UFC 214 - Jones vs Cormier II - Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know the judges in the Woodley/Maia fight?

Dean is pretty quick on the standups or breaking from the clinch.
I remember when he threatened to stand up DHK from mount against that Afghan guy, Bahahzurdadadazada or however you spell it. I was so pissed.

"He wouldn’t elaborate on how much weight he had to cut — “a lot!” — but said it’s the most he’s done in less than three hours."

this sounds like a disaster. no suprise money pouring in on moicano.

I don't think you can call it luck when he consistently comes on strong in the final round. He has 15 minutes and he makes full use of that time. He's a slow starter but I feel like that's part of his strategy, he knows he can outlast his opponent and reserves his energy to pour it on in the 3rd. I mean he out paced Clay Guida in the latter part of round 2 and entire round 3, that's no fluke he's clearly got great cardio. And I re-watched that fight last night and think he would have won 29-28 regardless of that late finish. That was just Rogan creating a narrative and obviously it makes good headlines in the press so the media will run with it.

Moicano looked excellent in the 1st against Stephens but he needed to mix in some takedowns in that fight to get the close decision win and was visibly slowing in the 3rd IMO. I can see him controlling the stand up for the 1st half of the fight but if he starts to slow down then that's where Ortega can really take over. And BJJ black belt or not I don't know whether putting Ortega on his back is the wisest move. We've seen how nasty his elbows from the bottom can be.

Super excited for this match up and can't pick a side yet. I'm probably going Moicano dec and small Ortega rd 3

Yea, what is a bit of both actually. You actually cut off part of my post where I said as much.

My OP I said. ...

"While a lot of it comes down to Ortegas outstanding conditioning and heart, much of it is the folly of his opposition. Terrible fight IQ and strange circumstances "........

Ortega does deserve credit for breaking them down, but he was far from putting a pace on Guida. He wasn't doing hardly anything in the first round, the second stanza was a back-and-forth kick boxing match with neither really pressing the issue. Ultimately, in the third, Ortega stepped on the gas and forced Guide to make a mistake.

But you could see the writing on the wall, and Guida is known for his bonehead fight IQ. You could see him ducking down and reaching for singles and shooting in with no set ups. Throwing lazy naked kicks without strikes or feints. His clunky striking has always been an issue, and often times it just gets him smoked. It's not so much that it happened in the third round as it is that it happened period. Guida's always ripe for the KO.

But he did the same thing with Roger Huerta after dominating the first two rounds. And it wasn't that Guida was tired, that guy can go five rounds with cement shoes on. Guida has terrible striking defense. Lack thereof. He was in the same situation with Huerta excerpt Roger was definitely down to rounds to zero and Guida shot in just like you did Ortega and Huerta left in the air and heating was a flying knee that nearly knocked his chin off.

But like I said, Guida is a mental midget. That's why he's been caught in so many submissions and flatlined. Even Diego Sanchez and his crap striking was laying into Guida. Drilling him with everything he threw. At one point it looked like a fucking hockey match brawl. Guida got kicked from a HHK in that fight that I still don't know how he withstood it LOL

But I'm hijacking my own post. My point is that yes Ortega deserves credit for pushing the pace and getting his guys to tire out so he can get to them late. But at what point does a fighter use their fundamentals and not get washed in the final stanza. I mean, Ortega is really pushing the envelope here. .. he's not giving himself much room to work with for sure.

0.21 R3 (Clay Guida)
0.32 R3 (Thiago Tavares)
1:32 R3 (Diego Brandao)

Brandao is also a mental midget that lets foes snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

This is the first time he's going to be in there with the real technical fighter who isn't going to make unforced errors. Ortega's going to have to take the flight away from the Brazilian involves he is not going to have it handed to him.

Finally, Ortega ABSOLUTELY can win. He's like Nick Diaz 2.0 but an even slower striker. However, I think that he has better MMA BJJ. Like Nick, Ortega gets more comfortable as the fight goes on and by the third round he was stuffing your takedowns and he looks invincible in there. He just needs to get out of second gear before the 12 minute mark.

BOL

@EzFlyer what was your look on Shelton?I am encouraged by the guy who lost split to solid Pantanoja, rather than cans builded record of Brooks?

@EzFlyer what was your look on Shelton?I am encouraged by the guy who lost split to solid Pantanoja, rather than cans builded record of Brooks?

Bingo.

Shelton at these odds all day for me. He was also terrific on Tuf.

Bigger, likely better standup, more notable experience... And he's the dog? Sign me up.

If brooks ends up being an ELITE 125'er with just unreal pace, takedowns, scrambles.. so be it. Might lose. But willing to bet to find out.

I know you're asking him, but Shelton's a lot better than his 10-3 record makes him look. He stood out big time on TUF and possibly could've made it to the DJ fight had the judges let him go to a 3rd round against Elliot.

Can someone sell me on Carneiro? I'm seeing people suddenly talking about him. Weight cutting issues for Ortega aside, what makes him a good pick here?

Also, I strongly think a lot of people are missing opportunity to take Manuwa at sub 200 odds. He's dominated everyone outside the top 3 of LHW. Yeah oezdemir can punch as well as any LHW and he's already taken 2 upsets, but Manuwa is a much better version of him.

Guys take Cormier, he is the dog and on top of it Chael choose Jon to win hahaha

Can someone sell me on Carneiro? I'm seeing people suddenly talking about him. Weight cutting issues for Ortega aside, what makes him a good pick here?

Also, I strongly think a lot of people are missing opportunity to take Manuwa at sub 200 odds. He's dominated everyone outside the top 3 of LHW. Yeah oezdemir can punch as well as any LHW and he's already taken 2 upsets, but Manuwa is a much better version of him.

moicano is the better striker, nice jab and leg kicks, good takedown defence. he's long and knows how to use his range (tooled jeremy stephens at kicking range when he kept coming straight forward).

ortega is a wizard on the mat but i'm not sure he can get it there, and even then, moicano is a legit black belt himself. i think moicano wins a clear dec here, more confident now with ortega's weight cut.

I don't really remember the third rounds that well but I am pretty sure that he won both of them so he couldn't have been that gassed. Do you reckon Barao will have conditioning issues going back down (to 140lbs but still).

He was great on the scales, very healthy so I think that Barao will be back and looking somewhat like the fighter that got him the title. Again in my breakdown I went over how he deals much better with traditional strikers like Aljo then he does with the Neo footwork of a Dominick or Cruz or TJ Dillashaw..

I'd be nervous as fuck if I had Brian Ortega by the way. He looked terrible on the scales. And waited until the very last seconds to make it official.

The bulk of my action is on the no scorecards option. Not the moneyline.

Moicano has 0 ko's.. I think Ortega has a solid submission edge here.

Are you concerned with how Ortega looked today on the scales? All drawn out and the last man to hit the scales? Beating the clock by seconds?

I love everyone in this community, but I've been following mma for over 10 years and this is the first live event I'm going to and y'all are giving me heart attacks with all these fights off rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back