• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFN 123 - Swanson vs Ortega - Fresno, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big believer in Moraes. I really think he is top 5. I still think the 30-27 RA card was the judge mixing up the 2 fighters.

I’m trying to get a cheat sheet on moraes tdd. Is there any tape on him vs a wrestler?

That’s really my only concern. From what I’ve seen I don’t think aljo will be able to blanket him for a majority of the fight, which is likely his only path to victory

Last edited:
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12...lon-moraes-fight-striking-sucks-love-mma-news

After assessing Moraes’ skills, Sterling believes he knows exactly what it will take to beat the Brazilian on Saturday night. “I need to take him out of his game and make him uncomfortable,” he said. “I’ve got to push the pace. I’ve got to be tougher. I’ve got to be meaner. I’ve got to throw the harder shots and I’ve got to be faster than he is.

no, you've got to wrestle.

Watching Ortega Brandao

Ortega is patient. Too patient. I guess his strategy is to try to wear down the fighter before he starts to take risks. That won’t work with cub who has great cardio.

I feel like Ortega should play to his grappling jiu jitsu strength more. He could wear down guys by closing the distance earlier and pressuring them with the takedown threat. If he isn’t successful he could just pull guard or try to hit something out of the clinch

he went into rd 3 knowing he likely needed a finish he really turned it up and started to play to his strengths. No more circling and fighting at range. He’s really dangerous when he gets a hold of you

His lines for rds 3-5 were no brainers

Sub line at +250 now is a bit low but it’s likely his only path to victory. He’s not going to outvolume cub

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12...lon-moraes-fight-striking-sucks-love-mma-news

After assessing Moraes’ skills, Sterling believes he knows exactly what it will take to beat the Brazilian on Saturday night. “I need to take him out of his game and make him uncomfortable,” he said. “I’ve got to push the pace. I’ve got to be tougher. I’ve got to be meaner. I’ve got to throw the harder shots and I’ve got to be faster than he is.

no, you've got to wrestle.

Exactly. He and his camp have to know that. But, he is a flake so it’s hard to bet on him using a wrestle heavy game plan

There’s a big skill gap in the striking and speed department. He’d be foolish to try to trade with moraes. His lead leg is ripe for kicking

Hometown Fighters: (or home gym)
- Ortega and Swanson
- Morales and Lopez
- Carmouche and Davis
- Perez
- Perez

Short Notice:
- Markus Perez (in for John Phillips) vs. Eryk Anders [1 month]
- Andre Soukhamthath (in for Bryan Caraway) vs. Luke Sanders [1 week]
- Marlon Moraes (in for Rani Yahya) vs. Aljamain Sterling [2 weeks]

Ring Rust:
- Liz Carmouche 386 days [injury in Feb McMann]
- Frankie Saenz 322 days
- Chris Gruetzemacher 302 days
- Antonio Braga Neto 1256 days [injury 2 years ago in July Cummings]

Returning from TKO loss:
- Knight (TKO by Lamas) in July

Last edited:
managed to get on ramos before the price got obliterated.

For anyone that can translate

My home state, 2nd round against Moicano I got emotional, mexican blood, wanted to go to war, got composed by end of 2nd, stuck to the gameplan again, Cub is tough, tough fight, will prove I'm in the elite of the elite, he's well rounded, he's fighting for 13-14 years, I'm young and hungry and have nothing to lose, want to fight the best of the best, I'm 6, he's 4, I want to get to 1, his weaknesses (his losses) are my strengths, I'm not outclassed anywhere, I got heart, I got a chin, a war is a war, he's vulnerable to submissions, I get the show the world who I am

Was at Jackson's MMA, frustrated I've never been given the title shot, another style thrown at me, I trained in palm springs with TJ, I move every 4 weeks to not get comfortable, travelling with my girl and new daughter, I have investments, I would love to write a book, I doubled my money in Apple, he prides himself in his chin, he will underestimate my power, my wrestling is better, he's used to losing and coming back to win, will be a mistake to trade punches, when I fought Ross pearson, I played on his Ego, i wanted him to be reckless, I've always been training for Max again, Max is just a more talented version of Ortega, hardest I've ever trained for a fight, crushed all my previous conditioning records, keep the pace

Weight is good, feeling mean, alot of pressure when you fight at home (2 fights in Nashville) but support drives you, now neutral territory, I need finishes, working on getting more pop, I'm pissed off, have something to prove, I want to dust some guys, it's a tough fight, he has a good left hand, good top control, I'm more well equipped, training alot with Benson, I improve every fight, I will take risks to put him away

Doing some film study on Merab Dashboard. Why the fuck is he a +133 favorite against Saenz? Saenz going through a rough patch, but those are competitive losses against decent BWs.

Got married, 3 kids, I wasn't upset of the loss, I wanted to fight more, I had more in me, but then I watched and I wasn't good, I didn't lose my spot in my rankings, thought me some things, have a chin, I can't be caught with my hands down, I can't make mistakes and rely on my chin so much, my striking coach won on DWCS, will be a tough fight, training my ass off, I eat horrible, pizza, mc doubles, fried chicken, closer to fight week I try not to be so bad, be ready for the weight cut, after weigh in, i eat steak and fries, I eat very few vegetables, I eat what I want

Football to MMA, body has never felt better, train smart, spar twice a week, I never stop training, I live there, when I started I had no background in anything, fighting was all instinct, felt so calm fighting Natal, feel at home there, Perez has good BJJ, foot locks, heel hooks, he's durable, we'll meet in the middle and see what happens, I'm moving up the card, just focused on me

I am sick, I have flu, I'll be fine in 2 days, good shape, training hard, I'll make one more victory, training at Serra Longo, real good team, background judo and sambo, first fight at 19, I respect Saenz, I'm sure I will win, 2 days ago I got flu, every camp has problems, but I win, I will find a way to win like always, Aljo is really good, we spar alot, he helps me, more motivation, he's older and more experience, but this is my time

Close to home, 45 mins away, he's a stand up guy, I'm a grappler, ground and pound, training with Chito Vera, good grapplers, top level guys in the gym, been eating healthy for 10 weeks, I'm a big 125'er, I will be better everywhere, hoping to be in top 10 next year, I train all day, clean up the gym at night

Home state, he's tough, we were supposed to fight in the past, was humbling to lose on my back, I thought I was strong BJJ so I didn't really work on it, learned that I'm not invincible, got a new contract with UFC, after loss I was in a dark place, he's a striker, I'm been training alot of my ground, he might surprise me and take me down, will be striking battle, I've improved, he's stayed the same, will be fireworks, went back to Carlson Gracie, left Blackhouse, world champion BJJer's, I was prepared not to be in the UFC, will finish him 2nd round, if he comes in shape we'll go to decision, unanimous, I play Madden 18, when Anthem comes out, you won't see me for a while

Phillips was a lefty, and so is Perez, getting used to moving in a different direction, hard thing to learn, happy they are both left handed, Markus is dangerous on the ground, I'm a pressure fighter, I'll finish him, his cardio is good but he's small for the weight class, keeps his hands down

I stood up wit my hands down and he rocked me, he didn't give me any breathing room, he had more experience, from now on I'll make sure I don't make mistakes, Benitez is tough, stand up wise it'll be a close fight, if I get him to the ground, I'll dominate, he has hard kicks, has good basics, he has a nasty guillotine, training with more and more southpaws, make sure I'm ready, mostly all southpaws, up and comers, haven't brought in anyone special, I will get a takdown, take his back, RNC, or a hard fought decision, stand up we'll be neck and neck, if I get in any trouble, I'll take him down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back