News UFC tittle challenger Yushin Okami doesnt give up and is set to debut in Shooto

Excuse me but Yushin Okami was never a big MW.

Fought the way bigger Rich Franklin as a lanky 6'2" who barely cut weight to 185:
full

Weighted-in at soft 200lbs with clothes on for a week-notice bout vs OSP at LHW

A below average sized MW by today standards.
A tiny MW by Pereira's standards.

full

Barely above average sized WW in modern day

Yeah that’s cool, I see you spoutin’ facts and all that, but Rogan told me so during the corn nuts era and that’s good enough for me.

22 years veteran in the sport, former UFC MW tittle challenger Yushin Okami doesnt give up on his goal to become champion in MMA and will be making his Shooto debut at 42 years old.

His opponent will be "MMA Panda" Jae-Young-Kim, KMMA pioneer who handled UFC MW "The Iron Turle" Jun Yong Park his first professional loss.

A veteran clash between two MWs who have led the weight class in their respective countries for a long time

image-1698905686.jpg
DAMN!
YOU CAN GUESS WHAT SIDE I AM ON PANKRASE!
YUSHIN, THE HUGEST FIGHTER EVER IS BACK!

NEVER GIVE UP!

WAR THUNDER!
wt_logo_4_art_head.png

Last edited:
Excuse me but Yushin Okami was never a big MW.

Fought the way bigger Rich Franklin as a lanky 6'2" who barely cut weight to 185:
full

Weighted-in at soft 200lbs with clothes on for a week-notice bout vs OSP at LHW

A below average sized MW by today standards.
A tiny MW by Pereira's standards.

full

Barely above average sized WW in modern day

he's ww sized 100%

was a fan of Okami back in the day, I think it's cool to see him fighting. was cool when him and Chael had their friendship. will always support Yushin Okami! LETS GO

I think this is a winnable fight for Okami, but I don't know that I have any interest in watching his fights that are winnable or not winnable at this point. He had a great run, he's had a great career, but fighting is a young person's game and he isn't going to go on some amazing run in his early-mid 40s that will shock the world.

Not that I don't think 42 is old to be competing in MMA, but it's definitely not a "young person's game". Only one current UFC champ is under 30 and there's been plenty of fighters who've had success at high ages. I'd say if anything MMA seems to favor veteran fighters

Not that I don't think 42 is old to be competing in MMA, but it's definitely not a "young person's game". Only one current UFC champ is under 30 and there's been plenty of fighters who've had success at high ages. I'd say if anything MMA seems to favor veteran fighters

It's very unlikely to have succes at high age when starting a pro fighting career at 20. Very few examples I can think of.
Even such a talented and crafty veteran as Mousasi looks badly washed now at 38.

In this case, Okami has been progressively declining since around a decade ago. Lost his chin, speed, reflexes and the sting of his jab.
Kim is a decent match up at this stage but still not confident that Okami can compete even at this level anymore..

Yushin climbs higher up the list of people I wish would retire for their own good every day.

Maybe he's going for that Yuki Kondo length of career.

Yuki Kondo was 42 when he fought 51 years old Renzo Gracie in ONE and it legit looked like Kondo was the elder.
Kondo moved and reacted like a 60 years old man. It was sad to see. And the guy still competing 5 years later....

I guess it depends on how a person defines "young person". The early 30s seem to be the point where skill and experience crossover for the greatest level of success in MMA, but in the UFC history, I do believe that Randy Couture is the only fighter over the age of 40 to win a belt. Being firmly in my 40s, I'm well aware of things that my body can't do that I could do 10 years ago...it sucks, but it's life.

It's very unlikely to have succes at high age when starting a pro fighting career at 20. Very few examples I can think of.
Even such a talented and crafty veteran as Mousasi looks badly washed now at 38.

In this case, Okami has been progressively declining since around a decade ago. Lost his chin, speed, reflexes and the sting of his jab.
Kim is a decent match up at this stage but still not confident that Okami can compete even at this level anymore..

Yuki Kondo was 42 when he fought 51 years old Renzo Gracie in ONE and it legit looked like Kondo was the elder.
Kondo moved and reacted like a 60 years old man. It was sad to see. And the guy still competing 5 years later....
This got me looking into Kondo's recent run. Saw he beat Gono. Took a look at Gono and was shocked to see even he had a fight a couple months ago!

This got me looking into Kondo's recent run. Saw he beat Gono. Took a look at Gono and was shocked to see even he had a fight a couple months ago!

lol yeah its shoking. I though he was retired for health issues.

The guy was fighting 30 years ago, even before Kondo.
Love the early nerdy Gono in his teens lol

I guess it depends on how a person defines "young person". The early 30s seem to be the point where skill and experience crossover for the greatest level of success in MMA, but in the UFC history, I do believe that Randy Couture is the only fighter over the age of 40 to win a belt. Being firmly in my 40s, I'm well aware of things that my body can't do that I could do 10 years ago...it sucks, but it's life.
Glover won the LHW belt at like 42.

Back in the day, okami would update his blog weekly-to-monthly in which he shared his photos and thoughts with viewers. In around 2009, he introduced a new training method aimed at increasing waist size.

I knew it was a bad plan for him because bigger waist will slow him down. He noticeably slowed down in fact and tim boetshe's lazy kangaroo kick found the target at ease.

Demian Maia "no".

Okami won a controversial split decision in a grueling battle to improve his perfect record in Japanese promotions to 17-0, at 42 years of age

Would like to see Okami vs "Fatninja" in Rizin next. Then retire

@Royce's Gi

Back