Television True Detective: Night Country- Season 4

I really like it so far.

The premise of True Detective has always been movie stars + HBO production + unusual plots. S4 is delivering.

It is also remaining consistent to previous seasons in that the vast majority of characters are complete and total assholes.

I am hooked in to watch the entire thing.

I don't remember S1 very well and so thanks to the posters who pointed out the links between this series and S1.

So Danvers had a family that died in a car accident (hit by drunk?) and the driver of the other car, a local was killed as well and that left behind Leah whom Danvers took in as her child and they have a fucked up grief bond? I think the ice skid scene and some others allude to this.

Maybe the driver that killed her family being local explains Danver's disdain/racism for the locals.
Danvers has disdain for everyone, lol

Danvers has disdain for everyone, lol
she has a special place in her black heart for hating inuit culture and gets more upset at Leah getting the face drawing than her recording underage sex.

probably because one maybe killed her family.

Most confused by Prior and Danvers relationship as it seems much closer than a mentorship. Maybe because it pisses off hank that she's close to him and it's a competitive thing?

Maybe Danvers still has a little soft spot for young people and attempting to guide them.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for it to end or hear great buzz to get going. I dont mind waiting and I prefer watching shows in Its entirety, but are the reviews so far mixed?
Btw, I'm not reading the thread for spoilers but one I'll ask is something that was on the google front page about this being a direct prequel to season 1. Is that true

So Danvers had a family that died in a car accident (hit by drunk?) and the driver of the other car, a local was killed as well and that left behind Leah whom Danvers took in as her child and they have a fucked up grief bond? I think the ice skid scene and some others allude to this.

Maybe the driver that killed her family being local explains Danver's disdain/racism for the locals.

Lol are you even watching this or just defending it blindly? It’s pretty clear who Leah is to Danvers.

Most confused by Prior and Danvers relationship as it seems much closer than a mentorship. Maybe because it pisses off hank that she's close to him and it's a competitive thing?

Maybe Danvers still has a little soft spot for young people and attempting to guide them.

I think he's just the only one willing to put up with her shit.

Btw, I'm not reading the thread for spoilers but one I'll ask is something that was on the google front page about this being a direct prequel to season 1. Is that true
I don't see how that would be true. Season one takes place in three time periods; 1995, 2002, and 2012. I may have missed it but I don't think a year has been confirmed but based off the cell phones, I think it has to be after 2012.

Did not like ep 1 but this second episode was really good. This is true detective.

I like the small town set up, most of the characters are pretty good, jodie foster is great. That wokeish character is a weak point for sure but I mostly ignore her.

It's actually more impressive considering how saturated the market has become. S1 did not have to face the same market this season is.

Kind interesting someone would purposely put bad numbers on wiki. Kind of shows the strange animosity it's faced and how much people are hoping it fails.
Doesn't appear so. It's commanding a far smaller representation of total viewers on the platform. HBO Max was already up to over 97m global subscribers in Q1 2023, but more specifically, as markets are localized, the US had over 50m subscribers. HBO Now, the predecessor to Max, only had 800K subscribers in 2015, when S2 came out, and as far as total HBO subscribers, since streaming apps weren't as matured, then, it was 31m in the US. If adjusted, this means the second season would have piloted over 5m viewers, proportionally.

There might be more total streaming services, but last year, Disney's The Mandalorian was putting up numbers consistent with cable/streaming services in the early 2010's when figures were peaking with The Walking Dead. Extrapolating from total minutes streamed, which is what Disney shares, episodes were reeling in well over 10m viewers. Same goes for Yellowstone despite also being on a premium service.

We'll see. There's nothing else of note on television right now. They released it in a vacuum. But I'm still surprised it notched over 2m viewers.

Settle down. Yeah, he can choose not to watch, almost nobody is.

Riding the wave of Season 1's greatness the second season's pilot had 3.17m viewers on HBO. Probably at least another 5x that many pirated it (it trailed on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead in demand expressions and on year-end piracy charts that year).

Last week's pilot had 0.56m viewers, and I doubt more than double that pirated it.
I'm settled down, quite comfortably. I'm just saying. It's a choice. No need to make it bigger than it is.

At the end it's in your hands and a decision to get ragy about it or not.

It's okay, I will watch but I can't imagine anyone writing/filming this and thinking this is it, it's a hit.

They are never going to recapture the magic of season 1 again. Lightning struck.

It's okay, I will watch but I can't imagine anyone writing/filming this and thinking this is it, it's a hit.

They are never going to recapture the magic of season 1 again. Lightning struck.
Yeah it's going to be impossible to match Harrelson/Mcconaughey but these series can be good as long as people aren't constantly trying to compare/match up with S1.

Doesn't appear so. It's commanding a far smaller representation of total viewers on the platform. HBO Max was already up to over 97m global subscribers in Q1 2023, but more specifically, as markets are localized, the US had over 50m subscribers. HBO Now, the predecessor to Max, only had 800K subscribers in 2015, when S2 came out, and as far as total HBO subscribers, since streaming apps weren't as matured, then, it was 31m in the US. If adjusted, this means the second season would have piloted over 5m viewers, proportionally.

There might be more total streaming services, but last year, Disney's The Mandalorian was putting up numbers consistent with cable/streaming services in the early 2010's when figures were peaking with The Walking Dead. Extrapolating from total minutes streamed, which is what Disney shares, episodes were reeling in well over 10m viewers. Same goes for Yellowstone despite also being on a premium service.

We'll see. There's nothing else of note on television right now. They released it in a vacuum. But I'm still surprised it notched over 2m viewers.

It doesn't command as much of the platform because the platform has more then doubled the amount of content it offers. "Max features 35,000-plus hours of content, more than doubling the lineup over HBO Max." probably 3x or 4x as much as hbo now had.

Last night's episode was up 28% from an already good showing.

The delayed viewing numbers are great as well. " According to Warner Bros. Discovery, in the week since its debut, Episode 1 has risen from 2 million to 7.5 million viewers across all platforms."

By any measure the show is a success ratings wise and climbing.

Last edited:
Finally caught up on it

Intriguing to say the least

Back