• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
Francis probably made more in this last fight than his entire career up to that point, and will make just as much with his next boxing purse.

There is NO DOUBT that this was the correct move business wise. He and his family are now set for multiple generations.

I mean Maligaggi took a beating from Conor McGregor in sparring. Malinaggi is a legit top 10 boxer, Conor was a UFC fighter. N'Gannou wanted to be a boxer when he escaped his home country for Europe. He has been training in boxing for years. He likely has good fundamentals in boxing. Add to that he's a strong guy who has fought at the elite level in MMA and been the world champion. It's definitely not a case of him being some amateur coming into boxing. The guy has been doing it in one form or the other for years.

The funny thing is due to the public perception of both MMA and boxing regardless of how his next boxing matches go, ngannou has put himself in the books forever.

So he hasn't just made the big $$$ but now he will never be a niche star again. He actually made it.

Frank has 12 kos in 17 wins.. wilder has dropped and stopped everyone minus fury and he still has dropped him 4 times who do you think hits harder?

You do realise that in mma u can also win the fight outright by submission unlike in boxing? Ngannou has 12 KO victories out of 17 with another 4 wins by submission. Only one of hid victories was by decision which must have been when he beat gane with a crippled knee where the mcl and acl were torn so he was basically fighting with one leg.

Context matters and you made your interpretation based on misunderstanding the data...

You do realise that in mma u can also win the fight outright by submission unlike in boxing? Ngannou has 12 KO victories out of 17 with another 4 wins by submission. Only one of hid victories was by decision which must have been when he beat gane with a crippled knee where the mcl and acl were torn so he was basically fighting with one leg.

Context matters and you made your interpretation based on misunderstanding the data...
If he was a great puncher as you said it would be no submission needed. He only has a left hand. Watch those 12 ko and see what hand is used. Straights beat hooks and that's exactly what would happen if they fight.. you need to bully wilder to beat him and frank doesn't fight like that.

His arms are long he needs distance

Wilder hits harder. But Ngannou hits harder than basically everyone else.

Wilder has proven heart. Francis hasn't really overcome adversity, although he did survive the Stipe 1 beating, which should have been stopped. On the other hand, he was admittedly mentally shot from that beating and lost to Derrick Lewis of all people because of it.

Both have cardio exploitation concerns. With Francis in general there are still questions over fading. With Wilder, Fury showed you can make him blame a fucking costume for being tired if you bully him.

Wilder's chin is good but has been cracked. Francis' hasn't. This is a key variable in Francis' favor. But then again we are talking about arguably the GOAT puncher in Wilder so it could simply not matter.

Both have defensive liabilities that the other could make them pay for. But of course, Wilder has beaten every pro boxer not named Fury he has fought. Who is more likely to make a devastating defensive mistake, the 42-3-1 guy or the 0-1 guy?

My gut says Wilder. But I can't be sure. And anyone claiming to be is a fool. That's why it is a great fight that brings crossover appeal.

Wilder has heart but blames a costume for losing?

On heart anndngannou, yoi dont sound familiar with his story. I don't think wilder cna hold a candle next tl the determination shown by ngannou so far - born in poverty in Cameroon and working since a child shovelling sand, then undertakes a dangerous journey across Africa to cross the Mediterranean and enter France illegally to end up living on the street where he was discovered by an mma coach. Throughout it all he only had his dream of becoming a boxer and the physical power and fighting instinct inherited from his streetfifhter father.

He manages to pick up mma in a few short years and begins winning by kos and gets to enter the ufc. When his rise to the top is unexpectedly ended by miocic who exposes weaknesses in his game, his confidence is momentarily shaken. He soon recovers though and makes the difficult decision to part form the coach who gave him hus big break because he knows he needs better coaching to remedy his weaknesses and he finds that in nicksick. He then works on his wrestling and a more patient striking game and he is rewarded by coming back with a string of kos and he beats miocic by dominqting in.every aspect includong even wrestling and wins by a second round ko.

Despite ufc determination not to offer him what he felt he was worth, ngannou holds firm to his convictions and in the lead up to the final fight against gane wirh the ufc obviously setting ngannou up to lose his championship against the most skilful mma striker he has faced yet thus far who is also coached by the same coach he dropped, he suffers a terrible knee injury shortly before the fight that would have meant that he is locked into his contract for another year. But he kmew at 35 his time at the top is running out. So he accepts the risk of ontinuing with the fight and keeping his injury secret and of risking perhaps permanent crippling injury if gane targeted that leg as the best kickboxing mma fighter.

Of course now in hindsight he has played his hand masterfully and now he ie reaping the benefits and on top of the world. But it could all have gone acropper and it took massive courage and self belief to so what he did and what he has continued to do since he left Cameroon.

That is a rocky level story there mate and somebody will probably make a movie out of it one day. An argument can be made as to whether wilder punches harder than him or not (I would argue not and that it doesn't matter anyway because ngannou will more likely counter wilder as he comes in anyway and wilder's chin is nowhere as good as ngannou's) but in terms of heart and strength in the face of adversity, wilder is little league compared to ngannou...

Correct TS. Fury also isn't considered an ATG in boxing while Francis is considered one in MMA. Just thought I'd point this out.

Surely nobody can seriously vote “no” on this now, right?
I've seen enough shills/idiots claim 8mill is the SAME as 10mill here to know they're gonna vote no here.

I don't even need hindsight, Francis and Fury had an understanding before he left the UFC and I said it often here. Only wrinkle was if Fury vs uysk happened first.

No he didn't.

Malignaggi is the type of boxer who could conceivably lose to an MMA fighter in boxing. Cute boxers who abuse holding and not engaging to keep traditional boxers off balance are the only ones that are susceptible in crossover fights.

I'll never forget pros vs Joes when random 200 lbs athletic guys were handling pernell whitaker in the ring, so they sent in arturo Gatti and he brutally KOed all of them. This applies here as well.

Paulie is the size of an 8th grader and had a beer belly and was 40 and McGregor still probably didn't get the best of him but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. But you better believe if McGregor tried to spar like that with an Andre Dirrell he would've gotten creamed.

Fury, Andre ward, mayweather, Hopkins etc. Guys who win in boxing by not fighting and making fights non bouts will continue to struggle and baffle casual fans.

Frank Mir looked solid against Steve Cunningham (about as good as ngannou did against Fury maybe a little worse) and then was brutally executed by Pulev. Skipping going through the ranks and getting one offs with high level guys I think random crossover guys will continue to do decent depending on the fight they get.

UFC did the opposite with Toney and Couture. Imagine in 2007, 2008 when David Haye was cross training and a high level cruiser going to heavyweight if he had crossed over and fought Chuck Liddell? 50/50 fight but doesn't fairly represent the differences in sports.

No. The fighter pay screws up the cards. Nobody worth a damn fights anyone else worth a damn and all we are stuck with is these stupid gimmick fights.

The fighter pay you brag about is the sport's achilles heel.

Ya his time in the UFC is done. But then so is my interest in him.

He made bank. Good on him I guess.

Back