• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
Francis won that fight

This is a huge black eye for boxing

Francis was promoted as a UFC champion

Like it or not the UFC did benefit
{<shrug}
Only that hes not a UFC fighter anymore, they dont have the baddest man on the planet fighting in their promotion.

To make matters worse, their paper champ Jones get injured and now they are gonna have to do an interim title fight with 2 nobodies.

It's a tremendous loss, and I will be waiting for shareholders to start leaning on Endeavour after this.

This event was a massive pop culture cross over.

I was in a hipster area of LA today, the type of place where nobody discusses sports let alone fighting. It was coming up left and right.

You cannot imagine how bad Dana fumbled the bag on this one. The UFC is so unbelievably cheap they often end up short sighted. If they gave Ngannou a reasonable deal, they would have been the co-promoter of this event and have one of the most marketable heavyweights on the planet under contract backing up dump trucks of cash.

War Ngannou. He advocated for himself, stood his ground and secured generational wealth from it. The UFC has these guys in lopsided, unreasonable contracts that pay out pennies on the dollar. This has to change.

In HW boxing, the clinch is a very major aspect that dictates fights.

Wlad Klitshko dominated a decade by grabbing and leaning on opponents. Untill he met Fury who bested him at his own game.
Now Fury met an MMA fighter who was bigger, stronger and far more skilled in grappling.

Fury had no choice but to fight from the outside, and then he ran into a check left hook.

Execs of big, successful companies make bad decisions (including emotional or even petty decisions) all the time.

UFC clearly mishandled the Francis situation and it's glorious to see everything play out as it has with Francis and with the UFC HW title picture.

Ariel might be fired up now...but he will also have some prepared shit talk on Monday lol

Yeah, it does vindicate MMA. An MMA guy with 0 boxing fights took the best HW of the last decade to a split decision in which all the best moments belonged to him. I think that means more than Jake Paul beating up retired former MMA champs, most of whom were career long grapplers.
This. Beating up over-the-hill & injured MMA fighters in your own sport means relatively less.

And don't give me this nonsense about Jake Paul being a clown. He went to a split decision against Tommy Fury who BoxRec has ranked #151 in his division in the world, and #15 in the UK. Just because someone isn't in the Top 10 doesn't mean he's a joke.

Is fury ever in good shape? I mean he's just a big bulky guy. Not like he shows up with Lewis Abs for previous fights, right?

I think boxing was largely finished evolving by the 30s on a technical level because of how big the sport was as a cultural institution. I do consider the 30s to be one of HW boxings golden ages up there with the 70s and 90s for sure.

Evolution in say MMA is based on the idea the sport gets a higher quality of talent as it gains popularity and it becomes more lucrative. Evolution is not just about the mere passage of time.

Will say todays HWs are bigger than not just the 30s but any other era. That doesn't mean they are better at boxing.

EFfDk5JXYAEjt4K.jpg

Both were huge fights that lived up to the hype but McGregor was allowed to box while still with the UFC, where Ngannou was not given this same courtesy.

UFC couldn't lose McGregor, they made the calculated risk that it was worth losing Ngannou to deny the fight.

I don't know man. Maybe. But combat sports don't make sense. By now I have no problem accepting that Gane schools Ngannou in a striking match, Ngannou can beat Fury in boxing, and Fury can beat Gane in MMA. I mean that elbow tonight was nice.
<{hughesimpress}>

Back