UFC 243 PBP/Discussion

Hooker is legit. I think he learned a lesson vs Barboza that he can't just stand in front on an elite striker and trade shots. I'd actually like his chances in a rematch, I think he'd approach it differently. He has top 5 potential for sure.

Al is a fringe top 10 guy though. Tough, but doesn't do anything special.

Hooker is good, certainly, but I just take issue with his style being called "high-level". He has technical, powerful strikes, a brutal leg kick to go along with his height and length and solid TDD and grappling.

He has a very "mid-level" way of fighting, though, complete with significant defensive deficiencies, no different than much lower-level UFC fights, only he has the aforementioned length, power, and slightly better technique.

Actually, the guy he called out, Dustin Poirier, has what I would call a genuinely "high-level" style of fighting.

If Hooker still kicked that left leg of Al, but with inside kicks, he would've stop that fight in the 2nd. But I get that inside leg kicks are easier to counter, so he chose to play it safe. But I really feel he needed a couple more hard kicks to that leg and the fight would be over.

Al switched and fought a lot of the fight southpaw to protect that leg. DC was mentioning it too.

Hooker is good, certainly, but I just take issue with his style being called "high-level". He has technical, powerful strikes, a brutal leg kick to go along with his height and length and solid TDD and grappling.

He has a very "mid-level" way of fighting, though, complete with significant defensive deficiencies, no different than much lower-level UFC fights, only he has the aforementioned length, power, and slightly better technique.

Actually, the guy he called out, Dustin Poirier, has what I would call a genuinely "high-level" style of fighting.

I'd favor Dustin over him, yeah. I do think Hooker is probably a top 7ish LW right now, so to me that's high level.

And yes, some of what I was saying is also relative to the card for sure.

I favour Dustin to win, but he will have to work for this win IMO. It won't be a walk in the park. And for sure he will have to have his emotions in check. No more going full crazy mode or full defensive shell like in Khabib fight.

I'd favor Dustin over him, yeah. I do think Hooker is probably a top 7ish LW right now, so to me that's high level.

And yes, some of what I was saying is also relative to the card for sure.

How sad that this fight, which would have been a solid main card entry on a UFN back in the day, nothing more, is BY FAR the 2nd best fight on a PPV card?

And how pathetic that the main card included regional slopfest Tafa vs. de Castro, early prelim caliber fight Lima vs. Jumeau, and then more regional caliber embarrassment in Spivak vs. Tuivasa?

How sad that this fight, which would have been a solid main card entry on a UFN back in the day, nothing more, is BY FAR the 2nd best fight on a PPV card?

And how pathetic that the main card included regional slopfest Tafa vs. de Castro, early prelim caliber fight Lima vs. Jumeau, and then more regional caliber embarrassment in Spivak vs. Tuivasa?
You're really going off on the card tonight! As a bettor I like the almost weekly cards, so this is the reality of it. We're not ever going back to a 2006 era of one stacked card per month with all big name fighters that you know and one smaller card with up & comers and some fighters that you know.

This is the worst PPV I can remember in awhile overall. The Riddell fight was awesome, but holds no actual consequence from a divisional standpoint. Otherwise, it's just filler until the co-main (which was okay but really was just a showcase for Hooker to look good vs a tough guy) and now the ME. Hopefully this is as good as it should be.

My prediction is Whittaker with a ground and pound finish

Izzy by dec is my best outcome betting wise.

You're really going off on the card tonight! As a bettor I like the almost weekly cards, so this is the reality of it. We're not ever going back to a 2006 era of one stacked card per month with all big name fighters that you know and one smaller card with up & comers and some fighters that you know.

Thing is, there is 10 times as much MMA talent now as in 2006. They could increase their number of cards while STILL retaining the same caliber of talent as back then so long as they

-Cut back slightly on the number of cards.
-Cut back slightly on the number of fights. Sitting through 12-14 fights while paying close attention is hard for degenerate bettors, let alone normal people. Most people don't show up until the main card, anyways.
-Stop releasing solid fighters to pick up 1-0 WMMA thots like Bea Malecki.

Of course, that would cut into short-term profits, so fuck the long-term, amirite?

I'm on Adesanya and FGTD, only way this is a losing night is if Whitaker gets the KO, all other outcomes, I win. Would have won no matter what If the Taha fight went the distance.

Back