UFC 257: McGregor vs. Poirier 2

Hey man its been a while. Here is my first post in like 3 years. I completely disagree. Dustin will win. Conor lacks the strong fundamentals.

There's not much to discuss on the main event IMO - it's pretty straightforward: Conor is very quick with making his reads and this makes him dangerous from the very start, AND both Poirier's chin and his style of fighing aren't bulletproof enough to buy him time until Conor slows down. Yes, it's a 5 rounder, on paper there is time for Dustin to make it an atrittion fight, where he should have a considerable advantage. But if you ask me, Dustin's chances to extend the fight that long are slim to none. The match-up doesn't play in his favour at all.

Poirier is still too hittable. His high guard is nice, covers him well. But it's not a very complicated obstabcle for Conor (as we saw in the 1st fight). Dustin mostly hides behind his "philly shell". He rarely uses hand parries, hand checks, slips, duck and rolls, which would make his defense a lot more layered and tricky to exploit... Movement is nice, but he's not Wonderboy and still gets trapped along the fence, even by guys with not especially good pressure footwork.

Conor is faster than him. Even if we take away the technique edge. He's just faster. This makes the odds even more stacked on Conor's side. Personally I will be very surprised if Dustin wins this fight.

Seeing posts like this make me regret having anything on Rountree though. Talking about depression, weight gain, and inconsistent training make it hard to have confidence in the guy. If he mentally shows up this should be a cake walk for him. I'm curious to see him weigh in, hopefully he has gotten his conditioning in check.

I just found out today Marcin has a Dutch coach and also seems to be fighting out of the Netherlands. His coach says they're confident, but don't want to fight with emotions. Also echoes Mancin about being really motivated again. Pretty generic stuff. But it's an interesting contrast with Khalil's social media. Marcin is like 400-50 in karate, so at the time I assumed he was gonna 'outnimble' the plodding Alvey, instead he literally ran from the outside with his hands down, straight into Alvey's best punch.

Last edited:
I just found out today Marcin has a Dutch coach and also seems to be fighting out of the Netherlands. His coach says they're confident, but don't want to fight with emotions. Also echoes Mancin about being really motivated again. Pretty generic stuff. But it's an interesting contrast with Khalil's social media. Marcin is like 400-50 in karate, so at the time I assumed he was gonna 'outnimble' the plodding Alvey, instead he literally ran from the outside with his hands down, straight into Alvey's best punch.

somethin to note, that post was from October of last year

Used to be an NPC who watched the Apprentice on NBC, but now I'm da boss and like Vince McMahon I'm telling Donald to his face " You're FIRED"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2021 I'm back from a long-awaited comeback. Welcome me back like they welcomed back Murda Ma$e from Harlem.

I'm invigorated breathing new life fo shizzle, hooked on an IV drip of salbutamol and I'm chugging down Jolt caffeine mixed with Monster Zero Ultra cause I'm a "White Monster" up in this game.

I'm cocky cause I'm confident. My picks are like my idioms, immaculate that's why I never put all my eggs in one basket cause I'm no idiot!

The name of the fucking game is VALUE. You find it you bag it and take it home with you knowing you just made off like a bandit.

I don't charge for picks anymore, I've terminated my handicapping service because my mind was on my money and I'm a born again Christian.

"Jesus is King" - Kanye

Barry's 1st pick of 2021:

Antonio Carlos Junior +130 1U
snCDsO9.png

Get on my level. I dare you to fade me. Hottest handicapper alive!

- Barry

Used to be an NPC who watched the Apprentice on NBC, but now I'm da boss and like Vince McMahon I'm telling Donald to his face " You're FIRED"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2021 I'm back from a long-awaited comeback. Welcome me back like they welcomed back Murda Ma$e from Harlem.

I'm invigorated breathing new life fo shizzle, hooked on an IV drip of salbutamol and I'm chugging down Jolt caffeine mixed with Monster Zero Ultra cause I'm a "White Monster" up in this game.

I'm cocky cause I'm confident. My picks are like my idioms, immaculate that's why I never put all my eggs in one basket cause I'm no idiot!

The name of the fucking game is VALUE. You find it you bag it and take it home with you knowing you just made off like a bandit.

I don't charge for picks anymore, I've terminated my handicapping service because my mind was on my money and I'm a born again Christian.

"Jesus is King" - Kanye

Barry's 1st pick of 2021:

Antonio Carlos Junior +130 1U
snCDsO9.png

Get on my level. I dare you to fade me. Hottest handicapper alive!

- Barry

eo62r.jpg

Does anybody think Frevola has a chance at +550??

Depends how bad Tsarukyan's weight cut was. I imagine Frevola's path to victory would require a wrestling heavy gameplan, and given how well Tsarukyan did against Islam Makachev I don't see that as being particularly probable to succeed.

Here are Luke Thomas' picks. Very rare that he ever makes his predictions for a full card publicly. I'm sure a fair amount of people may find his personality grating but he is undoubtedly a very knowledgeable analyst.

@49:45

cliffs:
- McGregor
- Hooker
- Calderwood
- Ribas
- Muradov (he noted he's 'pretty confident' about this pick)
- Tsarukyan (although he noted how revved up Frevola may be after numerous bouts in 2020 were cancelled)
- Shoeface (underdog)
- Pena (underdog)
- Rountree
- Lentz (underdog, only a slight lean but not confident at all)
- Zhumagulov

Does Lentz really deserve to be +500?

The dude lost to Allen, who is 15-1, Oliveira, Teymur, and Islam the past 3 years. All very legit competition.

This is a major step up for Evloev.

I will be risking Amir Albazi sub line. I might see if its worth getting a decison if the sub ITD fails. Still not sure.

Here are Luke Thomas' picks. Very rare that he ever makes his predictions for a full card publicly. I'm sure a fair amount of people may find his personality grating but he is undoubtedly a very knowledgeable analyst.

cliffs:
- McGregor
- Hooker
- Calderwood
- Ribas
- Tsarukyan (although he noted how revved up Frevola may be after numerous bouts in 2020 were cancelled)
- Shoeface (underdog)
- Pena (underdog)
- Rountree
- Zhumagulov

Yet confident in Rountree and Zhumagulov?

Does Lentz really deserve to be +500?

The dude lost to Allen, who is 15-1, Oliveira, Teymur, and Islam the past 3 years. All very legit competition.

This is a major step up for Evloev.
I think the price is about right. Who has Lentz really beaten in the last 5-10 years? Scott Holtzman and the ghost of Gray Maynard? Maybe I'm underestimating Nik or overselling Evloev's grappling abilities. I just don't see Lentz getting the level of control in the grappling he normally needs to win fights.

Ho. Lee. Shit.

Barry is baaaaaaaack!!!!

Most of you guys weren't here way back so won't remember @barrygood1

Fellas...this is not a normal day on the Ol' betting forum.

I can't remember for sure who still posts that was here all this time.

@Oblivian obviously, he actually started this whole thing for those who don't know. Didn't even used to have a sub forum, he just had to create threads in the heavies.

@PuertoRican for sure too knows the Care Bare.

I know some of you others remember Barry too, I'm on my phone and can't see join dates though.

@Kamais_Ookin ? Not sure? @Naught2Sixty probably?

Man, this just made this old timer's morning. The legendary King Troll is back. The betting forum's Andy Kaufman, never breaks character, ignores all replies, doing his thing once again. Amazing.

I wish you guys could see the posts from years and years ago. For those who weren't here, Barry was "The Cooler" on this forum forever. Constantly losing $, talking about taking out credit card advances to keep betting, borderline suicidal. Then one day he decided he was just gonna immediately change his persona on here to that of a high stakes sharp that became a tour with a betting service. I mean like... overnight. Posting to literally the same people whose read his posts for years and knew he sucked at betting MMA, but he has NEVER broken character since.

Like I said, he's probably the most legendary long-game troll I've ever seen.

Dammit Barry, welcome back man.

cliffs:
- McGregor
- Hooker
- Calderwood
- Ribas
- Shoeface (underdog)
- Pena (underdog)
- Rountree
- Zhumagulov

For the record I actually liked Luke's radio show. Yeah he's pompous but if you get past that it was generally entertaining.

But he SUUUUUUCKS at picking winners. It's not that he doesn't know MMA, he just is terrible at using that knowledge to actually accurately predict outcomes. He and KOB would make picks on the show when it was on Sirius and they were generally not good at all.

May I quickly address the bold?
Marcin's Karate style is Kyokushin which does not usually "outnimble" anyone. The sparring is very endurance-centric, rewards aggression and does not allow head punches - so running "from the outside with his hands down, straight into X's best punch" is not at all shocking from a Kyokushin guy.

Ho. Lee. Shit.

Barry is baaaaaaaack!!!!

@Oblivian obviously, he actually started this whole thing for those who don't know. Didn't even used to have a sub forum, he just had to create threads in the heavies.

I know some of you others remember Barry too, I'm on my phone and can't see join dates though.

Man, this just made this old timer's morning. The legendary King Troll is back. The betting forum's Andy Kaufman, never breaks character, ignores all replies, doing his thing once again. Amazing.

I wish you guys could see the posts from years and years ago. For those who weren't here, Barry was "The Cooler" on this forum forever. Constantly losing $, talking about taking out credit card advances to keep betting, borderline suicidal. Then one day he decided he was just gonna immediately change his persona on here to that of a high stakes sharp that became a tour with a betting service. I mean like... overnight. Posting to literally the same people whose read his posts for years and knew he sucked at betting MMA, but he has NEVER broken character since.

Thank you so much for this heads-up, i love this type of shit.

Ho. Lee. Shit.

Barry is baaaaaaaack!!!!

I remember him, could do without him

Back