Media UFC now forcing British fans to pay PPV fee to watch certain events on BT Sport

Lol at people complaining about who pays more like it's some kind of pissing contest.

People love to complain.

This is a contest to see who has more of a right to complain.

The biggest loser is the winner.

BT sport is extra on top of your regular tv bill.

You get your tv from sky, virgin, whoever which is your regular tv, but then bt sport is an additional charge on top if anything up to £30-40

Then on top if that £20 for the ppv.

The thing to also remember is all of the prelims are on fight pass in the uk

So you are paying that £40 purely for main cards

Don’t forget we also have to pay £155 a year for a shitty bbc tv licence despite the fact I watch fuck all on the bbc.

Lol. I might have chosen different words but yeah... we've been paying for these cards so Europeans can have them for free since time began.

Now we're all forced to pie rat.

You’ve been paying SO europeans can have them for free ?

There’s so much wrong with that statement, I don’t know where to start.

No, seriously, you’re an idiot and with your kind of mentality - you’ll spend your whole life getting shafted.
Good luck bud.

No seriously, you’re an idiot with your kind of mentality - you’ll spend you’re whole life whining.
Good luck m80.

Americans :
“I don’t mind getting absolutely shafted as long as someone else is too”

Fkin idiots lol

You guys keep talking about the magical streams as if they are foolproof. Not even aware that a lot of the streams now are based off of free viewing on BT Sport. They are tightening this shit up to get more money. Been a long time coming

You guys keep talking about the magical streams as if they are foolproof. Not even aware that a lot of the streams now are based off of free viewing on BT Sport. They are tightening this shit up to get more money. Been a long time coming

Streams can come from anywhere, they don't depend on BT Sport whether there is a stream or not. Besides, if BT Sport don't get any money from this and lose money (which is looking likely) they're not going to have UFC on the Box Office channels, they were actually doing really well with the UFC the way they were while keeping as well as getting new subscribers all the time where as this is going the opposite way for them.

UFC will always need somewhere to broadcast through to bring them to their UK audience and even without the UK audience, UFC will broadcast in however many countries around the world, streams will always be found and linked from wherever they are on TV.

Personally I don't like streams, I can't even get them on my TV and I don't think they're reliable, I'd just not watch basically and try catch up some other way.

except in the US its on during prime time, in the UK the PPV starts at 3am duhh. Also the fact that we have to pay for the BT Sports package in the first place and now a PPV cost on top of that
Yanks fail to realise how small a following the sport has in the UK. Switching to PPV, will kill interest..
Extremely counterproductive in the long term.
When the UK creates a sport that the world is interested in then it can be based around Greenwich instead of Las Vegas time zone.

I can't help but wonder what effect streaming had in this. If a shit load of people are streaming the events instead of purchasing it, then BT needs to find a way to make ends meet, so they increase prices. The price increase drives people to cancel subscriptions and stream instead. The circle of death is complete.

The way I understand things is that viewership means everything. High viewership means more advertising dollars. More advertising dollars means the individual consumer is able to pay less. Streaming is stealing in the world of digital broadcasting because the provider can't say, "look at all of the people who will see your ads."

I think the whole "BT Sport is fucking up by charging more" is an argument made by people who don't have all of the information. My question to those people is, if you're running BT and you're locked into a bunch of contracts and your're bleeding money, what would you do? Cut the price in half and hope everyone will decide that £20 per month is way better than streaming for free?

Obligatory disclaimer to ant psychos: I'm not trying to be a dick. Spare me your angry responses.

You all sound poor

alZuaVJ.gif

The UFC went with the other company over renewing with BT Sports initially, called Eleven Sports iirc. They soon figured out it was a terrible decision and went back with their tail between their legs to BT. BT now had more leverage, so they basically said put it on PPV and we'll share the revenue. I think @fightoracle on Twitter provides a slightly more comprehensive answer. Check his feed.

Back