News UFC tittle challenger Yushin Okami doesnt give up and is set to debut in Shooto

pankrat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
22 years veteran in the sport, former UFC MW tittle challenger Yushin Okami doesnt give up on his goal to become champion in MMA and will be making his Shooto debut at 42 years old.

His opponent will be "MMA Panda" Jae-Young-Kim, KMMA pioneer who handled UFC MW "The Iron Turle" Jun Yong Park his first professional loss.

A veteran clash between two MWs who have led the weight class in their respective countries for a long time

image-1698905686.jpg

Edit - Okami won a controversial split decision in a grueling battle to improve his perfect record in Japanese promotions to 17-0, at 42 years of age

Would like to see Okami vs "Fatninja" in Rizin next. Then retire

Last edited:
He’s huge for a MW, so he should have the size and strength advantage. Amirite, @Royce's Gi

He’s huge for a MW, so he should have the size and strength advantage. Amirite, @Royce's Gi

Excuse me but Yushin Okami was never a big MW.

Fought the way bigger Rich Franklin as a lanky 6'2" who barely cut weight to 185:
full

Weighted-in at soft 200lbs with clothes on for a week-notice bout vs OSP at LHW

A below average sized MW by today standards.
A tiny MW by Pereira's standards.

full

Barely above average sized WW in modern day

I think this is a winnable fight for Okami, but I don't know that I have any interest in watching his fights that are winnable or not winnable at this point. He had a great run, he's had a great career, but fighting is a young person's game and he isn't going to go on some amazing run in his early-mid 40s that will shock the world.

Yushin climbs higher up the list of people I wish would retire for their own good every day.

Maybe he's going for that Yuki Kondo length of career.
Japanese guys seem to just fight on forever. There are guys from Pride who are in their late 40s who are still going strong

Yushin climbs higher up the list of people I wish would retire for their own good every day.

Maybe he's going for that Yuki Kondo length of career.
It was like watching Sakuraba get thrashed by Mayhem Miller...it hurt to see.

Kim’s a heavy hitter, but has never been much else. Should be a fun fight, for the wrong reasons

Okami has been losing to guys he never would have lost to in his prime for years now.

Absolutely, but Shooto against a guy who never made it to the majors or had notable wins (against fighters with experience,) and whose entire career is* made up of multiple 2-1 streaks seems right up Okami's alley.

Last edited:
Back