UFC 214 - Jones vs Cormier II - Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
he should have just cut off his hair and he would be have made weight an hour ago :D

Ortega cuts weight like he fights. Gets it done at the laaaast minute.

Ortega cuts weight like he fights. Gets it done at the laaaast minute.
200.webp

Why do You think he will win against Moicano ? Just curious ;)

i think he's the only one with a legit chance to finish & the bulk of my action is on ortega no scorecards.

moicano could edge it in a 15 min striking fight. totally possible. but i suspect that will be closer than a lot of people think, too.

i personally had ortega taking rd 2 against guida on the feet -- i'm not saying guida is some amazing striker or anything, but i think people are overselling this "he's always down 2-0!" etc. he showed marked improvement w/his hands in that 2nd and 3rd round.

he doesn't need much time to set up a sub, tho. i think it's a real possibility.

i slightly favor him overall because i think the standup is actually quite close and he's got the sub edge for sure.

moicano should've lost to stephens, too.

line is inflated based on a misconception (IMO) of round 2 of ortega-guida and a bogus split for moicano.

Not sure how you thought Stephens/Moicano was a bogus split decision. 14 play by plays had it for Moicano, 3 for Stephens.

i think he's the only one with a legit chance to finish & the bulk of my action is on ortega no scorecards.

moicano could edge it in a 15 min striking fight. totally possible. but i suspect that will be closer than a lot of people think, too.

i personally had ortega taking rd 2 against guida on the feet -- i'm not saying guida is some amazing striker or anything, but i think people are overselling this "he's always down 2-0!" etc. he showed marked improvement w/his hands in that 2nd and 3rd round.

he doesn't need much time to set up a sub, tho. i think it's a real possibility.

i slightly favor him overall because i think the standup is actually quite close and he's got the sub edge for sure.

moicano should've lost to stephens, too.

line is inflated based on a misconception (IMO) of round 2 of ortega-guida and a bogus split for moicano.

I haven't placed a bet on the fight (yet), but after looking at it more closely it's dog or pass for me. I believe the new scoring system is in effect for this event correct?

I agree if the fight goes the distance we're probably looking at close, or even split, decision. I do give Moicano the slight edge on the feet, but Ortega seems to have an uncanny ability to land big shots and hurt people. With the new scoring system I feel like this could steal rounds that he might otherwise be losing or even get him a 10-8. Ortega also always goes balls to the wall in the third round, while Moicano has a tendency to back up/circle away a lot, especially against Stephens. This usually doesn't play well with the judges. Combine all that with the fact that Ortega is much more likely to get a finish and I can't see playing Moicano at current odds.

Maybe I just talked to myself into a play on Ortega, idk.

Not sure how you thought Stephens/Moicano was a bogus split decision. 14 play by plays had it for Moicano, 3 for Stephens.

Yea, I thought Moicano won but I think his "running" hurt him with the judges and nearly cost him the fight.

I'm kinda feeling a tiny stab on Maia Split/Maj DEC +2425

I haven't placed a bet on the fight (yet), but after looking at it more closely it's dog or pass for me. I believe the new scoring system is in effect for this event correct?

I agree if the fight goes the distance we're probably looking at close, or even split, decision. I do give Moicano the slight edge on the feet, but Ortega seems to have an uncanny ability to land big shots and hurt people. With the new scoring system I feel like this could steal rounds that he might otherwise be losing or even get him a 10-8. Ortega also always goes balls to the wall in the third round, while Moicano has a tendency to back up/circle away a lot, especially against Stephens. This usually doesn't play well with the judges. Combine all that with the fact that Ortega is much more likely to get a finish and I can't see playing Moicano at current odds.

Maybe I just talked to myself into a play on Ortega, idk.

Mociano essentially beat Stephens in a stand-up fight (I know he hit a few timely tds, but could do so here as well) and Stephens is imo a much better striker than Ortega. I loved Mociano at dog odds as T-City has played with fire far too often to still be undefeated and I don't think Mociano is at a big disadvantage should it hit the mat, especially because if it does I expect him to be the one taking it there.

Jimi:

-discusses future fight with boxer david haye possibly in future, but talks gone well so far.
-says volk is ok, climbed up ranks quickly
-predicts a ko when it suits him

Volk:

-concentrates on jimi
-been 6 months only in ufc and now fighting no2 guy
-said he wanted misha, wanted to show he is the best striker in division.
-wants to fight as many times as possible
-still new in ufc so if jimi gets next title shot, wants to finish jimi properly so he can quicker title shot
-he wants his contender spot, so hopefully jj/dc gets done and he's a fan so wants to see it
-says jimi has good pressure and brings opponents to the right place so he can place his power
-going for first round ko

Last edited:
I'm kinda feeling a tiny stab on Maia Split/Maj DEC +2425

Good Lord it will be ugly if this thing goes all 5. Neither guy is built for that LOL.

Can't argue with +2425 though. Might do .1u myself he he

Good Lord it will be ugly if this thing goes all 5. Neither guy is built for that LOL.

Can't argue with +2425 though. Might do .1u myself he he
It's only a 0.04u play, by the way. Basically to win 1 unit

Mociano essentially beat Stephens in a stand-up fight (I know he hit a few timely tds, but could do so here as well) and Stephens is imo a much better striker than Ortega. I loved Mociano at dog odds as T-City has played with fire far too often to still be undefeated and I don't think Mociano is at a big disadvantage should it hit the mat, especially because if it does I expect him to be the one taking it there.

Yea, I agree he did outstrike Stephens but Stephens showed a poor game plan and lack of ability to make adjustments in that fight IMO. The more Moicano circled off, the more he loaded up on his punches and he never looked to cut off the cage.

I'm not saying Ortega will be able to do better, but I do agree with EZ that his striking looked improved against Guida and I have to assume he's been working on it in his time away. He does pack some power as well.

I can definitely see Moicano winning a fairly close decision here, but at -150 I'm not willing to bet on it.

Yea, I agree he did outstrike Stephens but Stephens showed a poor game plan and lack of ability to make adjustments in that fight IMO. The more Moicano circled off, the more he loaded up on his punches and he never looked to cut off the cage.

I'm not saying Ortega will be able to do better, but I do agree with EZ that his striking looked improved against Guida and I have to assume he's been working on it in his time away. He does pack some power as well.

I can definitely see Moicano winning a fairly close decision here, but at -150 I'm not willing to bet on it.

Tbf, when Guida can't mix in his wrestling or his opponent doesn't bite on his feints because they want the td to come (Ortega), then his striking is pretty poor. I just don't see Ortega being able to win a kickboxing fight here and his wrestling isn't good enough to take it into his world. I think Mociano wins a pretty clear dec, but can see the reasons for wanting to play the dog.

I totally agree that if Maia/Twood doesn't end in the first couple rds then 3,4,5 are gonna be ugly af. I haven't played the fight but I just might stab at fight goes distance and a nice longshot exotic like Jae mentioned.

Tbf, when Guida can't mix in his wrestling or his opponent doesn't bite on his feints because they want the td to come (Ortega), then his striking is pretty poor. I just don't see Ortega being able to win a kickboxing fight here and his wrestling isn't good enough to take it into his world. I think Mociano wins a pretty clear dec, but can see the reasons for wanting to play the dog.

Fair points. How big are you on Moicano and what price?

could have been the angle/lighting but i think lawler looked a bit depleted and soft again. he's definitely looked way better.

Fair points. How big are you on Moicano and what price?

4u at -130. In hindsight I wouldve put 2u on his ML and than another 1-2 units on his dec line at + odds, but I jumped the gun.

I am clearly of the belief that the striking isn't going to be all that close.

I did stab Ortega Rd 3 for .2u +1800 in case he manages to pull another trick out of what I expect to be a fairly empty bag at this point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back