Television TV Show Thread

Amazon's LORD OF THE RINGS Series Enlists Jurassic World Filmmaker J.A. Bayona

6CZ8pU1.jpg

Amazon's Lord of the Rings series is bringing Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom filmmaker J.A. Bayona to Middle-earth. Bayona will direct the first two episodes of the fantasy series based on J. R. R. Tolkien's novels, and he will serve as an executive producer, alongside partner Belén Atienza.

“J.R.R. Tolkien created one of the most extraordinary and inspiring stories of all time, and as a lifelong fan it is an honor and a joy to join this amazing team,” Bayona said in a statement. “I can’t wait to take audiences around the world back to Middle-earth and have them discover the wonders of the Second Age, with a never-before-seen story.”

Bayona's Fallen Kingdom earned more than $1.3 billion at the box office last year. He came onto the scene with his debut feature TheOrphanage, the 2007 horror film produced by Guillermo Del Toro, and he went on to direct 2012's The Impossible and 2016's A Monster Calls.

In 2017, Amazon beat out Netflix for a $250 million Lord of the Rings rights deal with the Tolkien estate, publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema that includes a five-season commitment for the series. Peter Jackson directed three Lord of the Rings films, which were released from 2001-2003 and earned more than $2.9 billion globally.

“The scope and breadth of J.A.’s world-building is exactly the right fit for our ambitions for The Lord of the Rings. He’s a passionate and collaborative director who has brought new stories to life with his multitalented producing partner, Belén," Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke said in a statement. “We are all excited for them to join our writers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, and we can’t think of a better way to begin this journey to Middle-earth.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ts-jurassic-world-filmmaker-ja-bayona-1222499

I'm still not sold on the concept of Yennefer being half-Indian, but I'm open to it.

But Ciri..... um.... isn't she supposed to be around her mid-teens? She looks older than the actress playing Yen.

Who cares if she's half Indian? She looks good and is fine for the role. Ciri needed to be older too if they want to play adult themes a little more which I'm sure they do.

AKIRA Anime Series in the Works from Creator Katsuhiro Otomo

tyCEEcp.jpg

Akira director Katsuhiro Otomo will direct a new anime series that will be a continuation of the steampunk cult classic that made his name.

Otomo, who also created the original Akira manga, announced the news during a panel at the Anime Expo in Los Angeles. The series will be produced by Bandai Namco's Sunrise, although few other details were unveiled.

He also unveiled that he will direct Orbital Era, his third anime feature. Otomo is also writing and directing Orbital Era, set "in the near future on a space colony under construction," according to the project's website. It will be, "an action-adventure story of some boys in this peculiar environment and society who keep living their lives while they're being tossed about by fate."

The feature, also with Sunrise, will only be Otomo's third, including 2004's Steamboy, which took him 10 years to finish.

A 4K remastering of the groundbreaking 1988 feature Akira will also be released in Japan in April 2020, it was announced. When the post-apocalyptic story of juvenile delinquent bikers, set in 2019, was released, it was the most expensive anime produced at the time, costing around $9 million (¥1.1 billion). It is widely hailed as a classic of the genre, has been a huge influence on creators since and helped to popularize anime outside Japan.

There will also be a Complete Works collection, curated by Otomo, chronicling his career since 1971, released by Akira publisher Kodansha.

After many years of delays, false starts and personnel changes, a live-action Hollywood remake of Akira directed by Taika Waititi is set for release in May 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/akira-anime-series-works-director-katsuhiro-otomo-1222674

Checked out FINAL SPACE and found it to be awesome. It's like Futurama but less irritating. It's funny and the sci-fi aspect is pretty good also. But the biggest surprise is how powerful the dramatic scenes were. Highly recommended.

George R.R. Martin Reveals New Facts on HBO's GAME OF THRONES Prequel

Fs0fYq0.jpg

EW recently spoke to author and executive producer George R.R. Martin about showrunner Jane Goldman’s pilot, which is currently filming in Northern Ireland. HBO and Martin have previously revealed the show takes place roughly 5,000 years before the events in Game of Thrones, when Westeros was a very different place, and leads up to an epic confrontation with the White Walkers known as The Long Night. Since some fans have been concerned that the show is pre-Targaryen (and therefore pre-dragon), we asked Martin what are some families and creatures that are around during this time period.

Martin gave some intriguing hints about the state of Westeros during this time period, and even noted a possible new title:

1. Westeros is divided into roughly 100 kingdoms in the prequel. “We talk about the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros; there were Seven Kingdoms at the time of Aegon’s Conquest,” Martin says. “But if you go back further then there are nine kingdoms, and 12 kingdoms, and eventually you get back to where there are a hundred kingdoms — petty kingdoms — and that’s the era we’re talking about here.” The Seven Kingdoms maintained some degree of order (at least, until war broke out). So it sounds like Westeros could be even more dangerous and chaotic and lawless than it is in GoT — like Wild West Westeros.

2. There are Starks and direwolves. The pack survives. This should be obvious given the time period (the Starks were descended from the First Men), but in case there was any doubt Martin confirms the fan-favorite family is around. “The Starks will definitely be there,” he said. And while much has been made about the fact the prequel predates dragons, that doesn’t mean there won’t be other creatures. “Obviously the White Walkers are here — or as they’re called in my books, The Others — and that will be an aspect of it,” Martin says. “There are things like direwolves and mammoths.”

3. There will not be any Lannisters — at least not at first… The prequel predates the rise of the Lannister family, Martin says. But there is another family currently residing in the future Lannister homestead. “The Lannisters aren’t there yet, but Castlery Rock is certainly there; it’s like the Rock of Gibraltar,” he says. “It’s actually occupied by the Casterlys — for whom it’s still named after in the time of Game of Thrones.” The Casterlys were supposedly swindled from their homestead by Lann the Clever — who founded House Lannister — though it’s unclear if this tale will be told in the prequel.

4. It’s a true ensemble. HBO’s cast breakdown appeared to suggest the show might be led by a trio of female leads (Naomi Watts, Naomi Ackie, and Denise Gough). Asked about this, Martin said the prequel — like Game of Thrones — is more accurately described as an ensemble story. “I hesitate to use the word ‘lead,’” Martin says. “As you know for Game of Thrones, we never even nominated anybody for lead actress or lead actor [during awards season] until recently; it was always for supporting [categories] because the show is such an ensemble. I think that will be true for this show too. We don’t have leads so much as a large ensemble cast.”

5. The show might get a slightly different title than the one you’re expecting. The prequel is still officially untitled, Martin emphasizes. In the past, the author has suggested the title The Long Night. One behind-the-scenes factor that complicated this choice is that the third episode of Game of Thrones season 8 is also titled “The Long Night.” While The Long Night remains Martin’s preferred title, there is another similar possibility being considered. “I heard a suggestion that it could be called The Longest Night, which is a variant I wouldn’t mind,” he says. “That would be pretty good.”

While Martin has many projects in the works, including the prequel pilot, he notes he’s currently only writing one thing: The sixth Ice and Fire novel The Winds of Winter.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/09/george-r-r-martin-game-of-thrones-prequel-facts/

I feel like my life has been a lie.

I never knew "The night of" was based on a British show 10 years earlier. Wtf.

JACK REACHER TV Series from Scorpion Creator in the Works at Amazon

OsC0S2e.jpg

Amazon is developing a series based on the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child in what could lead to a potentially big franchise for the tech giant's Prime Video platform.

The streamer landed the rights after competitive bidding. The project is in development under a script-to-series deal, with Scorpion creator Nick Santora set to adapt the books — which have sold more than 100 million copies and been translated into 49 languages — about a military veteran who lives a nomadic life as a freelance investigator and problem-solver.

Amazon Studios will produce along with Skydance Television and Paramount Television. The three companies are also behind Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, another Amazon drama based on a best-selling series of novels.

Child's series has been adapted for two movies starring Tom Cruise, 2012's Jack Reacher and 2016's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote and directed the first film and was a producer on the sequel, is among the executive producers on the Amazon project.

Santora — who also is attached to two series for the shortform streamer Quibi — will serve as showrunner and exec produce with Child, Don Granger and McQuarrie. Skydance's David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross are also exec producers. Carolyn Harris is overseeing the project for Skydance.

The Jack Reacher project is the latest potential series based on a book series to land at Amazon. Prime Video's longest-running original show, Bosch, is based on Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels, and Jack Ryan has been renewed for a third season well ahead of its (as yet unscheduled) season two premiere.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jack-reacher-tv-series-works-at-amazon-1224429

So I gave Euphoria asshot. Zdndaya is fucking annoying, but Sydney Sweeney has one of the best set of bewbs I've seen in a TV show. The overall story is nothing special but good enough to keep me interested.

You gave Euphoria asshot?

A.P. BIO Revived for Season 3 on NBCUniversal's Streaming Service

TpaMRKx.jpg

NBC's currently unnamed streaming service has its first scripted comedy — and it's a familiar one. Lorne Michaels-produced single-camera comedy A.P. Bio has been revived for a third season as the streaming platform's first half-hour original.

The news comes more than a month after NBC canceled the comedy about a disgraced philosophy professor-turned-high school comedy after a two-season run. Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt star in the comedy from exec producers Michaels, Seth Meyers and showrunner Mike O'Brien.

"I’m so overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from the fans,” O'Brien said. “The cast and I are thrilled that we get to make more and I’m excited to work with the NBCU streaming platform.”

Sources say execs within the NBCU fold — the series also is produced in-house via Michaels' Universal Television-based Broadway Video banner — were high on the comedy and the cast was also eager to return to the series. Universal TV will now have to ink the stars to new deals after their options all expired in June. O'Brien, who has a long-standing relationship with Michaels dating back to his time on SNL, bemoaned the cancellation in a pair of heartfelt tweets in late May in which he said A.P. Bio was his "favorite project" of his life and that the show was just hitting its stride.

Still, the midseason entry was never a ratings breakout for the broadcast network. Season two tumbled 27 percent and averaged a 0.7 in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic and a mere 884,000 total viewers. The surprise pickup arrives as NBCU execs look to capitalize on the show's strong digital performance. The pilot of the comedy, which originally aired in February 2018 to a 0.8 in the demo, now sits at a 5.6 after 100 days of delayed viewing.

The series is also strong digitally with the 18-34 demo. Season one of the series was NBC's most digital-skewing show of the 2017-18 season, with 35 percent of its 18-49 audience coming from digital platforms. In season two, A.P. Bio generated 47 percent of its 35-day demo rating from digital platforms and ranked behind only Brooklyn Nine-Nine on its platforms.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...son-3-nbcuniversals-streaming-service-1224478

A War is Brewing in the Full Trailer for HBO's Fantasy Series HIS DARK MATERIALS

HBO and BBC presents His Dark Materials, a new original series based on the global bestseller, premiering this fall.

it is with a heavy heart that i say

the new season or Archer fucking sucks.

every character is just a watered down, bland version of themselves.

i dont get it. i dont get what they were thinking putting this out.

Watch the First Official Trailer for THE WITCHER Starring Henry Cavill

Dr. Manhattan Appears in New Comic-Con Trailer for HBO's WATCHMEN

From Damon Lindelof and set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws, this drama series embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel of the same name while attempting to break new ground of its own.

5-Minute Comic-Con Trailer for Amazon's THE EXPANSE Previews Season 4

Back