UFN 120 - Poirier vs Pettis - Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
AA vs Albini is a value bet.

AA has been dusted by the best Heavyweights recently (Ngannou, Overeem, and Stipe) While being competitive on the feet, and losing wars of attrition (Mainly on the ground mind you) to quality Heavweights in Barnett and Tybura. Albini ko'ed a fat slow as fuck Tim Johnson, and that makes him a 3-1 favorite over AA? Not a chance.

Even in the Johnson fight, Albini was caught with a few of Johnson's flurries when he would blitz with straight shots (Albini holds his hands high and moves backwards when facing pressure) If there is something AA still does is throw great combinations when moving forward, and his hand speed is still there. Albini has good accuracy with his punches I will give him that, but AA is such a different fighter than Johnson that I don't feel much of what he did there will translate. AA also has a 3 inch real advantage, I can see him staying long & picking at Albini. Also Albini has been deep in fights twice in his career, I have to trust AA's experience if this goes into deeper rounds.

AA 2u at an awesome price of +285 #rideordie #dogmoney

Sage looks pretty drained. Hoping he looks alright once hydrated for fake weigh-ins, should look at least one full weightclass bigger than Quin.

AA has been dusted by the best Heavyweights recently (Ngannou, Overeem, and Stipe) While being competitive on the feet, and losing wars of attrition (Mainly on the ground mind you) to quality Heavweights in Barnett and Tybura. Albini ko'ed a fat slow as fuck Tim Johnson, and that makes him a 3-1 favorite over AA? Not a chance.

Even in the Johnson fight, Albini was caught with a few of Johnson's flurries when he would blitz with straight shots (Albini holds his hands high and moves backwards when facing pressure) If there is something AA still does is throw great combinations when moving forward, and his hand speed is still there. Albini has good accuracy with his punches I will give him that, but AA is such a different fighter than Johnson that I don't feel much of what he did there will translate. AA also has a 3 inch real advantage, I can see him staying long & picking at Albini. Also Albini has been deep in fights twice in his career, I have to trust AA's experience if this goes into deeper rounds.

With ya on AA, but couldn't go that large since his chin is clearly shot and Albini can bang. Looks like we are on a lot of the same plays though...lets get it!

also worth noting, poirier is 0-2 when headlining. connor was another spotlight fight where he crumbled badly. he could be one of those guys who just can't handle the big stage.

Serious question, how does one develop a physique like this?

Totally with you there. Not sold on Albini, Johnson moves slow as fuck and was tagging him. Arlovski KO1 is +1100 on my book. Arlovski should be the better fighter in everything but chin and boxing fundamentals.

Poirer's the exact same when it comes to adversity. The second that he gets into a difficult fight with somebody who's actually competent, he's inevitably tapping out or getting TKO'd shortly after. Happened with Jung, happened with Alvarez (He was mentally done before the knee IMO) and he psyched himself out spectacularly with Conor.

Didn’t happen with Duffy though. Came back from adversity to win there

Didn’t happen with Duffy though. Came back from adversity to win there
Started taking advantage of Duffy's massive technical hole in the form of his TDD. That'll get him choked against Pettis.

Started taking advantage of Duffy's massive technical hole in the form of his TDD. That'll get him choked against Pettis.

Well yeah same gameplan may not necessarily apply, but the point was definitely about cracking under adversity

Budden makes great predictions but he was high on hendricks last week... that has to be a concern

Think he is losing a step? To caught up in the online feuds to take the time to properly cap the fights? This weekend will speak volumes..

Think he is losing a step? To caught up in the online feuds to take the time to properly cap the fights? This weekend will speak volumes..
Is it do or die for my man budz?

also worth noting, poirier is 0-2 when headlining. connor was another spotlight fight where he crumbled badly. he could be one of those guys who just can't handle the big stage.
I'm not seeing it, it could have been on the prelims and there is a good chance he would have also been dusted by those two guys. And that's mostly on account of MJ and Conor having elite and very dangerous hands for mma's standards. DP isn't really someone whom I'd consider mentally weak. In fact, I'd say being gritty is one of his assets. Just has defensive issues at times. Which basically almost every fighter has that is in a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back