UFC 223 - Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weak sauce, that's fake as hell. Dana White is way too cheerful about this 'cancellation' to be true. The other tweets are way too try hard as well.

Weak sauce, that's fake as hell. Dana White is way too cheerful about this 'cancellation' to be true. The other tweets are way too try hard as well.
Agreed. I can’t take any of this seriously on April first

if you go to the 16 min mark, Max says he's not even training because of his ankle injury. Even more pointing to this pull out being bullshit

I think Joanna can and will make some adjustments here. IMO one of the biggest keys to the first fight was Rose neutralizing Joanna's jab by staying far out of range and closing the distance with those leaping left hooks. Joanna backing up in straight lines also made it easier for Rose to time her attacks. I think Joanna can adjust by coming forward/not allowing Rose to dictate distance and utilizing more lateral movement in her retreats. It seems to me like Rose came into the first fight with a great gameplan and executed it perfectly. But if JJ can take away what worked so well for Rose in that fight, I have to wonder if Rose can get the better of her on the feet.

I also had similar thoughts re: JJ's advantage in the clinch. The work that KK was able to do there absolutely won the fight for her against Rose. All those knees to the body really took their toll. I don't see why JJ can't have similar, if not more success in the clinch and I definitely think it's a viable option for her here.

Before the first fight, very few were giving Rose a chance. I think it's important to consider what happened in that fight when capping this one, but I'm not willing to throw out everything that we believed beforehand based on 3 minutes of fighting. I do agree with the concerns that others have brought up about Joanna's chin though. She doesn't seem to be able to take a shot very well and Rose is an excellent finisher once she has you hurt. Because of that I'm waiting to hopefully get JJ at evens or better and I'll probably keep it to 1-2u.
JJ moved in straight lines backwards in most of her fights though no? It's primarily how she got away from JA. I think their first fight showed us that there are a lot more x factors to this than anyone realizes. I almost feel like betting this spot is about the same as throwing a dart at a list of outcomes.

I'll add this though. Although Masvidal is a much different fighter than Woodley, a big reason I bet Mas was because I thought since ATT had 50 minutes of fight experience with the guy they would be able to figure him out a bit and gameplan his chin into dust. I'm not sure how they come in different this time. I think Trevor Whittman is a superior striking coach and we might not have seen Roses arsenal. Rose had said in multiple interviews that she expected a much later finish (3rd round or so). Just some food for thought there I guess.

I'm not mad at anybody's play in this spot though. The last fight only raised more questions to me than it answered.

Khabib Sub2. Holloway's TDD is still fairly unproven and I don't see him being able to last on the ground with Khabib. His best shot's gonna be a late TKO over gassed Khabib, and I don't rate him lasting that long on his back.

I still think it's all some April fools shit

max is probably going to die but give me a high enough number and i'll stab.

Really no reason for the UFC to be doing this as an April Fools, it damages them if anything.

Pretty damn sure it's legit, it's a pretty stupid thing to do promotion wise if not; not that it would be a first.

And after their history not sure Helwani would be in on the UFC/Dana White April Fools.

Last edited:
Haven't they never said that Khabib/Ferg is for the real belt? No clarification if they're stripping the Irishman? Suddenly Max is fighting to become a 2 weight class champ on 6 days notice? Fuck April fools.

It looks legit but it's April Fool's and Holloway pulled out with an injury last month so it's a very quick turnaround if true.

It looks legit but it's April Fool's and Holloway pulled out with an injury last month so it's a very quick turnaround if true.
exactly this. ill believe it tomorrow if nothing's changed

Haven't they never said that Khabib/Ferg is for the real belt? No clarification if they're stripping the Irishman? Suddenly Max is fighting to become a 2 weight class champ on 6 days notice? Fuck April fools.
Dana says it's for the real belt but they don't strip Conor. It doesn't make any sense. How can someone win the real belt if Conor doesn;t get stripped.

Watch the end of this interview Dana just did. So he is saying that at the moment they start the fight Conor is stripped or what? Why can't they just be clear about this.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...ony-ferguson-withdraws-due-torn-knee-ligament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back