UFN 106 - Belfort vs Gastelum - Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying the juice on Gastelum is a mistake...

Vitor towering (lil bit) over Gastelum. Damn Kelvin should be WW. Its shame he cant control his eating habits.

belfort-gastelum-faceoff-vendas.jpg
he's definitely undersized at MW but on skills alone I would pick him without a doubt against anyone at MW outside of the top 7 (bisping romero jacare rockhold weidman whittaker mousasi).

Yahya vs Soto.

If we use MMA math.. yahya beat tanaka by UD but Soto lost to Tanaka by SD. (I think i scored it for Soto back then) And this fight is in Brazil. Seriously its a 50-50 but I think Soto is better overall. But im going with Yahya. Judges are corrupt.

Last edited:
just noticed Belfort is 5-1 in Brazil in his latest ufc run (AJ,Bisping,Rockhold,Hendo x2)

does usada test over there?

Yahya vs Soto.

If we use MMA math.. yahya beat tanaka by UD but Soto lost to Tanaka by SD. (I think i scored it for Soto back then) And this fight is in Brazil. Seriously its a 50-50 but I think Soto is better overall. But im going with Yahya. Judges are corrupt.
Should be an awesome grappling match.

just noticed Belfort is 5-1 in Brazil in his latest ufc run (AJ,Bisping,Rockhold,Hendo x2)

does usada test over there?
They do. Only one of those fights were post USADA I think (Hendo II).

Yahya vs Soto.

Yahya got this, he's a better grappler and Soto has no TDD, plus Brazilian judges. Soto might have the edge on the feet though.

Barb/Benny FGD is same price as Barb ML. I kinda like that, either's guys best chance is a dec win
I usually like the Barb DEC/GTD lines but here I do think there's a decent chance he gets the KO. Dariush has such an aggressive style and likes to push guys up against the fence, this will expose him vs better strikers. Ferguson fought very aggressively vs Barb which worked out for him in the end but god damn, if he had a normal chin Barb would likely have KO'd him in r1.

Probably not, both are southpaws though. MJ beat Barboza with pressure and speed but Barboza has improved since, especially with his hands.

A lot of kickboxers don't like to be pressured, it affects their ability to get kicks off and that's what MJ did to Barboza, constant forward pressure. Edson's leg kick won't really be there against Dariush either, he doesn't attack the inside nearly as well as the outside.

I don't think Dariush will bring the same pressure as MJ and definitely not the same speed.

Barb absolutely battered Pettis' inside leg. He barely attacked the outside of Pettis' leg, just chewed up the inside. The inside leg kick is the obvious weapon against Benny, and i wouldn't be surprised to see him attack the outside and inside of Benny's lead leg. The body kick with Barb's back leg is also there against a southpaw. He throws a mean switch kick so no reason to believe he doesn't have a mean back to the body in his arsenal. I know it was Pettis' left leg but Barb did that with his lead leg no wind up at all. Imagine how badly Barb can fuck up a southpaw's lead inside leg with his right leg. The inside of the leg is much easier to fuck up as it's much fleshier.

Barb showed big improvements from the MJ to Ferg fight in terms of dealing with pressure and the latter was in a small cage. Benny doesn't bring anywhere near the pressure that MJ and Ferg do.

No one is going to beat Barb in a kickboxing match in the UFC and that's exactly what Benny brings. He has no hands besides an overhand, he is kick heavy. Good luck kickboxing with Barb especially when you are at a speed disadvantage. Benny can be ko'd too Nijem sparked him!

Last edited:
I have a 10u parlay on Barboza/Gastelum. I think Barboza destroys him. Barboza's footwork and counters have improved tremendously, he doesn't struggle with pressure much anymore. Ferguson fight was in a small cage. Dariush isn't a great boxer and won the Mago fight because Mago was content to sit in the clinch with his back to the cage, which Barb won't be. I don't like Dariush's wrestling and think it's very unlikely he has success taking Barb down. Don't really see a likely route to victory for him here.

Listen to this man. Expert striking analysis. He bet 5 units on Teymur and capped him as -150 fav. Insane capping.

Listen to this man. Expert striking analysis. He bet 5 units on Teymur and capped him as -150 fav. Insane capping.
Yeah this guy is legit, very impressive striking analysis. The one he did for Holly/Randamie was on point too.

Paulo Henrique Costa seems to have some legit power. The knock on him seems to be his bad cardio, but McLellan gasses too. Any brazilians here have insight on Borrachinha?

Considering dropping a bomb on this Barb/Gastelum double at plus money odds. Only thing making me nervous is Vitor's 6-1 record in Brazil. And Kelvin's never fought down there, going to be a really hostile environment for him. Probably the only reason the odds aren't more juiced.

Considering dropping a bomb on this Barb/Gastelum double at plus money odds. Only thing making me nervous is Vitor's 6-1 record in Brazil. And Kelvin's never fought down there, going to be a really hostile environment for him. Probably the only reason the odds aren't more juiced.
Why insist on making a double then? Just bet on Barboza if you think his line has crazy value.

i would also say the opponents Belfort lost to over the last few years was much worse matchups for Belfort then Gastelum is

that said you have to wonder if Belfort have anything left in the tank at 39 and having fought for over 20 years

Last edited:
i would also say the opponents Belfort lost to over the last few years was much worse matchups for Belfort then Gastelum is

that said you have to wonder if Belfort have anything left in the tank at 39 and having fought for over 20 years
I dont know man... A guy with very solid defense on the feet, good combinations, wrestling and a dangerous top game. Sounds like a nightmare to me. Belfort has to KO Gastelum to win and I dont think i've seen Gastelum get hurt ever in any of his fights. Not even Woodley could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back