitely not 100%, but not too bad either. However everyone is going to be different and you should do what's right for you. I spoke to a physio and 2 surgeons who all steered me toward rehab over surgery. I'm 43 - so same age bracket as you.

I've just been focusing on being consistent in the gym for the rehab and watching some instructionals. At the start i'd come in to training and hang out on the mat and watch - just to keep my head in the right place. I've also been jumping on the mat at judo and helping out with the kids class.

Recently i've been able to participate a little bit in bjj and judo again, just working on drilling - as long as it's not something that puts my knee at risk. Had a flow roll with one of the girls, that sort of thing. It feels like it's heading in the right direction but i'm no rush to get over confident and make it worse.

I bought myself this brace:

https://www.bodyheal.com.au/product...0TwBQKCbRC6HhE_deS7zz4x3y_r-9ZmwaAmfhEALw_wcB

it's pretty good, definitely feel better with it on.

Thanks brother I’ll check on that brace. Fully torn and no surgery? This is swaying me hmmmm

Thanks brother I’ll check on that brace. Fully torn and no surgery? This is swaying me hmmmm

FWIW - another dude i train with did the same thing, full ACL tear and no surgery. He is rolling again after 6 months. Both he and I had no other damage to the knee, which i think is probably an important factor.

Just posted 3 hours ago, might be relevant to you

Nicky Ryan tore his acl before last adcc and never got it fixed. He even claims to never have done any rehab for it really. The starting strength guys say if your hamstrings are strong enough you can get by without an acl

Back