Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
He had a great night out. Francis won 3 and 7. He threw 6 punches in championship rds. Anybody who said he won has ass burgers.

Fury out boxed him over 10rds. Not a great look for boxing.

I was looking at a graph someone else made showing Ngannou had 4 definite rounds with a drop while Tyson had 2 definite rounds. The other four were grey area with one being slightly Ngannou favored and the other three slightly Fury favored.

I thought Ngannou looked pretty good tbh. Good fundamentals, good timing and sense of distance. He even had a decent jab from southpaw.
His timing looked good, but his average for the fight was only like 2 jabs per round. He wasn't really slipping anything or managing distance, he would just throw back whenever Tyson threw anything at him and had more of a "take one to give one" approach.

Fury was very low output himself. He threw fewer total punches than he normally does jabs alone.

Good high level fights usually look like 1 or both guys throwing around 25-40 jabs/round with a comparatively low percentage landing, and power punches landing at a higher rate once they find the jab. There's definitely exceptions to that ratio for fire fights like Fury/Wilder 3 that had like 5 knockdowns, but even that had like 55 or 60 punches thrown per round between the 2 of them, and higher level fights are usually closer to 80 per round. This one was like 40 total strikes thrown per round, pretty much the same in punches thrown with Tyson landing a higher percentage and Francis throwing harder.

Could chalk it up to Francis having tape on Fury and Fury having no tape to even make a strategy, but it's definitely weird for both guys to equal output when it's that low. I say that because the other fight with weird numbers was Floyd/Conor. Floyd only threw 5-10 total punches per round for the first 3, then jumped way up to like 30-70 after that and like 80% of them were power punches.

False binary argument there.

Among many other possibilities is a champ with years of documented mental health and addiction struggles, simply turned up dusty and ill prepared, possibly not in his best mindframe and put in an awful performance vs a big talented guy who gave the effort of his lifetime.

Possibly. I noticed before the fight that he looked even worse than normal physically and said even if it was enough to beat Ngannou, he didn't look fit enough for a fight with Usyk.

Don't think you'll find many fights at heavyweight in this era with box guys throwing that much per round
Usyk/Joshua was 1210 punches thrown in 12 rounds, Fury/Chisora was 760 in 10 rounds, Fury/whyte was 415 in 6 rounds, Ruiz/Joshua was around 650 in 12 rounds. Pretty rare for neither guy to get even close to 300 punches in a decision.

Usyk/Joshua was 1210 punches thrown in 12 rounds, Fury/Chisora was 760 in 10 rounds, Fury/whyte was 415 in 6 rounds, Ruiz/Joshua was around 650 in 12 rounds. Pretty rare for neither guy to get even close to 300 punches in a decision.
Oh I typo'd originally. I meant to type "with both guys throwing that much per round". Don't get fights at heavyweight anymore with both guys jabbing that much per round, if someone's jabbing that much they're probably dominating.

Good high level fights usually look like 1 or both guys throwing around 25-40 jabs/round with a comparatively low percentage landing, and power punches landing at a higher rate once they find the jab. There's definitely exceptions to that ratio for fire fights like Fury/Wilder 3 that had like 5 knockdowns, but even that had like 55 or 60 punches thrown per round between the 2 of them, and higher level fights are usually closer to 80 per round. This one was like 40 total strikes thrown per round, pretty much the same in punches thrown with Tyson landing a higher percentage and Francis throwing harder.

All props to Francis and disappointment for Fury, but this fight just looked very low level. It didn't look like a fight between two world level fighters to me. It's better than I expected out of Francis, but from Fury, what the hell. Now it makes sense why he's been avoiding Usyk, but it's very telling that a guy like him is the champ in modern boxing.

I am now fully convinced that old time fighters were better and that technique has regressed. Joe Louis would starch all of these guys now. Hell it looked like even Mike Tyson could come out of retirement right now and give these guys a run for their money. Slow ass Francis gave Fury all he could handle and Mike is still levels faster than Francis at his age.

All props to Francis and disappointment for Fury, but this fight just looked very low level. It didn't look like a fight between two world level fighters to me. It's better than I expected out of Francis, but from Fury, what the hell. Now it makes sense why he's been avoiding Usyk, but it's very telling that a guy like him is the champ in modern boxing.

I am now fully convinced that old time fighters were better and that technique has regressed. Joe Louis would starch all of these guys now. Hell it looked like even Mike Tyson could come out of retirement right now and give these guys a run for their money. Slow ass Francis gave Fury all he could handle and Mike is still levels faster than Francis at his age.

It's one bad fight. I know what I saw in the Wilder trilogy and it was of the highest quality.

I agree this latest was an awful showing. I just disagree with your reasoning for why.

Yes and like I said attempting to win the “fight” was not necessary or incentivised enough for Fury to go for it given the rules so the “fight” is not what people think it is.

It’s like if someone scored a hole in one then a bunch of bogeys, they win the “hole in one contest” against the guy who beats them with birdies. But it’s not a hole in one contest so it’s basically irrelevant.

that's my point. i dunno why you are explaining it to me.

Oh I typo'd originally. I meant to type "with both guys throwing that much per round". Don't get fights at heavyweight anymore with both guys jabbing that much per round, if someone's jabbing that much they're probably dominating.
Yeah, there's normally at least a 100 strike difference between the 2 fighters. It all varies between a dominant win with a guy throwing tons of jabs and power punches picking up as he finds the spacing and the jabs start landing, there's Conor/Floyd, where he threw almost nothing for several rounds and let Conor show him the spacing by throwing all the punches, then ramp it up with high volume power punches until you get him out of there, or just head hunting that's most often guys who've fought before and skip the spacing to throw high volume of power punches.

None of these variations are neither guy throwing much of anything. The volume in this fight is closer to Ngannou/Lewis, which is almost universally seen as a stinker, than it is to any of the other high level fights. With the exception of the one moment in the 3rd of Francis landing a counter that sat Fury down, it was just a low level fight the whole rest of the time. If it was Usyk instead of Ngannou, and the fight went exactly the same, it would have been considered a disaster and they'd probably rematch and sell about 8 PPVs, but because the expectations for Ngannou were for him to get stomped out quickly, the same snoozer that would have been PPV poison for anyone else somehow increased his value and ability to look for another opponent.

Back