UFN 98 - Ferguson vs RDA - Mexico City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think he can take Rashid down tho or do you think he out strikes him? I've only watched Cruickshank and Miller fights so far. His stand up looked very good against Cruickshank, but he seemed to struggle a little against Miller albeit there was little stand up as Darisuh rightly took the path of least resistance. Burns started r1 really well he applied a lot of pressure to Rashid which Rashid didn't seem to like - I think Dariush needs to apply the same pressure he can't give Rashid space to work his range.

I just think Dariush will strike with him and look for opportunities. In the striking I favor him in the kicking game, and if he can get it down he obviously will have a big edge. I don't see any reason for him to sit there and get outboxed.

Ufc was headed in a specific direction prevously geared toward growth. they did a great job of bringing in new fighters and growing the roster. this is a good strategy long term for the sport as you always need up and comers. however from a strictly $ perspective i could see a model of fewer fighters and fewer events being more profitable.

The divisions are full of fighters that no one cares about except us hardcores. most people dont care about seeing even a guy like edson barboza or trinaldo fight.

Ps. waiting to see how much my no capitalization annoys ppl. lol typing on my phone.

Sad but true.

And I haven't capitalized a single word in my 10+ years on sherdog unless my phone auto-capitalized it!

Everyone picking Dariush do you think he out strikes Rashid or grounds him? I still haven't made my mind up on this one. I definitely think Magomedov is beatable but im not sure Dariush can get him down. Burns did once and he was able to get back to his feet pretty quickly. Burns was worried by the stand up a lot more than Dariush will be tho.

It's a case of clearly more ways to win for me.. and he's the dog. If I 100% knew it would be a 15 minute standup sparring session, I wouldn't be betting dariush. But he has more power for sure on the feet and if it does go to the mat, big edge. This can happen if someone's hurt, too

Also like how active beneil's been while rashid fights so damned infrequently

Beneil vs Rashid seems bound to be a razor close decision. Back the guy with greater value, especially when he'll be the aggressor + is training with RDA at altitude

The biggest difference for me in the Mago-Beneil fight is speed

Mago is so much faster, in his hands, his footwork and his kicks, that Beneil is gonna lose most of the exchanges

With Mago's defence I think the chances of a much slower Beneil catching him with somethin big are small, and wiyh sharp counters he can even catch Beneil with something

Im on Mago but gonna wait a bit more his line seems to be dropping

Mago is so much faster, in his hands, his footwork and his kicks, that Beneil is gonna lose most of the exchanges

With Mago's defence I think the chances of a much slower Beneil catching him with somethin big are small, and wiyh sharp counters he can even catch Beneil with something

Tend to agree and i dont see dariush being able to ground him. Want mago @ -120 tho

If Beneil hadn't fought MJ Id be more worried about this point. Can't deny Rashid is faster, but MJs speed is much greater and Benny, controversial decision or not, did a great job of not allowing MJ to make a giant advantage out of it

If Beneil hadn't fought MJ Id be more worried about this point. Can't deny Rashid is faster, but MJs speed is much greater and Benny, controversial decision or not, did a great job of not allowing MJ to make a giant advantage out of it
Rashid's fight IQ is probably 5 times higher than MJ's, plus I think MJ won that fight easy so getting a bullshit dec isnt exactly going to convince me otherwise

To add to discussion, Magomedov is a counter striker and he's hard to press or get aggressive with when he's slipping and returning fire immediately after you throw. He likes to stop guys in their tracks and make them fight at his slow pace. Beneil definitely fights in a straight line when he comes charging forward. Benny also doesn't have the best head movement.

However, I think Beneil has more ways to win this fight and I also like that he's a southpaw to give Rashid some extra things to look out for aside from the BJJ disparity. Rashid throws alot from his left side and it's just a different style for him to deal with against Dariush. To get a solid fighter like Beneil at dog odds is too hard to pass up. I'm going to play both Benny's ML and the o2.5 as a pseudo hedge to cover Rashid picking him apart. I think Beneil needs to try and drag him down against the fence and work from there maybe?

magomedov%2Bcounters.gif

This is 3 counters landed to Silverio's 2 strikes. Silverio attempting to counter a counter striker with a straight right but Rashid shifts ever so slightly out the way and lands a slick 1-2.

Benny is hittable and we've seen that in his UFC career, but Rashid known for his TDD, has also been taken down and he almost got tapped by Martin.

EDIT:

Here's what Silverio tried to do to Rashid, but Rashid is aware of what he's being threatened with. Rashid has very good foot placement and he never slips TOO far, just enough so he can return the favor. He's not the fastest, nor is he powerful, but he's got precision.This is still a big test for both fighters. Rashid has such low output, you never know if the judges might not see it his way.

VyirtPu.gif

Solid fight for the fans, but I hate it from a betting perspective cuz both these guys are our cash cows :(

Last edited:
To add to discussion, Magomedov is a counter striker and he's hard to press or get aggressive with when he's slipping and returning fire immediately after you throw. He likes to stop guys in their tracks and make them fight at his slow pace. Beneil definitely fights in a straight line when he comes charging forward. Benny also doesn't have the best head movement.

However, I think Beneil has more ways to win this fight and I also like that he's a southpaw to give Rashid some extra things to look out for aside from the BJJ disparity. Rashid throws alot from his left side and it's just a different style for him to deal with against Dariush. To get a solid fighter like Beneil at dog odds is too hard to pass up. I'm going to play both Benny's ML and the o2.5 as a pseudo hedge to cover Rashid picking him apart. I think Beneil needs to try and drag him down against the fence and work from there maybe?

magomedov%2Bcounters.gif

This is 3 counters landed to Silverio's 2 strikes. Silverio attempting to counter a counter striker with a straight right but Rashid shifts ever so slightly out the way and lands a slick 1-2.
Agree with everything you said except im on the opposite side, I dont think Rashid gets taken down, his balance is unreal, plus his footwork and counters I think will be enough to keep Beneil from getting on top

magomedov%2Bcounters.gif

Agreed re dariush needs to get him down but i dont think he can. Dariush relies on a blast double solely and hes not the most explosive guy. Dont see him having much joy getting this to the mat. Martin dragged rashid doen from a bodylock in r1 but hes a big strong lw. Burns managed a nice trip but hes good at that only ever seen doubles from dariush.

I really don't think Beneil needs to get this to the ground to win, wouldn't be suprised if he can win a competitive fight on the feet. I think people are over-hyping Magomedov and overlooking Beneil's striking.

It's easy to look good against bums like Rodrigo Damm, but I wonder how Magomedov would do against MJ. Also keep in mind that Rashid is coming off a knee injury and hasn't fought in a year and he's not training at elevation.

Waiting for one of my favourite bets, Alvey itd.
How can it be a favourite bet if you don't even know the line yet? also Nicholson can crack just as hard as Alvey, ITD seems likely but I wouldn't be 100 on Alvey getting it done. I

I really don't think Beneil needs to get this to the ground to win, wouldn't be suprised if he can win a competitive fight on the feet. I think people are over-hyping Magomedov and overlooking Beneil's striking.

It's easy to look good against bums like Rodrigo Damm, but I wonder how Magomedov would do against MJ. Also keep in mind that Rashid is coming off a knee injury and hasn't fought in a year and he's not training at elevation.

Nah. Rashid is one of if not the best strikers in the UFC from a purely technical angle. Beneil is alright, very good kicker, but slow and not that natural in the striking. MJ beat him easily, even rewatching the fight I didnt think it was too competitive.

Nah. Rashid is one of if not the best strikers in the UFC from a purely technical angle. Beneil is alright, very good kicker, but slow and not that natural in the striking. MJ beat him easily, even rewatching the fight I didnt think it was too competitive.
That's just not true, MJ did not beat him easily, he lost a competitive fight. MJ was losing the majority of the first until he landed a good shot and staggered Beneil, 2nd round was also very competive and the 3rd was cleary Beneil's. It's really about how you score the 2nd round. I thought MJ should of got the nod but it was closer than most people want to admit.

And yeah Rashid is a real slick counter striker and everything he throws is with good technique but we haven't seen him against anyone good, whats his biggest win, Gilbert Burns? who sucks

This is a big step up in competition for Rashid, I expect the fight to go the a decision and I think it will be very competitive.

If you think MJ lost that fight I have nothing more to say. I rewatched it recently, really tried to see it from Beneils side, but no. 2 plain rounds for MJ. The livebetting and everyone at the time agreed.

If you think MJ lost that fight I have nothing more to say. I rewatched it recently, really tried to see it from Beneils side, but no. 2 plain rounds for MJ. The livebetting and everyone at the time agreed.
can you read?

"I thought MJ should of got the nod but it was closer than most people want to admit."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back