UFC 219 - Cyborg vs Holm - Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Condit isn't drinking mouthwash

giphy.gif

Holm interview

-on route to wrestling classes, due to do mitt work later on
-eats lunch in cars and inbetween driving to training sessions
-most of her boxing career and boxing fights were at 140- says 145 is more ideal
-wrestling against guys during training session, her strength was there too but she
discusses how the clinch strength has to be there in r2 and r3 also.
-trains more with guys this camp, her training partners are not going easy on her, pushing and
grinding her whole way for this camp.
-says with cyborg its all about the game plan and performing it right.
-says no excuses in her losses, and her coaches and training but its about executing it correctly.
-understands cyborg has her own game plan
-says cyborg is her biggest fight in her career
-says cyborg is the most powerful fighter she will be facing
-watched Cyborgs last loss in her MT fight, but says its very different but can take advantage.
suggest she is similar in height and reach but cyborg is much more thicker.
-suggest fight can go different ways, lots of mental and emotional aspects suggest fighters
make things worse then it is even if their opponents bigger, stronger then they are. Fighters
can get angry and run into things and forget to game plan and fight.

More Condit quotes:

From August - http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/carlos...ing-at-this-level-anymore-after-ufc-on-fox-21

“I don’t know if I have any business fighting at this level anymore, I don’t know if I belong here anymore. We’ll see.” "Maia hit me with a shot from half guard rattled me and I didn’t really expect that. After that he started moving to mount and I gave him my back because I didn’t want to get hit, I was actually, I was kind of rocked from that shot." "I’m leaning towards probably, possibly being done.” “Honestly, I’ve had a tough career with a lot of fights and I’ve taken a lot of punishment,” “I don’t know if I can continue to take shots, honestly.

From October - https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/10...ondit-return-neil-magny-welterweight-mma-news

"honestly there’s a financial piece to this, too." “This is my trade, this is what I do. I didn’t go to college, I don’t have a whole lot of options as far as backup plans. I’ve got bills to pay and mouths to feed, so, let’s strap up the gloves and get to it.”

Esparza is Calvillo's toughest opponent to date by far, yet Calvillo is more favoured here than she was against her previous lower level opponents. 9 months ago Calvillo was barely favoured over Cooper. The hype is out of control, everyone is sleeping on Esparza.

Calvillo is inexperienced compared to Esparza and she hasn't been in there with the high level competition that Esparza has. Esparza is going to get TD's and Calvillo has never faced a grappler even close to Esparza's level.
But then you could say the UFC are trying to build Calvillo up here, which is the argument you usually make when heavily touting the favourite.

Cyborg sub +1600 at Ladbrokes. With odds boost goes up to +1800.
Been eyeing that one for a few days now. These long odds sub props have been very kind to us recently. Hesitating because I'm not sure Cyborg has ever even attempted a submission in any of her mma fights, she likes battering people.

When you break the odds down like that yep it's pretty crazy. I haven't got to tape yet but i bet Cyn in her first two fights so I am a fan, but yeah, Carla disrespect seems clear here.
Pearl Gonzalez took Calvillo down 2/3 times, Pearl Gonzalez went 0/15 on TD's vs Botelho. Esparza takes down everyone she fights and she has a strong top game. Calvillo looks very talented on the ground but she's looking good against much lesser grapplers than Esparza.

I know Esparza is going to get TD's and the wrestling advantage will be significant. i can see Esparza being competitive where ever this fight goes.

You can't even compare their resumes, Carla has beaten the elite of the division and she is amongst the elite herself.

Calvillo beat two girls at the very bottom of the division and then she beat a depleted Calderwood in what was a much closer fight then people think, I scored it 29-28 Calvillo, she stole the rounds with TD's, Calderwood looked trash.

But then you could say the UFC are trying to build Calvillo up here, which is the argument you usually make when heavily touting the favourite.
it's an angle always worth paying attention to but the UFC are rolling the dice here, I don't think Calvillo is ready for an opponent of Esparza's level. But of course UFC want Calvillo to win. I just tout the winners.

Khabib training at AKA footage with Rockhold and Gabriel Benitez - coach says we'll take him down, get him tired and finish him

Last edited:
Interview from 1.5 months ago

6-7 years ago, I made the commitment to be world champion, riding this big wave, most of my fights were at 125, 135, I beat two of the girls on TUF, I do have a tough weight cut, I am successful at 115 but eventually I may move up, because they opened up 125 this year, I kinda like cutting weight, It keeps me more disciplined, I have alot of respect for Esparza, I'm a new breed, it's my time, I train with one of the best teams in the world, I'm taller, more range, good scrambling, best gym for wrestling, she'll be surprised, I dare her to shoot on me, I love the ground, i know my grappling is better than hers, great match up for me, I train with all the guys here, I will KO her, everyone will be on board

Ashlee Evans-Smith says Esparza is my best friend

We're both at Team Oyama, started here when I was 18, Calvillo has really good BJJ, scrambling, she doesn't have cage experience I do, but she's been training for a long time, not taking her lightly, she's unorthodox on the feet, my manager told me she was calling me out, I was mad, so I said I'll fight her, can't wait to party in Vegas for New Years with you, got a room, my last cheat meal is going to be tomorrow and It's going to be epic, fries, pizza, cheeseburger, grilled cheese sandwich and a doughnut, I'm only 7 pounds over, not a big issue for me, I don't like to cut more than 3 or 4 pounds, my favorite cookie is a double chocolate, Felice Herrig is my other best friend

Javier Mendez - He's ready, came into camp lighter, started nutrition 50 days out, striking and grappling is better, he's at 170, Edson is extremely dangerous striker, hard to takedown, good conditioning, super fast, we have our work cut out for us, but we're ready, Khabib will prove his dominance, MJ was only in the fight for 2 minutes until Khabib followed the gameplan, we were screaming our heads off, he was doing the total opposite, Khabib won't make that mistake again, he's the best he's ever been

Calvillo has been in the UFC for 9 months, she's been favoured over all 3 of her UFC opponents

Calvillo closing odds

Calvillo -160 vs Cooper
Calvillo -270 vs Gonzalez
Calvillo -210 v s Calerdwood

Calvillo currently sits at -310 vs Esparza, who is a former world champion and the only fighter to finish the current world champion.

Esparza is Calvillo's toughest opponent to date by far, yet Calvillo is more favoured here than she was against her previous lower level opponents. 9 months ago Calvillo was barely favoured over Cooper. The hype is out of control, everyone is sleeping on Esparza.

Calvillo is inexperienced compared to Esparza and she hasn't been in there with the high level competition that Esparza has. Esparza is going to get TD's and Calvillo has never faced a grappler even close to Esparza's level.
I'm not playing either side since mediocre WMMA does nothing for me, I'm just concerned that a book's decided to advertise the play since they've got a really shit record at those recommended plays. I remember the same book was advocating Mayweather decision against Conor and other questionable calls like that.

It's not crazy to say that it isn't the prime Condit fighting next weekend. I'm not that high on Magny at all but I'm betting on that Condit have lost some motivation and the "Eye of the Tiger" with it, 2u

It's not crazy to say that it isn't the prime Condit fighting next weekend. I'm not that high on Magny at all but I'm betting on that Condit have lost some motivation and the "Eye of the Tiger" with it, 2u
Prettymuch. Condit's style of fighting is also predicated on force of will and cardio a lot more than other guys. I feel like I can trust him less than a conventional wrestle-boxer who's going through motivational issues.

Prettymuch. Condit's style of fighting is also predicated on force of will and cardio a lot more than other guys. I feel like I can trust him less than a conventional wrestle-boxer who's going through motivational issues.

Yeah this is true. So much of what made Condit great was his heart above all else. Now it seems that is fading?!?

I hope Condit is not giving fake interviews to get his odds up. Condit don't have the mental retardation complex like Lawler. Don't think Condit is interesting in getting his brain smashed to pices in his last fight. I think this is a remake of Cerrone and Till

I'm not playing either side since mediocre WMMA does nothing for me, I'm just concerned that a book's decided to advertise the play since they've got a really shit record at those recommended plays. I remember the same book was advocating Mayweather decision against Conor and other questionable calls like that.
I couldn't care less what the dummies at unibet think, I only focus on what I think, if I started letting others influence the way i think then I'd just end up being confused.

And this is hardly mediocre WMMA

I'm feeling the disrespect towards Esparza

I couldn't care less what the dummies at unibet think, I only focus on what I think, if I started letting others influence the way i think then I'd just end up being confused.

And this is hardly mediocre WMMA

I'm feeling the disrespect towards Esparza
I feel like you're pouring too much credence into the 'belt', like you do into undefeated records. Didn't you say like 2 weeks ago that you couldn't bet on an undefeated guy like Ortega since being undefeated is a massive factor in of itself, regardless how fluke-merchant a guy's wins look? I think we're seeing a seachange in WMMA where the 'Rousey generation' of girls that only got made aware of the sport off Rousey are simply a lot better athletes than the strange women who were into MMA beforehand.

I feel like you're pouring too much credence into the 'belt', like you do into undefeated records. Didn't you say like 2 weeks ago that you couldn't bet on an undefeated guy like Ortega since being undefeated is a massive factor in of itself, regardless how fluke-merchant a guy's wins look? I think we're seeing a seachange in WMMA where the 'Rousey generation' of girls that only got made aware of the sport off Rousey are simply a lot better athletes than the strange women who were into MMA beforehand.
Sure i like betting undefeated fighters but their resumes needs to be respectable. Lets not compare Ortega's undefeated 13-0 record to Cynthia's 6-0 record, they are levels apart. Calvillo is hardly undefeated, she lost an amateur fight back in 2013 to a bum, at that time Esparza was the Invicta champion. Esparza is not only more experienced, she's actually younger than Calvillo by 3 months.

Esparza is too good, she's too high level, this is not Pearl Gonzalez, this is a former world champion, elite tournament winner, high level MMA wrestler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back