UFC 214 - Jones vs Cormier II - Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best interview I've heard since Nick Diaz beat Gomi LOL

"I want to keep climbing that ladder, moving further and further up until I have that belt's wrapped around my waist. And even then I want to keep fightin' em'. Like I said, I do this for fun, it's not because of the money, it's not because of the fame ..I couldn't give a shit less about all of that. ..All that money and fame is great...but that's not why I do it. I will fight anyone in this world for FREE tomorrow, and be happy to do it."

— Jason Knight

In a sport filled with divas who pick and choose their fights, turn down opportunities and make silly demands, it's refreshing to see a throwback like Jason night. The fight any place, anytime, anywhere kind of guy. Who really means it

No one ever seems to recall that EDT is a thing despite the fact that we're in Daylight Time 3/4 of the year.

A few thoughts:

Maia/Woodley is VERY intriguing. I think the most unlikely outcome is Maia DEC, but I could bet on all of them ( I have Maia RR 1/2 just for the value )

Jones all day. But Cormier DEC at +450 has its value too. I can't bet on any of them ITD.

Cyborg KO is a must BUT I see lots of value on RD2/3 or simply O1.5

Lawler gets this but I'm not sure how. Cerrone won't take him down.

Oezdemir is my best dog of the night. Manuwa is not THAT great...Going big. But it seems I'm lonely on this

Lamas ML all day, but also stabbing some on Lamas ITD +320

Very unsure about Barão x Sterling, but it goes the distance 85% of the time

Moicano should get a decision. Ortega capitalized on some guys mistakes, and Moicano seems to be very smart - Brandão was just stupid.

Fili should beat Kattar too. Got some money on him: ML and ITD

Curran has fought better competition than Albu and Albu has never faced better competition. And it is always good to be on female underdogs. A few bets on Curran ML +130 and Curran ITD +600.

Shelton ML and Shelton DEC because of level of competition and past performances, but not ultra confident.

Burkman DEC has good value ( +550 ). I'm very unsure about this, but Dober is not that great to be that huge of a favorite...

It's an old 30 though, 12 years in the game is a long time, he had his time at the top, he's given his best and he got beaten for it. Those beatings he took were bad and they changed him, mentally and physically. USADA might have played a role as well.

Sterling isn't going to give Barao a beating but I think his striking is underrated, look how well he did vs Assuncao and Sterling under performed in that fight. I don't think Sterling needs to gain new skills or improve as much as I think he just needs to fight with more confidence. And he's getting better at doing that. he looked good last fight.

I could totally see Sterling winning a 29-28, Barao just isn't the same guy in the 2nd and 3rd that he is in the 1st. Sterling can keep a pace and I think he kicks his way to a decision. That awkward movement of Sterling could throw Barao off a bit too.

You are riding him off too soon I think. Sure, he had 30 fights, but how many of them in that in the first round? How many of them did he take absolutely no punishment in?

There are various fighters under 32 with + 25 matchups to their name who are still relevant.

Tim Elliot 30 years old 25 fights
Jimmie Rivera 25 years old 28 fights
Edson Barboza 31 years old 28 fights
Joey Benevidez 32 years old 29 fights
Gegard Mousassi 31 years old 48 fights
Demetrious Johnson 30 years old 29 fights

All of them are relevant. Faber had a shit ton of fights up until he retired.

As for Barao, of his 38 career fights, 13 of them ended in round 1st and 4 ended in round 2nd.

No one ever seems to recall that EDT is a thing despite the fact that we're in Daylight Time 3/4 of the year.
I didn't even know the difference, and I bet the majority of Americans don't either. I just see "EST" more often than "EDT" so I use that. The "S" also stands for "Standard" which is confusing

Yes, you are correct, though. We should currently be saying "EDT" instead of "EST"

ortega makes it at the buzzer.. didn't look too weary or drained

Dang really? I thought he looked pretty damn bad. Saying his scale was off, considering cutting his hair off, etc. Those eyes look tired....
20170728111518_05_Ortega.JPG

upload_2017-7-28_17-58-33.jpeg

I know that a coaches job is to hype his fighter up and make him look good in the public, so take this with a grain of bath-salt, but much of what he says is easily verifiable with our own eyes, and common sense.

So Barao has moved from Brazil and Nova Uniao to train stateside, in Arizona at Power MMA with Ryan Bader's team. This is the striking coach of Power MMA you will read...

Barao is around 154, 156 pounds,” Lourenco said. “And when he finishes training, sometimes he hits 150."

Yet, Lourenco sees the Brazilian in better shape compared to his days as UFC champion now that he’s living and training in the United States.

“He’s only focused on training here,” said Lourenco, who’s also the head coach of newly crowned Bellator light heavyweight champion Ryan Bader. “Many people say that training in the United States is different, but it’s not that much. The thing is that you’re completely focused here. It’s possible to do this preparation in Brazil, but many (fighters) think it’s harder because there are more distractions, while you only think about training here."

And to the fans that don’t believe Barao is capable of regaining the bantamweight championship after his recent performances, Lourenco insists.

“He could put on great fights at featherweight, but it would be harder to become champion,” the coach said. “Not that it’s easier at bantamweight, but he was smaller than his opponents at featherweight. At 135, he’s doing a better job managing his weight, not wearing himself out. If he became champion without it, he has more chances now.

“He always had great training in Brazil, but he was always a fighter in the gym, training more than anyone else, but wasn’t an athlete in his daily life, with his diet and all that. When you’re done training here, you’re at home in five minutes to rest, recover and focus. He’s more focused here.

“If fans believed in him when he became champion, I’m sure he has more chances now that he’s more mature as an athlete and as a person. I’m confident that Barao has everything to bring his belt back."

Oh a lot of good information in there, especially him training stateside and having a nutritionist.

I like it Goodfella, Barao is my biggest single play on the card. I think I'm against you on a lot of others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back